Zombie Fight Club (2014)

Drunken Monk

Drunken Monk

I'm not sure exactly how much martial arts will be in this film but since it stars Philip Ng and Andy On and is called "Zombie Fight Club," it's safe to assume there will be some...

YO3vsKX.jpg

According to Impact Online...

Andy On and Phillip Ng get to outdo Brad Pitt and Edward Norton in the wonderfully titled Zombie Fight Club which just wrapped production in Taiwan. It’s the end of the Century, at a corner of the city in a building riddled with crime. Everyone in the building has turned into zombies. After Jenny’s boyfriend was killed in a zombie attack, she faces the challenge of surviving in the face of adversity. In order to stay alive she struggles with Andy to flee danger. The originally kind and warm hearted chemistry teacher is now the zombie leader and has transformed into a cruel, vicious character.

Violent activists match prisoners against zombies in a malicious killing game, the good side of humanity has seemingly all but vanished. Now that all order is lost, how will humans create a new century? A world of uncertainty awaits : The end? Hope? Or death?

And here's a promotional video that doesn't really tell us much at all...

RttBJ6WmvcE

One Armed Boxer

The trailer has just been released, all be it in fairly low quality, but it looks like this could be good B-movie fun, definitely nothing more -

wlq1Nv448Xc

I for one think this looks awesome!! I can't wait to see this! Even if it is a little cheesy, as to be expected with a title zombie fight club. I love zombies and needing to do kung fu for a hour to survive in a zombie pit! How can it possiably go wrong.

On the contrary, it told me all I need to know. smileyPuking.gif

Zombies and kung fu.. Even if it is cheesy.. It will be epic.. Versus was a B-budget cheese fest, but I loved that movie. This movie has far better screen performers and a much higher budget. I'm pumped

Damn 75 mins into the movie BEFORE the "zombie fight club" that kinda ruined my buzz.. Hopefully there is a lot of zombie decapitation before that.. Either way.. Andy on/zombie killin.. Ima see it

I know the movie will be terrible don't get me wrong. But cheesy head splatter horror movies are my guilty pleasure. As long as I see some zombie heads exploding with at least one good fight. I'll be satisfied spending the 2.99 to download from Amazon

zqkW5XRhaDI

This guy is normally spot on with his reviews. I wouldn't say this is a "positive" review, but it's definitely not a bad one. Who doesn't enjoy a mindless action movie with tons of blood and beautiful topless women :) like he said, as long as you can turn your brain off for the story. It should be a great time. I love zombie flicks and I live Andy On so its a pre order along with kung fu jungle from DDD house for me!

This movie is fricken horrid! Soooo cheezy! When the old man jumped in his "real steel" (alien/avatar rip off) machine. I had to stop watching. Sooooo bad!

I liked it. Of course, it is trashy beyond words, but the frantic pace and generous doses of action, gore and tits make it a guilty pleasure flick worth watching.

One Armed Boxer

I'll second kami...Chien seems to have learnt his lesson from 'Zomibe 108', and has created a zombie flick which is trashy lowbrow entertainment from start to finish, with liberal doses of blood splattered mayhem and scantily clad women. I posted a full review here -

http://www.cityonfire.com/zombie-fight-club-2014-review-andy-on-jessica-c-philip-ng/

ShaOW!linDude
I'll second kami...Chien seems to have learnt his lesson from 'Zomibe 108', and has created a zombie flick which is trashy lowbrow entertainment from start to finish, with liberal doses of blood splattered mayhem and scantily clad women. I posted a full review here -

http://www.cityonfire.com/zombie-fight-club-2014-review-andy-on-jessica-c-philip-ng/

And a fantastic review it is, OAB.:bigsmile: Don't know that I'll actively seek it out at the moment, but if I happen to stumble across it, I'm snagging this baby.

Question: What do you get when you mix The Raid with Night of the Living Dead, and add some dust from Chuck Palahniuk’s novel and David Fincher’s movie? Answer: Zombie Fight Club!

Zombie Fight Club (read Paul's review) is a martial arts/zombie flick is directed by Joe Chien (Zombie 108) and stars Phillip Ng (Wild CityBirth of the Dragon), Andy On (Special ID), Jessica C. (Double Trouble), Jack Kao (Zombie 108), Michael Wong (Nightfall), Terence Yin (Firestorm), Derek Tsang (Dream Home) and Candy Yuen.

Shout! Factory is releasing the movie on Blu-ray & DVD on February 2, 2016. 

91FMSEIEHrL._SL1500_.png

I'm going to assume this is a Hong Kong production, but the IMDB classifies it a Taiwanese one. Which affirmation is true?

masterofoneinchpunch
On 8/6/2020 at 10:21 AM, DrNgor said:

I'm going to assume this is a Hong Kong production, but the IMDB classifies it a Taiwanese one. Which affirmation is true?

Sun Entertainment Culture is a HK company. You will notice on IMDB it even has a Hong Kong release date for the CAT III film.  Hong Kong actors and I know there is a Cantonese dub with it (but also a Mandarin, I really need to take a look at my DVD).

Edited by masterofoneinchpunch
  • Like 1

ShaOW!linDude

Well, it's only taken almost a decade, but I finally got to watch this when I saw it had popped up on Tubi. Glad I watched it there because I would have been pretty miffed if I'd spent good money on this 10 years ago. Not because it's super-duper bad, but it just wasn't...hmmm, I don't know. It just didn't click with me.

Make no mistake, it's got a lot going for it that I like: zombies, a bevy of Asian beauties, gory kills, some MA thrown in. There are even some wholly out of place fantastical elements here. It's nuts. It's like the director took movies like The Raid, Fight Club, The Story of Ricky, and any standard zombie film, threw them in a blender, spliced the footage together, and made sure to spare no expense on the CGI blood. 

The depiction of zombies seems very haphazard, as though borrowing from ghoulish appearances from every version ever seen. And the f/x makeup looks cool at times and sloppy at others. Couldn't seem to settle on the zombie type either: slow or fast. You get a little of both. And there was no consistency to the kills. Everybody knows a head wound takes out zombies, not body shots, although apparently they do in this at times.

Probably what really irked me is that while Andy On and Phillip Ng are both cited as starring the movie, Ng doesn't show up till the very end when the Fight Club aspect of the movie finally kicks in during the last half hour. Their fight scene doesn't come close to matching their throwdown in Undercover Punch and Gun. But On does kick a lot of zombie butt throughout the movie, so there's that. 

Anyway, I finally got to see this and check it off the list. Don't see myself ever revisiting it though. You never know.