High Kick Angels (2014)

Takuma

A new school girl martial arts film by Fuyuhiko Nishi (High Kick Girl) to make the Western world feel uncomfortable in their pants. No trailer yet, but some training videos on YouTube:

Mayu Kawamoto

UsPfjx-d08w

Kaede Aono:

http://youtu.be/LYhv3LXuOMo

Kanon Miyahara:

http://youtu.be/xsG6rIbyjRM

Twitter:

https://twitter.com/highkick_angels

Director's blog:

http://blog.livedoor.jp/nishifuyuhiko/

Kawamoto's stuff looks great... that's actually something that resembles fighting. The other girls sure are agile, but it remains to be seen if they can do more than kick hats off people's heads.

The film should be somewhat completed as Norman England tweeted he's currently working on the subtitles.

highang_zps27153c3c.jpg

One Armed Boxer

Count me in for this one! Sure there's a few instances of "I'm waiting for you to kick me" in the trailer, but not enough to detract from what looks like could be a fun flick.

Let's hope this movie doesn't kick off another Japanese school girls kicking in school uniform conversation like a certain other movie did a few years ago....:tongue:

that actually looked really decent! ill be checking this one out. lets just hope it can maintain that kinda action for a full 90 minutes

I enjoyed the first 2 movies in this High Kick series, but once again some of the fights look to staged and others the fights movie like a fast river. Its a shame because the Girls have some awesome potential.

ok, let me summarize this film in two words: Incredibly. Embarrassing.

The Story: a bunch on high school girls are filming their own martial arts movie in an empty school building. Then a group of bad guys appear, looking for money hidden in the building, and not quite expecting the corridors to be filled with karate-skilled school girls. The girls decide to fight their way out and film it.

The Good: Mayu Kawamoto! Remember that name. This 20 year old Kyokushin karate black belt (the world’s toughest karate variation, and Sonny Chiba’s primary art) is great. It was her promo videos prior to the film that were the most impressive, and she does the same in the film. Her fights are real action goodness: attacks, blocks, counter-moves, dodges, fast moving; in other words, intelligent, interactive and exiting fighting! It’s a shame she’s not the main character, but a supporting one.

The Bad: Everything else. The story is dull beyond belief. The music is horrible. The directing and almost all of the acting is incredibly childish and over-done, especially by the adult villains. It’s hard to say who is more irritating: the girls imitating Bruce Lee’s battle cries (+ borrowing looks and lines from Hiroko Yakushimaru and Meiko Kaji) or the adults (Chisato Morishita, Shingo Koyasu) sporting the corniest possible villain looks. Kanon Miyahara and Kaede Aono are the top billed school girls, and while both surely have some ability, most of their action looks way too much like a kicking demonstrations: the bad guys wait in line to be kicked or hit, and never even try to block.

Verdict: As wonderful as Mayu Kawamoto is, it’s hard to recommend the entire 90 minute film just for her. High Kick Angels has none of the slick (and partly unintentional) amusement of K.G, and it’s not even on par with High Kick Girl. It might work as a children’s movie, but that’s it. Wait for DVD and fast forward to Kawamoto’s scenes.

For another opinion, here's a review by a writer with whom I disagree with almost always:

http://www.filmbiz.asia/reviews/high-kick-angels

Note: The film is not directed by Nishi. I don't know why I thought so before. The director is Kazuhiro Yokoyama.

In case someone wants to torture himself by watching this film, the Japanese BD and DVD are coming November 5, 2014

hight1.jpg

Don't expect subs.

Was this movie better than high kick angels or Kg? I actually surprisingly liked those

High Kick Girl - 2.5/5

K.G. - 3.5/5

High Kick Angels - 1.5/5

I somewhat have a guilty pleasure of the HK series, dumb fun with some quite impressive fight work, but I still am having abit of trouble tracking this one down.

I really want to see it, I enjoyed the youtube clips they released.

Good to give these girls a shoe in for future MA films.

I somewhat have a guilty pleasure of the HK series, dumb fun with some quite impressive fight work, but I still am having abit of trouble tracking this one down.

I really want to see it, I enjoyed the youtube clips they released.

Good to give these girls a shoe in for future MA films.

I found a copy on ebay with no English subs, but the price is out of this world. Blu Ray was 124$ and dvd was 76$ noooooooo thank you. I'll wait a year and catch it on the cheap like I did KG and high kick girl 4.99$

I found a copy on ebay with no English subs, but the price is out of this world. Blu Ray was 124$ and dvd was 76$ noooooooo thank you.

Wow, someone's trying to get rich by selling the Japanese releases for more than twice their original price

I found a copy on ebay with no English subs, but the price is out of this world. Blu Ray was 124$ and dvd was 76$ noooooooo thank you. I'll wait a year and catch it on the cheap like I did KG and high kick girl 4.99$

Yeah when YesAsia has the DVD for $36.75 and the Blu-Ray for $65.99