Jem and the Holograms (2015)

AlbertV

yzVnNVrunAE

Yup...the 80's cartoon is coming to life! The video above confirms the following:

-Jon M. Chu (GI JOE: RETALIATION and the next GI JOE film) will be directing

-The movie is being produced by Scooter Braun (manager of that damn Bieber and the Wanted) and Jason Blum (the Paranormal Activity films).

No casting has been announced yet...

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can someone stop John Chu from making movies? I hated G I Joe 2. The 1st one was ridiculous enough to be entertaining. The second one was just a muddled piece of crap that I couldn't enjoy at all.

Chu directed the Bieber documentary. He should direct a 2nd one about him trying to stay out of jail amongst all his idiot antics.

He also directed Step Up 2, and 3.

Secret Executioner

After Transformers and GI Joe (along with some more I guess, like that supposedly upcoming "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (that are from outer space actually)" film), 80s kids will see yet another part of their childhood being shamelessly raped... :rolleyes:

After Transformers and GI Joe (along with some more I guess, like that supposedly upcoming "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (that are from outer space actually)" film), 80s kids will see yet another part of their childhood being shamelessly raped... :rolleyes:

Man, wtf? There's so many cool cartoon to do (He-man, Thundercats, Robotech/Macross, Voltron) and yet they're doing this? From what I understand, the director bailed out of He-Man to do this.

Man, wtf? There's so many cool cartoon to do (He-man, Thundercats, Robotech/Macross, Voltron) and yet they're doing this? From what I understand, the director bailed out of He-Man to do this.

The good news is that He-Man is still going forward as they are searching for a new director and even Channing Tatum's name came up with a possibility of playing Adam/He-Man. However, he is taking a hiatus as of now, so who knows.

Well, it's happened...not only has filming went underway, but Chu announced yesterday the lead cast of Jem and the Holograms...talk about filming at a breakneck pace...a not too often good sign?

AwiSK8m.jpg

Jem - Aubrey Peeples (NASHVILLE)

Kimber - Stefanie Scott (A.N.T. FARM)

Shana - Aurora Perrineau (PRETTY LITTLE LIARS)

Aja - Hayley Kiyoko (SCOOBY DOO: THE MYSTERY BEGINS)

Secret Executioner

Boy, it looks more like a cosplay picked at a convention than the cast of a movie - why not make this an animated movie or a motion-capture film (sorta like Tintin) ? Would be better IMO.

Ryan Guzman, soon to star in upcoming MMA film Hold Your Ground, will play Jem's love interest and music techie Rio Pacheco (will he sport the purple hair? Who knows)

Dark Horizons:

Ryan Guzman ("Step Up All In") has joined the cast of the "Jem and the Holograms" movie based on the popular 1980s toy line and cartoon series.

Guzman is playing Rio, the road manager and technical engineer for the band. He is also Jem's love interest in this live-action musical adventure.

Secret Executioner

Man, sounds like the people in this film will be more colorful than the cast of the cartoon series Doug. :tongue:

Dark Horizons:

Juliette Lewis and Molly Ringwald have both joined the cast of Jon M. Chu's upcoming "Jem and the Holograms" movie. Both their roles are being kept secret for now.

Secret Executioner
Dark Horizons:

Juliette Lewis and Molly Ringwald have both joined the cast of Jon M. Chu's upcoming "Jem and the Holograms" movie. Both their roles are being kept secret for now.

Wild guess: members of the rival band The Misfits (nothing to do with Glenn Danzig's Misfits) ?

The first photo is up and all I have to say is...Oh Hell NO!!!!

PfVPZig.jpg

*sniff**sniff* Do I smell a definite Razzie? Hasbro do yourself a favor...please give the rights back to Christy Marx (the creator of Jem - she had no input whatsoever with this!)

I've heard about it and according to some friends of mine, the comic book sounds much better than the movie we're about to get.

The second trailer showed Synergy...WTH...a Wall-E clone??? No!

The comic is pretty cool and the art is just superb.  Check it out, Albert.

Need to see both trailers but I'm not getting my hopes up at all.  Here's to lowered expectations!

Yeah...I was hoping with the first trailer that it was going to be a bait and switch, but no...just Pitch Perfect minus the gags and with extra angst.

Don't even get me started...It's because of stepped in freshly made dogshit with the vapor coming out out on a cold day crap movies like this is why I go on my rant about how they would rather do wasteful projects instead of promising ones like Thundercats or even The Bionic Six from the '80's.

I'm not saying that I never watched the cartoon Jem back in the day but seriously..A live action movie? Some things should not be attempted.Let's not forget that Super Mario bros movie people....? 

Well, I don't mind a live action movie, but my issue is that Hasbro practically jumped the gun here (majorly) and never even gotten input from the original creator of the character. While she goes on to support the film publicly, I think deep down, she's thinking "Are you kidding me?" The same can be said when Akira Toriyama, creator of Dragonball, supported DB: Evolution publicly but then pretty much retracted that after its release. And the creator of the Tekken game basically washed his hands of the live action versions. 

Personally, if you're going to adapt something that fans have loved, don't you think it would be wise to at least gain some knowledge from the people who actually created it? If you're just going to expect $$$ out of it...the proof is in the pudding. Hmmmm?

Well, I don't mind a live action movie, but my issue is that Hasbro practically jumped the gun here (majorly) and never even gotten input from the original creator of the character. While she goes on to support the film publicly, I think deep down, she's thinking "Are you kidding me?" The same can be said when Akira Toriyama, creator of Dragonball, supported DB: Evolution publicly but then pretty much retracted that after its release. And the creator of the Tekken game basically washed his hands of the live action versions. 

Personally, if you're going to adapt something that fans have loved, don't you think it would be wise to at least gain some knowledge from the people who actually created it? If you're just going to expect $$$ out of it...the proof is in the pudding. Hmmmm?

You're about half right.The owner/creator of the franchise is just as much at fault as the producers of these farcical cinema releases because they're seduced by the propensity to make cash flow as well.They have to be the ones to say:"If I can't be involved with the project and have a say in how I want my creation to be presented" then responsibility falls on their shoulders if the film is a dud.

Frank Miller makes sure that he's involved in all that relates to his creations which is why 300 and Sin City did so well.Face it,If you really care about your work that you created then no matter what deal you make,you have to either play a role in how your creation is expressed or at the very least make sure it's in the hands of someone who has done their research and will present what you have originated with the utmost respect both to you and your fanbase.

Well, sadly in the case of Marx, before the live action movie was even considered, Hasbro already owned the property and she just came up with the names of the characters apparently. She had even wrote her own script to a live-action movie, which Hasbro rejected. She said the following in a Facebook post back in March:

Not surprisingly, I’m being inundated with inquiries about the Jem movie. Here’s what I have to say about it.

I’ll answer the obvious and most frequent question first: No, I had no inkling that the movie was being developed or had reached this stage until a couple of days ago. Someone high in the Hasbro PR department thoughtfully reached out to me to let me know about the movie and the impending announcement so that I wouldn’t be blindsided by it. I appreciated that gesture.

That same afternoon, John Chu also reached out and called me and we had a long, wonderful talk. I greatly enjoyed talking with him, sharing our love of Jem, and becoming acquainted.

Many people wonder how I feel about it. I don’t think I can hide that I’m deeply unhappy about being shut out of the project. That no one in the entertainment arm of Hasbro wanted to talk to me, have me write for it, or at the very least consult on it. I wouldn’t be human if that failed to bother me.

My other unhappy observation is that I see two male producers, a male director and a male writer. Where is the female voice? Where is the female perspective? Where are the women?

Now, as far as not bringing me on-board, that’s the reality of franchise IPs. It’s their property, they can do whatever they want with it, and they have no obligations whatsoever to me. Was it a smart decision? You decide.

Finally, I want to say good things about John Chu. He treated me with honesty and respect. He is sincere, passionate, and filled with a desire to make the best Jem movie he can make. He wants to reinvent Jem for a current audience. His take is somewhat different from the approach I wanted to take, but that just means it’s different, not that there’s anything wrong with it. I urge everyone to judge the merits of his work on the result and I hope he delivers us an excellent, truly outrageous movie.

It will be truly outrageous alright...an outrageous piece of &$*#!!!! Razzie Awards, here they come!!!

Variety has posted a film review and exactly what I suspected!!! Total piece of #@&! Especially when they changed it up so that Rio is of all things, Erica Raymond's flippin son!!! And the only things having to do with the original cartoon are the character names....ugh!!!

I'll stick with the Josie and the Pussycats film, which I think is an underrated cult masterpiece.

It sucks that Jem and the Holograms doesn't even work on its own levels as well as an adaptation.

Just as I thought...

The film was made on a $5 million dollar budget and it only made $1.3 million this past weekend. It was hailed as one of the worst openings for a big studio movie.

Archived