Japanese Movie Recommendations

Jackie Fhan

Jackie Fhan

Hello guys

please list me your favorite movies that you have seen. Almost anything is ok, I'd like to watch a few more japanese movies as I have not seen a lot. I haven't even seen battle royal for example.

I wold like to provide these three movies for those who haven't seen them

Love and Honor-

Brief summary- about a samurai that loses his vision and needs help from others. I found this movie to be quite entertaining, and it doesn't exactly follow the rule set of most samurai flicks.

Black Belt-

this movie is set pre 1940's japan, basically involves the japanese army being corrpt and trying to take out the dojo's around japan. Three men are left at a dojo to make a choice near the end of the film. Very fun film

Tokyo Zombie- A very fun and not serious zombie movie, I highly suggest checking it out if those sort of things interest you.

Again, list anything you feel is good, crazy, fun whatever. I have a wide range of taste and interests. I love jackie chan, sammo hung, chinese films, korean, japan ... action, serious, drama, romantic, kill bill... just whatever guys. Give me your faves :)

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wheat Thin Man

If you're not opposed to anime, the Ghost in the Shell films and tv series are a must. Also check out:

Yakuza Papers

Outrage/Beyond Outrage

Lone Wolf and Cub

Yojimbo

Jackie Fhan
If you're not opposed to anime, the Ghost in the Shell films and tv series are a must. Also check out:

Yakuza Papers

Outrage/Beyond Outrage

Lone Wolf and Cub

Yojimbo

I have seen Ghost, it is great.

I'd also say gungrave is pretty good.

I heard outrage is good, haven't seen those yet. Will try these for sure.

I think I do own Lone Wolf.. maybe (I bought a lot) and didn't watch some of them yet. Haven't watched yojimbo yet either.

Not sure what Yakuza Papers is, but I'll look into that! thanks for the ideas.

Jackie Fhan

Anymore suggestions of movies I should pick out? I have looked over a few websites with things I may buy but would still like some input. I did buy a jackie chan movie (I know, not japanese) and it hasn't turned out so great.

I'd really suggest some of you try Tokyo Zombie though, I was quite surpirsed by the movie since I bought it with no prior knowledge to the film.

Vampire Hunter D was a pretty good anime as well for those who haven't saw it yet.

Akira, for those that may have never actaully saw it. it's worth it's weight in art for the time period imo.

Death trance

Versus

Battle royale

Azumi 1+ 2

Bushido man

Crows zero 1+2 (imo 2 was much better)

Ichi the killer

Blood heat

Why don't you play in hell

Shinobi heart under blade

Zatoichi

Aragami

Hara-kiri death of a samurai

Hard revenge milly 1+2

That's some of the ones I like.

If you liked Love and Honor. Check out Yoji Yamada's other movie in his trilogy of Samurai movies. The Hidden Blade and The Twilight Samurai. You will see a familiar face in The Twilight Samurai. Hirouki Sanada, who seems to be one of the go to actors when Hollywood needs a Japanese/Asian actor. He was in Lost, Rush Hour 3, and recently The 47 Ronin.

When the Last Blade is Drawn

I liked Gungrave for the most part although it did get drawn out and slow. I also didn't like the anime's deviation from the ending of the video game it was based on. The character design was by Yasuhiro Nightow who wrote and drew Vash The Stampede. It was also made into an anime.

Anymore suggestions of movies I should pick out? I have looked over a few websites with things I may buy but would still like some input. I did buy a jackie chan movie (I know, not japanese) and it hasn't turned out so great.

I'd really suggest some of you try Tokyo Zombie though, I was quite surpirsed by the movie since I bought it with no prior knowledge to the film.

Vampire Hunter D was a pretty good anime as well for those who haven't saw it yet.

Akira, for those that may have never actaully saw it. it's worth it's weight in art for the time period imo.

The original or the follow up with animation by Studio Madhouse? The 2nd one was Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust. The 1st one hasn't aged well.

Jackie Fhan
Death trance

Versus

Battle royale

Azumi 1+ 2

Bushido man

Ichi the killer

Blood heat

Zatoichi

Aragami

Hard revenge milly 1+2

Good List and appreciated. I know of some of these some I don't.

I would like to comment on Versus. I have seen this movie, and for some reason I found that movie to be a little sub par. Not quite sure, but it just felt a little cheap to me or something. I can understand why some liked it, but ah.

I will have to look into a few of these that I think I haven't heard of at all, so appreciate this.

I was wondering if I would like Ichi the Killer as I don't like over amounts of blood like Machine girl, which I actually also found silly. Doesn't mean I wouldn't like Ichi though.

If you liked Love and Honor. Check out Yoji Yamada's other movie in his trilogy of Samurai movies. The Hidden Blade and The Twilight Samurai. You will see a familiar face in The Twilight Samurai. Hirouki Sanada, who seems to be one of the go to actors when Hollywood needs a Japanese/Asian actor. He was in Lost, Rush Hour 3, and recently The 47 Ronin.

When the Last Blade is Drawn

I liked Gungrave for the most part although it did get drawn out and slow. I also didn't like the anime's deviation from the ending of the video game it was based on. The character design was by Yasuhiro Nightow who wrote and drew Vash The Stampede. It was also made into an anime.

Now, I think I actually own hidden blade (it's not where I live now) but the other two I do not, and I'm eager to give these a try. Thanks for the ideas, sound great. Yeah, I didn't watch all of gungrave, I got through quite a few but it seemed so great, a little sad to hear it doesn't end as well as I hoped. I didn't playe the games yet, but they always looked quite good too. I never watched Vash, is that something worth while overall.

The original or the follow up with animation by Studio Madhouse? The 2nd one was Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust. The 1st one hasn't aged well.
To be honest, my memory is being a little poor, if it was the first or 2nd. It looked pretty old, so I'm not sure. I'd think it was the orginal, but it seemed fine to me when I watched it.

Some people were statisfied with the ending for Gungrave. I didn't think it was as good as the video game. The anime had better character development and explained a lot more of the backstory. The video game Gungrave 2 is more or less the same as the 1st game. They try to shoehorn in a story that fits with the continunity. They throw in 2 other playable characters who change the gameplay somewhat. Good luck beating the damn thing because, I found the end boss damn near impossible.

If you liked Vampire Hunter D. Watch Vapire Hunter D: Bloodlust. It was what the 1st one should have been. I thought the ending was where they started to lose focus and threw together a ending to conclude the story.

I recommend the anime series Cowboy Bebop.

Versus looks cheap because it was done on a low budget. The crappy film used also might have something to do with it. However, I found it fun.

There's like a thousand movies I could recommend, but let's start with just a few.

Love Exposure (Sion Sono, 2008)

Watch! Watch! Watch! Tons of people, including me, think this is the most incredible piece of cinema made in the past 15 years! Sono's epic 4 hour love story is about upskirt photography, religious cults, martial arts, girl gangs, and much more. It feels like 90 minutes! There are no words to describe how great this film is.

Swallowtail Butterfly (Shunji Iwai, 1996)

This is probably the most impressive genre cocktail ever made. Iwai’s masterpiece is a coming of age drama set in the Tokyo slums, which are populated by would-be pop stars, former boxers, prostitutes, doctors gone tattoo artists, gangs, and assassins with sniper rifles and bazookas. Just how naturally it all comes together – action, horror, drama, music – is phenomenal. Trailer

Lone Wolf and Cub films

The 6 film series (1972-1974) is the most badass samurai epic you'll ever encounter. Ogami Itto travels the country and employs himself as an assassin, while the treacherous Shadow Yaguy clan sends hundereds of ninjas after him. Staggeringly violent and cool. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7CDOYtd9DA.

70's Pinky Violence films

One of the best things Japan ever invented, though it's hard to name just one film over the others. These action films packed with sex, violence, and badass girls cover several sub-genres from schoolgirl gang films (Terrifying Girls' High School: Lynch Law Classroom, 1973) to period chambara (Bohachi Bushido: Code of the Forgotten Eight, 1973), Female Yakuza (Sex & Fury, 1973), crime (Zero Woman: Red Handcuffs, 1974) nunsploitation (School of the Holy Beast, 1974) and state of the art women in prison movies (Female Prisoner Scorpion: Jailhouse 41, 1972). The films are also remarkable for their style: the visuals and cinematography are often breathtaking, even rivalling Dario Argento. Scene from

70's Karate films

Sonny Chiba was the biggest asshole in the history of martial arts. You pissed him off and he didn't just kick your ass, he ripped off your dick and fed it to dogs. The Street Fighter (1974), Karate Bearfighter (1975) and The Killing Machine (1975) are some of his best films. Don't expect Hong Kong style balletic choreography, but brutal and nasty karate fighting. Also don't miss Chiba protege Etsuko Shihomi (Sister Street Fighter, 1974) for some girl-karate (and just as brutal). They both also co-star in the excellent, Hong Kong style Roaring Fire (1981) (a possible influence to Jackie Chan) full of martial arts and amazing stunts.

Sonatine (1993) and Hana-Bi (1997) (Takeshi Kitano)

Two absolute masterpieces by Takeshi Kitano. Genius, beautiful, violent, and staggeringly original. The soundtracks by Joe Hisaishi are wonderful as well.

The Man who Stole the Sun (Kazuhiko Hasegawa,1979)

A major cult film scripted by Leonard Schrader and directed by Kazuhiko Hasegawa, who only ever helmed two movies on his career. Pop star Kenji Sawada stars as a high school teacher who becomes a one man terrorist organization after stealing plutonium and building his own nuclear bomb to blackmail the Japanese government!

Linda Linda Linda (Nobuhiro Yamashita, 2005)

Nobuhiro Yamashita made some of my favorite films of all time (especially Ramblers, 2003) before moving on to mainstream. For a newcomer Linda Linda Linda is the best place to start. A superb mainstream film that doesn't miss on Yamashita's dry humour and wonderful characters, and adds lots of great music.

House (Nobuhiko Obayashi, 1977)

It's not Obayashi's best film (that would be Futari, which is the closest to live action Hayao Miyazaki movie the world will ever come!), but when did you last see piano eat a woman? Enough said...

Crazy Thunder Road (Sogo Ishii, 1980)

The greatest punk movie ever made is a love song for all the crazy bikers. Ishii, who was still in university at the time of filming, showed big studios how to do it. The action scenes at the end bring studio production to shame, and the soundtrack is one of the best ever. Takeshi Kitano's favorite movie.

crazytt.jpg

Jackie Fhan
Death trance

Bushido man

Ichi the killer

Blood heat

Zatoichi

Aragami

Hard revenge milly 1+2

I saw Bushido Man at a store near me, I may pick it up if it has english and give it a try.

I added Crows Zero to my interests. Also added Hara kiri and milly.

Some people were statisfied with the ending for Gungrave. I didn't think it was as good as the video game. The anime had better character development and explained a lot more of the backstory. The video game Gungrave 2 is more or less the same as the 1st game. They try to shoehorn in a story that fits with the continunity. They throw in 2 other playable characters who change the gameplay somewhat. Good luck beating the damn thing because, I found the end boss damn near impossible.

If you liked Vampire Hunter D. Watch Vapire Hunter D: Bloodlust. It was what the 1st one should have been. I thought the ending was where they started to lose focus and threw together a ending to conclude the story.

I recommend the anime series Cowboy Bebop.

Versus looks cheap because it was done on a low budget. The crappy film used also might have something to do with it. However, I found it fun.

I hope to come across more anime for cheap and I'll try a lot more of these, VHD for sure. I never watched many of the actual series but I may give a few of these such as bebop a try as well, thanks for the suggestion. I saw a movie before with swords and fighters in trees and other locations (anime) and things a few years back that I felt was pretty good, forgot the name now. I'll try to find it later. May have been 5 or 7 years ago. It had a US release though..

I didn't play the gungrave games yet, I had them before and not even sure if I still own them, maybe not. Will have to pick them up again.

Jackie Fhan
There's like a thousand movies I could recommend, but let's start with just a few.

Love Exposure (Sion Sono, 2008)

Watch! Watch! Watch! Tons of people, including me, think this is the most incredible piece of cinema made in the past 15 years! Sono's epic 4 hour love story is about upskirt photography, religious cults, martial arts, girl gangs, and much more. It feels like 90 minutes! There are no words to describe how great this film is.

Swallowtail Butterfly (Shunji Iwai, 1996)

This is probably the most impressive genre cocktail ever made. Iwai’s masterpiece is a coming of age drama set in the Tokyo slums, which are populated by would-be pop stars, former boxers, prostitutes, doctors gone tattoo artists, gangs, and assassins with sniper rifles and bazookas. Just how naturally it all comes together – action, horror, drama, music – is phenomenal. Trailer

Lone Wolf and Cub films

The 6 film series (1972-1974) is the most badass samurai epic you'll ever encounter. Ogami Itto travels the country and employs himself as an assassin, while the treacherous Shadow Yaguy clan sends hundereds of ninjas after him. Staggeringly violent and cool. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7CDOYtd9DA.

70's Pinky Violence films

One of the best things Japan ever invented, though it's hard to name just one film over the others. These action films packed with sex, violence, and badass girls cover several sub-genres from schoolgirl gang films (Terrifying Girls' High School: Lynch Law Classroom, 1973) to period chambara (Bohachi Bushido: Code of the Forgotten Eight, 1973), Female Yakuza (Sex & Fury, 1973), crime (Zero Woman: Red Handcuffs, 1974) nunsploitation (School of the Holy Beast, 1974) and state of the art women in prison movies (Female Prisoner Scorpion: Jailhouse 41, 1972). The films are also remarkable for their style: the visuals and cinematography are often breathtaking, even rivalling Dario Argento. Scene from

70's Karate films

Sonny Chiba was the biggest asshole in the history of martial arts. You pissed him off and he didn't just kick your ass, he ripped off your dick and fed it to dogs. The Street Fighter (1974), Karate Bearfighter (1975) and The Killing Machine (1975) are some of his best films. Don't expect Hong Kong style balletic choreography, but brutal and nasty karate fighting. Also don't miss Chiba protege Etsuko Shihomi (Sister Street Fighter, 1974) for some girl-karate (and just as brutal). They both also co-star in the excellent, Hong Kong style Roaring Fire (1981) (a possible influence to Jackie Chan) full of martial arts and amazing stunts.

Sonatine (1993) and Hana-Bi (1997) (Takeshi Kitano)

Two absolute masterpieces by Takeshi Kitano. Genius, beautiful, violent, and staggeringly original. The soundtracks by Joe Hisaishi are wonderful as well.

The Man who Stole the Sun (Kazuhiko Hasegawa,1979)

A major cult film scripted by Leonard Schrader and directed by Kazuhiko Hasegawa, who only ever helmed two movies on his career. Pop star Kenji Sawada stars as a high school teacher who becomes a one man terrorist organization after stealing plutonium and building his own nuclear bomb to blackmail the Japanese government!

Linda Linda Linda (Nobuhiro Yamashita, 2005)

Nobuhiro Yamashita made some of my favorite films of all time (especially Ramblers, 2003) before moving on to mainstream. For a newcomer Linda Linda Linda is the best place to start. A superb mainstream film that doesn't miss on Yamashita's dry humour and wonderful characters, and adds lots of great music.

House (Nobuhiko Obayashi, 1977)

It's not Obayashi's best film (that would be Futari, which is the closest to live action Hayao Miyazaki movie the world will ever come!), but when did you last see piano eat a woman? Enough said...

Crazy Thunder Road (Sogo Ishii, 1980)

The greatest punk movie ever made is a love song for all the crazy bikers. Ishii, who was still in university at the time of filming, showed big studios how to do it. The action scenes at the end bring studio production to shame, and the soundtrack is one of the best ever. Takeshi Kitano's favorite movie.

crazytt.jpg

Thanks for this, I'm going to sort through this, see what I can buy and how and give a fwe of these a try. Might as well start at the top, will see if the places near me (shipping wise) have them and I'll report back later on with this list, thanks!

Are there any issues with the US release of Love Exposure? I may have to check a few more websites to find a cheaper asian release

Swallowtail Butterfly, found on yesasia, may give it a go first.Hana is also on Yesasia, not a bad price.

Sex & Fury, sonatine found on DDDhouse, will look around a bit before I plunge.

Some of or a lot of the punk 70's wasn't on the two sites I looked at.

Regarding Sonny Chiba

http://www.yesasia.com/global/classic-sonny-chiba-collection-4pc-coll-box-us-version/1025021530-0-0-0-en/info.html

Street Fighter Collection?

http://www.yesasia.com/global/sonny-chiba-street-fighter-collection-2pc-us-version/1025021688-0-0-0-en/info.html

Or stay away?

What about his G.I. Samurai movie?

Anyone know anything about this box set, it doesn't say what is there or anything. May be terrible...

I can't find crazy thunder road it seems, hmmm. Futari, does it have another name

If you haven't seen it yet... I found Goemon to be very entertaining :wink:

L9w2eIvu1Fk

Kamui Gaiden was also quite entertaining although some of the CGI was really bad

aJpt2fWIBuQ

Also, I'm assuming you're familiar with animes like Ghost in the Shell, Jin-Roh, Perfect Blue, Ninja Scroll, Princess Mononoke, Grave of the Fireflies, Laputa - Castle in the Sky etc.

On a special note I'd like to point out this particular anime which blew my mind

cyZLOYAbp4w

I wrote this really fast... I sorry for typos in advance...

Are there any issues with the US release of Love Exposure? I may have to check a few more websites to find a cheaper asian release

Probably nothing major. UK Blu-Ray seems to have better transfer though.

Swallowtail Butterfly, found on yesasia, may give it a go first.Hana is also on Yesasia, not a bad price.

Hana? Hana and Alice? Yeah, that's a good film, too. From Iwai I also recommend Picnic and All About Lily Chou Chou (though I think there's still no good release outside Japan...)

Sex & Fury, sonatine found on DDDhouse, will look around a bit before I plunge.

Hong Kong release of Sonatine ought to be crap, go for the R1 (it's a double feature dvd with Zatoichi) instead.

- www.amazon.com/dp/B0002W4TOO/

For Sex and Fury R1 is the safe bet. Excellent quality. UK should be fine as well:

- www.amazon.com/dp/B002LFPADO

Some of or a lot of the puink 70's wasn't on the two sites I looked at.

Pinky Violence Box Set

- www.amazon.com/dp/B000BLI5UU/

Bohachi Bushido

- www.amazon.com/dp/B00118SUJ8/

Female Yakuza Tale

- www.amazon.com/dp/B000AQKUWW

Female Prisoner Scorpion + Jailhouse 41

- www.amazon.com/dp/B0001FVEDG

- www.amazon.com/dp/B003VADSRI/

Zero Woman

- www.amazon.com/dp/B000B9E2NQ/

School of the Holy Beast

- www.amazon.com/dp/B000AA4F9W

Stay away. Those are crap. For the Street Figher movies get the UK Box Set by Optimum

- www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0007CTKY8/

Or one by one:

- www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0006M4S3W

- www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0002HSDUU/

- www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0002HSDV4

What about his G.I. Samurai movie?

Not one of his very best, but still a lot of fun. The R1 re-release is the best one:

- www.amazon.com/dp/B0012SATAU/

The older is release is also fine, but inferior transfer and barebones

- www.amazon.com/dp/B0002ZYE0K/

For other Chibas, I actually wrote this to a fellow forum member on another board just a few days ago.. I'll just copy-paste:

Ok, here's what I recommend buying

Masutatsu Oyama Trilogy (Karate Bullfighter, Karate Bearfighter, Karate for Life) (R1): all remastered and original language. If you can't find the box set for good price, then try getting the stand alone releases of the first two films.

- http://www.amazon.com//dp/B000OTHVWW/

- http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002ZMJ3Y/

- http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002YLDS2/

Lethal Chiba (Executioner 1&2 + The Killing Machine) (R1): all remastered and original language

- http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000L43P9I/

Sister Street Fighter Collection (all 4 films) (R1) Remastered and original language.

- http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GTJT1Q/

Shogun's Shadow (R1) Remastered and original language.

- http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00080EVEI/

or alternatively in the Shogun Collection box set

- http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000H5U67A/

There's still many more Chiba releases worth owning, but I recommend staring with those. Many of the others either feature Chiba in a supporting role (e.g. the great cheesy pop-samurai adventure Legend of the Eigh Samurai, or the great post apocalyptic disaster movie Virus) or are a bit difficult to obtain (Roaring Fire is fantastic, but only unsubbed R2J available. Dragon Princess only has dubbed US release - the R2J has no subs).

I can't find crazy thunder road it seems, hmmm. Futari, does it have another name

Crazy Thunder Road is, and will remain to be (due to soundtrack copyright issues) only available from Japan (no subs unless you add them there yourself).

- http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/TMSS-121

- http://www.yesasia.com/global/kuruizaki-thunder-road-japan-version/1021325879-0-0-0-en/info.html

Or if you wanna go HC and invest a fortune, Punk Years box set (I have this... the "booklet" alone is 140 pages...):

- http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/TMSS-31

- http://www.yesasia.com/global/ishii-sogo-sakuhin-shu-dvd-box-1-punk-years-1976-1983-japan-version/1021330086-0-0-0-en/info.html

Futari also only on R2J without subs, custom sub scrip available though if you wanna add them by yourself.

- http://www.yesasia.com/global/futari-deluxe-edition-japan-version/1002802916-0-0-0-en/info.html

Jackie Fhan

That's a long list, I will have to sort through it a little later. I should have mentioned I was in China though and I don't think amazon would ship to me. I guess I could always order and have my grandmother or someone ship it to me them self. I'll look over that list a little harder... I do worry about getting bad movies in a few places.

Jackie Fhan

I ended up getting some of these movies.

I had a few questions if any of you are still around.

I did get Sex and Fury but haven't watched it yet as well.

I saw the crows zero movies and really enjoyed them actually, I saw that there is now a third one out, how is that one?

Any other movie suggestions would also be welcome :tongue:

Archived