Outcast (2014)

AlbertV

arclight_lerins_r2_outcast_poster_final_pr%5B1%5D_%7B27b1d030-c4bd-e211-ad73-d4ae527c3b65%7D.jpg

Stuntmaster Nick Powell makes his directorial debut on this upcoming martial arts action period piece that stars Hayden Christensen, Nicolas Cage, Liu Yifei, Andy On, Ron Smoorenburg, Jawed El-Berni, the Dasz Brothers, Alaa Safi, and Fernando Chien.

The movie revolves around a mysterious warrior named Arken (Christensen), who teams up with the son and daughter of a deposed Chinese emperor to take on their evil Uncle, who seeks the throne for himself. Cage plays Gallain, a former Crusader turned bandit who helps Arken and the siblings on their quest.

Brett Chan and Tim Wong serve as the film's stunt coordinators. Filming was done last year and is currently in post. It's a Canadian-Chinese co-production.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One Armed Boxer

The trailer is out! Looks like Cage & Christensen will be joined by those 2 famous Chinese actresses - Crystal & Summer. Yes, exactly.

This looks even worse than I could have ever imagined, and I have a pretty active imagination.

As for Andy On, please, someone get this guy a new agent, he deserves so much better.

b9w8aobrMxk

Morgoth Bauglir

Lord of War is ok. Nic Cage is much better when he gets to go crazy like in Face Off and Bad Lieutenant.

One Armed Boxer
Nic cage is one of the worst actors in Hollywood..ugh

I wouldn't go that far. Cage was solid in most of his pre-2000 movies - 'Raising Arizona', 'Wild at Heart', 'Red Rock West', 'Leaving Las Vegas', 'The Rock', 'Con Air', 'Face/Off', 'Snake Eyes' , & 'Bringing Out the Dead' are all worthy watches, that saw him working with directors like the Coen Brothers, David Lynch, John Woo, Brian De Palma, & Martin Scorsese. There are actors out there who'd kill to have worked with just half of the names mentioned.

Then he kicked off the new millennium with 'Gone in 60 Seconds', and since then he's definitely made more bad than good, with some of that bad being very bad indeed. 'Outcast' looks like it'll definitely be adding to that statistic, although alongside a plank of wood like Christensen he could still come off as the one of the movies lesser problems.

More bad news for Outcast....it was supposed to have premiered in China today but financiers Yunnan Film Group halted it for reasons currently unknown.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/release-of-nicolas-cages-outcast-halted-in-china-1201314409/

Millennium Films scored the U.S. rights with a release date of sometime next year.

The movie might not be terrible but it's not far from it. The story is lame, the dialogues even lamer, characters are completely shallow and uninteresting, the action mostly depends on quick editing. And the film never bothers to explain where it's set. It certainly looks Chinese, but the captions read The Far East, and there's a king, so I guess everyone fights over the throne of the king of the far east in the 13th century where apparently opium smoking was a thing.

Avoid it and watch Netflix' MARCO POLO instead.

I saw the film and I concur with the critics...it's bad. Hayden Christensen wasn't convincing, Nicolas Cage just keeps going south, and even worse, Andy On was terribly wasted in this. I can see why China decided to delay when they did because they saw a dud as did I. 

Archived