James Tien

Jesse Smooth

On 4/3/2014 at 2:05 AM, The Dragon said:

It would have been nice if GH could have put an ensemble pic together with their staple of stars from the early 70's ala Shaws, like The Savage Five or The Naval Commandos... using the likes of

Bruce Lee

James Tien

Chang Yi

Jimmy Wang Yu

Sammo Hung

Carter Wang

Wong Ing Sik

Pai Yin

Wow... When you think about it, they had talents to rival Shaws big time! Too bad Raymond Chow was only interested in controlling Lee's destiny, instead of allowing him to lead the studio into the future...

Oh, well.

:squigglemouth:

Throw George Lazenby onto that list and you end up with the best film ever made 😁

• Like 2

On 4/2/2014 at 1:38 AM, Killer Meteor said:

Given Maria Yi ended her career by dropping out of (or being dropped from) The Tournament for refusing to do a nude scene - and hence her character has one scene, then is replaced by a Thai character later - I can understand her being a bit miffed about discussing her film work.

Wasn't she in Tiger from Northland...or am I misremembering?

• Like 2

I don't know much about James Tien, but here's my favorite line of his from THE BIG BOSS: "Watch out for knives!"

• Like 2

Killer Meteor
7 hours ago, Josh Baker said:

Wasn't she in Tiger from Northland...or am I misremembering?

She was...maybe she owed one movie on her contract.

• Like 2

Killer Meteor
1 hour ago, mpm74 said:

I don't know much about James Tien, but here's my favorite line of his from THE BIG BOSS: "Watch out for knives!"

He can't count either "four lousy guys" when there are six of them!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

He can't count either "four lousy guys" when there are six of them!

LOL! I forgot about that.  

On 12/12/2015 at 2:43 AM, DragonClaws said:

He's good at playing both heroes & villains and if you've not watched Spiritual Kung Fu or Hand Of Death I'd check those out. From the few films Ive watched him in, these two performances stand out. 

Hand of Death with Tan Tao Liang was a nice role for James Tien.  I tend to like him playing villains.

• Like 2

Cognoscente

He's not credited on IMDB or HKMDB but James was in Black Cobra Woman (83 minutes into the movie). Jack Palance was the star. I only knew about Tien's involvement thanks to an eBay search that took me to the June '76 issue of Golden Movie News (#51). This issue also contains an advertisement for a Roger Moore movie called The Sicilian Cross (co-starring Stacy Keach).

51june76.jpg

• Like 2

Killer Meteor
23 hours ago, Cognoscente said:

He's not credited on IMDB or HKMDB but James was in Black Cobra Woman (83 minutes into the movie). Jack Palance was the star. I only knew about Tien's involvement thanks to an eBay search that took me to the June '76 issue of Golden Movie News (#51). This issue also contains an advertisement for a Roger Moore movie called The Sicilian Cross (co-starring Stacy Keach).

51june76.jpg

That's some gut Tien is starting to get there...

• Like 2

Killer Meteor
On 4/17/2018 at 4:20 PM, shaw golden said:

from 1970s magazine only have a scan myself so not sure on quality

IMG_0015_NEW.jpg

Ouch

"The only problem with James Tien seems to be his weight. When we first saw him on screen he was slim and muscular but of late his girth seems to have increased somewhat. Perhaps his marriage early in 1974 had something to do with it. The studio claims he does not drink much but home cooking can spoil the form of a kung fu fighter."