Gun Woman (2014) - Bloody hell!!!! (Warning: NSFW)

Takuma

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

I just watched this last night and it wasn't exactly what I had expected. I actually agree with a lot of what Kami said here:

First of all I was shocked how really cheap this flick looks. I should have been warned by Takuma's words but I was not prepared for that. Especially the two English-speaking guys who look and act like two untalented amateurs trying to reproduce Tarantino-style dialogues are quite atrocious in every regard and are filmed in similarily amateurish manner.

Asami is the shining jewel in this arty-farty cheapo, she looks great, she acts good, she is able to handle her fights and she is naked most of the time. Another good thing is the action, the fights as well as the shootouts. However I'd expected much more action, the film is not exactly packed with the good stuff. What it has to offer are a ridiculous and boring story, long and training montages, lousy dialogues, bland visuals (DV) with the occasional beautiful image. Oh, and I forgot another merit, the atmospheric 80s-style-synthie-rock-score.

I was surprised that the two American guys were so bad, and that there was an inordinate amount of shaky, hand-held shots that I found both distracting, and out of place. Many of the compositions seemed well thought out, and would've made for good static shots in my opinion. But instead the camera was just jittering around for no story-benefiting purpose. The "telling the story" framing device was clunky, but managed to serve it's purpose. And like Kami, I also thought the film was going to be more of an action film, with less character development. The brutality depicted towards women was sickening and extremely hard to watch, but knowing that the culprits would undoubtedly be served a cold, hard, dish of revenge in the end made it watchable.

But strangely, despite all of these negatives, I found myself thoroughly enjoying the movie for it's outlandish elements, and punkish attitude. The action that there is, is everything it should've been. Great, brutal choreography. And the "Gun Woman" herself- actress Asami is brave, beautiful, and most definitely badass! I've seen professional martial arts stuntmen that were in tip-top shape, and protected from head to neck in safety pads, take a pretty serious beating while filming relatively simple action scenes. But here, Asami is completely naked, totally vulnerable to injury, and never looks less than totally convincing as she goes all-out, full speed ahead in her fights. They need to invent a special award just to give her for this performance! :smile: This is truly an insane film, that gives a huge middle finger to everyone with PC sensibilities.

Within it's own trashy, gory sub-genre, I'd give it a 7.5 out of 10.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Gotta post these two awesome stills from the film's facebook page

Those photos are insane!

Also stated on the Facebook site is that UK release is on its way (just signed, so may take a while, though)

That's good news.

The scandinavian DVD was released this week. Subtitles are only FIN/SWE/DAN/NOR. Extras include some behind the scenes stuff, Q&A with Kurando Mitsutake and Asami from a festival in Germany and trailers.

Behind the scenes stuff has english subs and Q&A has Kurando Mitsutake acting as a translator as he speaks excellent english.

The scandinavian DVD was released this week. Subtitles are only FIN/SWE/DAN/NOR. Extras include some behind the scenes stuff, Q&A with Kurando Mitsutake and Asami from a festival in Germany and trailers.

Behind the scenes stuff has english subs and Q&A has Kurando Mitsutake acting as a translator as he speaks excellent english.

What did think of the film?

What did think of the film?

I liked it. Very solid. Obviously the film is low budget and it shows but in the same time it's clear that everyone involved put a lot of effort in it. I also like the fact that it's actually quite serious film and doesn't resort to intentional goofiness. Asami's performance also deserves a special mention. Very extreme film so certainly not for everyone.

OpiumKungFuCracker
I liked it. Very solid. Obviously the film is low budget and it shows but in the same time it's clear that everyone involved put a lot of effort in it. I also like the fact that it's actually quite serious film and doesn't resort to intentional goofiness. Asami's performance also deserves a special mention. Very extreme film so certainly not for everyone.

That is also one of the reasons why I admire the film so much. With the budget restraint and the subject matter, this could easily be another Robo-Geisha or Mutant Girl Squad. Luckily that wasn't the case and like Takuma said, it was a hybrid and offspring of another hard boiled female vigilante flick in the same vein as Hard Revenge Melly. And also, she's naked for like the 2ne half of the movie??? Why the fuck would anyone not get on board with that? This movie appeals to dudes easily. naked chicks and gun fights??? That's how easy it is to please a dude. Dudes are incredibly one dimensional dumbasses.

One Armed Boxer
Now I understand why Japan Cinema never replied to my email. It wasn't about one reviewer plagiarizing reviews, it seem to be their site policy!

You'll love this Takuma...turns out the guy from Japan Cinema was only in it to get free movies, & plagiarised everyone!

Credit to mpm74 for the find.

Maybe I'm blind or something, but I had this going on while writing a report. Where in the hell was was Tatsuya Nakadai? I don't remember seeing him in the film at all.

Maybe I'm blind or something, but I had this going on while writing a report. Where in the hell was was Tatsuya Nakadai? I don't remember seeing him in the film at all.

Should be in a photo on a desk or wall or somewhere :tongue: I don't remember exactly.

Interview with Mitsutake:

http://twitchfilm.com/2015/05/interview-samurai-avenger-the-blind-wolfs-kurando-mitsutake-on-his-journey-from-japan-the-usa-and-ba.html

I can't disclose the title yet, but the new feature is going to be a martial arts movie. It's a project that was offered to me out of the blue. I didn't develop this one like the other ones, but they're letting me write the script so it's going to be my vision, my concept.

This amazing martial artist from Japan was presented to me, and my mission is to make him a movie star. He's amazing, he does karate, but it's a karate that no one has seen before. Kind of a dark side of karate, a pure assassination karate and I'm super excited.

One Armed Boxer

Sounds good! In the words of Gwai LO.....where can I buy the DVD!?

Somehow I feel like I'm spamming the thread, but...

this Q&A is pretty hilarious at times. Especially love Asami's reaction when Mitsutake explain why he chose her (from 0:10) :xd:

Also, it's almost surreal to hear a Japanese person speak perfect English.

ShaOW!linDude

Well, that's 80 odd minutes of my life I'll never get back. 

That was just...I don't even know how to describe it. I'm sorely disappointed in this. The plot was meh. The characters was just kind of there. I felt nothing for any of them. The training sequences were mundane. It certainly needed more action or the action it had needed to be better. And I found the end to be wholly anticlimactic. The only good thing I can say about this movie is it makes me want to watch a Japanese film with a strong female protagonist like the 2 Hard Revenge Milly movies. Don't waste your time on this. Go watch those.

I have to give full credit to Asami during that blood soaked naked fight scene, it's a pity she didn't fight the woman instead. 

Archived