Gun Woman (2014) - Bloody hell!!!! (Warning: NSFW)

Takuma

Just a quick heads up: Kurando Mitsutake’s new film Gun Woman is fucking amazing!!! Best Japanese action film since 2009’s Hard Revenge Milly: Bloody Battle. Looks cheap, and well, is cheap, but features an incredibly good soundtrack and ultra-brutal revenge storyline modelled after kung fu films but executed as gun action. Includes a full nude martial arts scene with Asami (who has clearly went through some training for this role), though. Also, career best performance by Asami (who doesn’t speak a single word in the film)

My full review:

http://sketchesofcinema.wordpress.com/2014/03/13/gun-woman/

Trailer (the film is 5 times better, though):

Posters:

gunw1.jpggunw2.jpg

gun3aa_zpsb966c3db.jpg

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Great to see you posting Takuma, it's been a while. :bigsmile:

This looks like my kind of movie. Looking forward to seeing it.

One Armed Boxer

Definitely good to see you back on board here Takuma, your presence has been missed.

I'll also check this out, last time I saw Asami she was snowballing a raw egg into a guys mouth in 'Dead Sushi'.

Sometimes I miss living in Japan.

Great to see you posting Takuma, it's been a while. :bigsmile:

Thanks. I actually sort of run into you on facebook a week ago :tongue:

Definitely good to see you back on board here Takuma, your presence has been missed.

got a little frustrated about things you're not allowed to talk about, but let's keep that stuff out of this thread.

I'll also check this out, last time I saw Asami she was snowballing a raw egg into a guys mouth in 'Dead Sushi'.

With Kanji Tsuda! Had fun with that scene in Yubari a few weeks ago in the Noboru Iguchi Night, in which Iguchi insisted on playing that scene for the audiences. Rina Takeda was there, too, and Asami was supposed to take part but Nishimura* fucked up the timing, which resulted in scheduling confict as Asami was elsehere presenting her film.

I really liked Asami in Gun Woman. She's usually overacting to no end (also in Iguchi's new film Live) but here she acts very restrained.

* Noboru Iguchi Night was part of the usual Yoshihiro Nishimura Forum Theater (which packs all kind of crazy program from splatter movies to insane live events like SM competition and eating sushi from a naked woman...). Originally Iguchi was called to do whatever he wished to kill some time and to let Nishimura rest... later he found out, though, that Nishimura had gone to sleep and left him responsible to the whole damn night. Iguchi's reaction: priceless! :tongue:

Here's Asami, director Kurando Mitsutake, and composer Dean Harada. Harada was actually sitting next to me, though had no idea who he was until he walked on the stage.

asakura_zpsd082888e.jpg

Between Takuma's endorsement and Twitch's, I know I have to see this. I've been itching for something a little off-the-wall.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Between Takuma's endorsement and Twitch's, I know I have to see this. I've been itching for something a little off-the-wall.

Yeah, me too. Waiting impatiently in PA. :nerd:

wow, somebody ripped off my review :tinysmile_angry2_t:

- http://japancinema.net/2014/04/04/gun-woman-review/

The first sentence and the entire last paragraph were copied directly from my review. That's about 40% of their entire review.

I'm almost certain they never saw the film. Even though they try to make roundabout statements and avoid adressing any character, actor or filmmaker by name, the review makes almost no sense at all. So don't worry when they say the performers haven't learned how to use a blade (there are no blades in the film) or how he has to hold back his gunplay and kicks (he has only one leg and he never fights)...

Well done JapanCinema.Net :tinysmile_angry2_t:

When does this release?

If you're talking about "wider" release or home video, no announcement yet. So far:

Festival:

Japan: February 28th, Yubari

USA: May 3rd, Texas Frightmare Weekend

Germany: May 29th, Hambrug Japan Film Fest

Theatrical

Japan: Summer 2014 (planned)

DVD and BD

Japan: Fall 2014 (planned)

wow, somebody ripped off my review :tinysmile_angry2_t:

- http://japancinema.net/2014/04/04/gun-woman-review/

The first sentence and the entire last paragraph were copied directly from my review. That's about 40% of their entire review.

I'm almost certain they never saw the film. Even though they try to make roundabout statements and avoid adressing any character, actor or filmmaker by name, the review makes almost no sense at all. So don't worry when they say the performers haven't learned how to use a blade (there are no blades in the film) or how he has to hold back his gunplay and kicks (he has only one leg and he never fights)...

Well done JapanCinema.Net :tinysmile_angry2_t:

Sent them mail on 19th, then another one on 26th. Frankly, I was expecting a reply. Never received one :squigglemouth:

I now left a comment under the review. I wonder if it will get ignored or deleted...

Well, I posted a comment under yours late last night before I went to bed. Still no response. That's really, really messed up, dude. Who the hell does that?

Thanks for the support.

Yeah, it's just odd. You see lazy students plagiarizing papers in school because they need to pass a course, but movie reviews? Why would someone plagiarize a movie review?

The guy has just published another review today: Precious Find.

- http://japancinema.net/2014/05/02/precious-find-review/

I ran a few sentences via google and surprise surprise, it turns out that review is compiled of a number of IMDb user reviews and the film's wikipedia page.

Some parts are from the IMDb review by Patrick R. Pearsey ("I began to realize that I was watching..."), others are taken from another IMDb user review ("Forgive me if You're a Mora fan..."), some are from wikipedia ("In the future. At Moon City..."), and some are from a review at A.V. Club ("While one of Blade Runner's strong points was its intricate")

- http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117373/reviews

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precious_Find

- http://www.avclub.com/review/precious-find-19404

Now I understand why Japan Cinema never replied to my email. It wasn't about one reviewer plagiarizing reviews, it seem to be their site policy!

Today I ran into their 2010 review of Profound Desires of the Gods (by a different reviewer, Marcello). This review steals parts from Electric Sheep Magazine ("Shot in an otherworldly palette of peaches..."), Cine Outsider ("Imamura was a filmmaker who liked..."), Game FAQ's forum ("They are digging a pit to appease the gods...") and probably other reviews also.

- http://www.electricsheepmagazine.co.uk/reviews/2010/07/03/profound-desires-of-the-gods/

- http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/228-movies-home-media/51092886?page=25

- http://www.cineoutsider.com/reviews/bluray/p/profound_desires_of_the_gods.html

Marcello seems to be their top reviewer. A few weeks ago he reviewed the Hong Kong movie The White Storm. This is stealing at least from several different IMDb user reviews ("He is a complete revelation..."), ("During an ensuing gun battle...")

- http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2957774/reviews

- http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2957774/reviews-2

On Japan Cinema’s About page they describe themselves as an engagingly written life style project. Engagingly written perhaps, but by who?

edit: summary of this all in my blog:

http://sketchesofcinema.wordpress.com/2014/05/05/japan-cinema-net-and-the-art-of-plagiarism/

Well now I'm pissed off. Japan Cinema's review is being quoted on the upcoming Nordic DVD release back-cover, even though actually every world in that (translated) quote was written by me. I sent the company email... let's see if they can still correct it. That's all I can do; Japan Cinema doesn't answer my emails or review comments.

However, now we have a couple of legit reviews as well, and they are kind positive...

"What would have happened if legendary transgressive Japanese director Takashi Miike had worked for Cannon during this time period? GUN WOMAN! 4.5/5"

- Dread Central

"It is a blast. It is mean and it is unrelenting and man, it is a cool-as-hell film. 4.5/5"

- Horror Movies.Ca

"Gun Woman is all the Jean Claude Van Damme, Steven Seagal, and the Cannon Films all meshed up together. 5/5"

- Horror Movies Uncut

:bigsmile:

OpiumKungFuCracker

Holy Fkin Shit, bloody hell indeed!!! This is going on the top of my list this year, fukk!!!!

German 3 Disc BD release is out

- BD

- DVD

- Soundtrack CD

Expensive but English friendly and according to Diabolik DVD, region free as well. Also available via DTM.

Gun_Woman_Mediabook_8Films.jpg

One Armed Boxer
German 3 Disc BD release is out

- BD

- DVD

- Soundtrack CD

Expensive but English friendly and according to Diabolik DVD, region free as well. Also available via DTM.

Gun_Woman_Mediabook_8Films.jpg

Time to stock up on some more Sea Food Cup Noodles Takuma?:tongue:

Time to stock up on some more Sea Food Cup Noodles Takuma?:tongue:

I'd love to, but even that wouldn't be enough :tongue:

Maybe if I'd try to sell some of those for a profit...

It's all because of Sonny Chiba, actually, but I don't blame him for it :tongue:

OpiumKungFuCracker

Out of Machine Gun Girl/Hard Revenge Milly/ and Gun Woman, can't decide which one I like better. Will have to revisit all these films again.

Out of Machine Gun Girl/Hard Revenge Milly/ and Gun Woman, can't decide which one I like better. Will have to revisit all these films again.

I've never been a big fan of The Machine Girl...

Ranking

1. Hard Revenge Milly: Bloody Battle (2009)

2. Gun Woman (2014)

3. Hard Revenge Milly (2008)

4. The Machine Girl (2008)

After reading Takuma's review I was quite psyched, now after watching it (it's been released in Germany/Austria) I must say the movie is a major disappointment. First of all I was shocked how really cheap this flick looks. I should have been warned by Takuma's words but I was not prepared for that. Especially the two English-speaking guys who look and act like two untalented amateurs trying to reproduce Tarantino-style dialogues are quite atrocious in every regard and are filmed in similarily amateurish manner.

Asami is the shining jewel in this arty-farty cheapo, she looks great, she acts good, she is able to handle her fights and she is naked most of the time. Another good thing is the action, the fights as well as the shootouts. However I'd expected much more action, the film is not exactly packed with the good stuff. What it has to offer are a ridiculous and boring story, long and rather unexciting training montages, lousy dialogues, bland visuals (DV) with the occasional beautiful image. Oh, and I forgot another merit, the atmospheric 80s-style-synthie-rock-score.

For connoiseurs of these pseudo-cult low budget gorefests a la ZOMBIE ASS or SAMURAI PRINCESS only, but beware, it looks even cheaper.

OpiumKungFuCracker
After reading Takuma's review I was quite psyched, now after I've watched it (it's been releases in Germany/Austria) I must say that it's a major disappointment. First of all I was shocked how really cheap this flick looks. I should have been warned by Takuma's words but I was not prepared for that. Especially the two English-speaking guys who look and act like two untalented amateurs trying to reproduce Tarantino-style dialogues are quite atrocious in every regard.

Asami is the shining jewel in this stinker, she looks great, she acts good, she is able to handle her fights, she is naked most of the time. Another good thing is the action, the fights as well as the shootouts. However I'd expected much more action, the film not exactly packed with the good stuff. What it has to offer are long and boring training montages, lousy dialogues, bland visuals (DV) with the occasional beautiful image. Oh, and I forgot another merit, the atmospheric 80s-style-synthie-rock-score.

63384530452478404732678.gif

ari-gold-gtfo-o.gif

Archived