League of Gods (Formerly The Investiture of Gods) (2015) - Jet Li

DiP

The upcoming project - based on the novel with the same title about the decline of Shang Dynasty (1600 BC–1046 BC) and the rise of the Zhou Dynasty (1046 BC–256 BC) - will be helmed by Wilson Yip (his first project after a two-year hiatus from making movies). The cast will also consist of Shu Qi, Louis Koo, Huang Xiaoming, AngelaBaby, and Tony Leung Ka-Fai.

Sources:

https://twitter.com/lovehkfilm/status/446589421895159808

https://twitter.com/lovehkfilm/status/446589699818147840

One Armed Boxer
I wonder who will play NaCha?

Is NaCha sometimes spelt as Nezha?

If that's the case then it seems Cecilia Cheung was given the role, after scheduling conflicts wouldn't allow for their original choice of Wen Zhang. However in rather dramatic news, Cheung was fired from the movie this week due to frequently not turning up for filming.

Ironically, Cheung being fired has now resulted in Zhang being able to take the role.

Full details can be found in the article below -

http://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyle/movies/story/cecilia-cheung-fired-producer-tiffany-chen-accuses-actress-wilful-hurtful-ant

• Like 1

Yep, Na Cha is sometime spell as Nezha. But also spelt as No Cha, Li No-Cha, , Li Nozha, Li No-Zha, Li Nezha, Li Ne-Zha.

Also the lead star is Jacky Heung who is playing Lei Zhenz (Thunder God). He is the producer's son.

A movie with both the characters of Na Cha & Jiang Ziya and neither one of them being the lead.

Too bad Cecilia Cheung is out. That was her chance to get back in and she may have just "destroyed" her last big chance to get back in the business.

I think that there is also another change in the cast.

Fang Bingbing have replace Shu Qi as Su Daji. If true then that will be FBB 2nd time playing that character. She played it before in the 2009 TV series of the same name.

Here is the cast so far & their role.

Jet Li –Jiang Ziya

Wen Zhang - Nezha (NaCha)

Louis Koo – Mahamayuri aka (peacock) Wisdom King

Angelababy - Mermaid

Huang Xiaoming – Erlan Shen (Yang Jian)

Tony Leung Ka Fai – King Zhou of Shang (Zhou Xin)

Fang Bingbing –Su Daji ask Fox spirit (as in nine-tailed fox spirit)

I haven't read who is playing the King Wu of Zhou (Zhou Wu Wang) and if Li-Jing ( Nezha father) character will be in the movie.

In fact this is a novel that just 1 movie will not do it justice - too many characters & events.

Site showing Jet Li in costume, probably for his role in Investiture - http://www.maactioncinema.com/?p=2710.

To confuse things, there's another version of Investiture of the Gods that is also scheduled for release in 2016, a Chinese animated feature under a different title, Master Jiang and the Six Kingdoms. Youtube trailer -

eA0JVAeSibc

Site showing Jet Li in costume, probably for his role in Investiture - http://www.maactioncinema.com/?p=2710.
That about right. The character that Jet plays would be in his 70's.

To confuse things, there's another version of Investiture of the Gods that is also scheduled for release in 2016, a Chinese animated feature under a different title, Master Jiang and the Six Kingdoms........

That is a very popular novel.

There have been a few TV series/movies adapted from that novel, which is also known as Fengshen Yanyi, Fengshen Bang, The Canonisation of the Gods, The Apotheosis of Heroes and The Investiture of the Gods.

One TV series last year - here is the trailer

oYtzOcbINMM

And one this year (part 2) - here is the OST.

hZx4yVsnqss#t=65

A 2001 TV series with Chin Kar-lok & Yuen Wah - Gods Of Honour:

aIwAhVnxSaU

A 2007 TV Series - The legend and the Hero:

SOFWtSGKW64

And a follow-up:

0yRglVIlXjA

There is also the Nezha/NaCha TV series & movies...........as well as a few other characters from the novel..

A good read would be "Creation Of The Gods" which comes in 4 volumes. It si written in both Chinese & English

Interesting. I hope both the live action and animated films turn out well. I really liked Master Jiang and the Six Kingdoms animated trailer. Dare I say Miyazaki-esk. :bigsmile:

Thephantasm

Finally a Jet Li martial arts film.

Its easy to lose speed with technique and to lose technique with speed, but Li has balance.

The legend continues.

whitesnake

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment releases the Blu-ray and DVD for League of Gods on August 1, 2017.  Just when I was thinking I'd have to order it from Asia.  

Unfortunately, this movie ends with a cliffhanger, was intended to have a sequel, which has not been made.

Edited by whitesnake
  • Like 1

On 5/30/2017 at 0:25 PM, whitesnake said:

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment releases the Blu-ray and DVD for League of Gods on August 1, 2017.  Just when I was thinking I'd have to order it from Asia.

Wonder if this will be uncut? Don't let the Weinsteins come near it. 

• Like 2

What an odd movie. It felt like you had a dozen hours of cut scenes from some MMORPG sent in mystical Asia-land, and then edited maybe the middle third into a 100-minute movie. The movie never slows down, but also throws so many mythological elements and characters that most viewers who know nothing of the source material will get in the first fifteen minutes. The action, helmed by Dion Lam (leading a team that includes Ma Yuk-Sing), is largely CGI-fu, flying, and magic attacks. There is one (sorta) grounded fight between Jacky Heung (who reminds me of a younger Carter Wong) and a bunch of palace guards early on that's pretty good. Jet Li does nothing MA related throughout the film. The finale has the good guys fighting Louis Koo, who transforms into a giant CGI orc-Hulk. Uh...okay.

Fan Bing-Bing relishes her role as the seductive Daji, although transforming her tails into tentacle-esque lamprey monsters is a bit too EXTREEEEME for me. Still, she could seduce me any time, granted that she sign a regular contract before doing so. Angelababy is just kinda there; I don't think she's as perfect-looking as some people think.

Strangely enough, the Netflix version has the Portuguese and English dubs, but not the Chinese language track. The English dub is awful; nobody even tried to explain to the actors how to pronounce Mandarin names and place names.

• Like 2