Monk Comes Down the Mountain (2015)

DiP

An upcoming 3D period martial arts movie helmed by Chen Kaige (The Promise) and starring Aaron Kwok, Wang Baoqiang (Iceman), Fan Wei, Wang Xueqi (Bodyguards & Assassins), Li Xuejian, Chiling Lin, Vanness Wu (Star Runner), Jaycee Chan, Lam Suet, and Danny Chan (Shaolin Soccer). Action choreography will be handled by Ku Huen-Chiu.

http://www.jaynestars.com/movies/aaron-kwok-joins-chen-kaiges-upcoming-film-the-monk/

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
whitesnake

Second teaser for The Monk Comes Down the Mountain (courtesy of Film Combat Syndicate)

FFabBjqxkHY

Drunken Monk

Is this actually a martial arts film? The trailers suggest it's a comedy drama.

whitesnake

Advance publicity at

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/115931-columbia-pictures-boards-chinese-martial-arts-feature-the-monk

made it sound like this was a martial arts action feature. Quotes from the article are below.

"It is based on the best-selling novel “Dao Shi Xia Shan” (A Monk Comes Down the Mountain”) by Xu Haofeng, a renowned martial arts writer, screenwriter and director whose credits include screenwriter for Wong Kar-Wai's recent film, The Grandmaster."

"In the film, when a young monk is forced to leave his impoverished monastery, he relies on his extraordinary martial arts skills to survive in the outside world. In search of a mentor, he crosses paths with a Kung Fu master who is in possession of the Book of Secrets, which reveals the lost art of the deadly Ape Strike Kung Fu technique. The rare book is coveted by a sinister father and son who will go to any extremes to obtain it. The monk finds himself immersed in a deadly battle to protect both the book and his master."

Since it is a Chen Kaige movie, it will probably be picked up for American distribution, and get some serious film reviews. I found a sum-up of Chen Kaige's movie, The Promise (aka Wuji) by a reviewer on Amazon - "Chen Kaige's Martial Arts Fantasy Tale: Beautiful, But Uneven and Often Looks Silly". Maybe The Monk will be the same. Chen Kaige's other martial arts movie, Sacrifice (aka Orphan of Zhao), a sad revenge tale, did not have much martial arts. At least The Monk doesn't look like a tragedy.

Some character posters are displayed at http://filmcombatsyndicate.blogspot.com/2015/05/monk-comes-down-mountainand-brings-new.html

It looks terrible. Another noisy, nonsensical comedy crapfest with a martial arts theme but without any real fights.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Rzf3C6BgsiA

Monk-Comes-Down-the-Mountain-2015-2.jpg

Monk-Comes-Down-the-Mountain-2015-1.jpg

Director: Chen Kaige

Cast:

Wang Baoqiang

Aaron Kwok

Chang Chen

Lin Chi-Ling

Fan Wei

Yuen Wah

Vanness Wu

Li Xuejian

Wang Xueqi

Jaycee Chan

Lam Suet

Danny Chan

Wang Zhifei

Yan Bingyan

Hou Tongjiang

Chen Ran

  

Also Known As:

Dao Shi Xia Shan

Language: Mandarin

Release Date: 3 July 2015

Genre: Drama, Action, Adventure

GD Y-Y

Looks like the director used Bodyguard & Assassins, Shaolin and The Monkey King as references to make this. Genre-meshing is fascinating but it's got to be handled with precision. Watching the trailer, I'm not sure how well this will resolute.

the fact that Ape Strike Kung Fu technique. is being used in this movie I still have to watch this :wink:

Damn, was really looking forward to this, but it sounds awful and annoying. So many new films are disappointing these days, the last i enjoyed was Kung Fu Jungle but the HK / Chinese action film industry seems at an all time low.

Lets hope Sammo can lift us with The Bodyguard.

Damn. I was unaware that this was even playing locally. From the sound of it it mightn't matter too much anyway.

One Armed Boxer
Damn, was really looking forward to this, but it sounds awful and annoying. So many new films are disappointing these days, the last i enjoyed was Kung Fu Jungle but the HK / Chinese action film industry seems at an all time low.

Lets hope Sammo can lift us with The Bodyguard.

Yeah I'm still pinning my hopes on both 'SPL 2' and 'The Bodyguard', as for this one though, I'd steer well clear.

Damn. I was unaware that this was even playing locally. From the sound of it it mightn't matter too much anyway.

Hey Asmo, it's playing on Event Cinemas. Looks like it's still showing as well, so you still have time to check it out if you're curious.

Hey Asmo, it's playing on Event Cinemas. Looks like it's still showing as well, so you still have time to check it out if you're curious.

OAB, thanks. Yeah I found that out after reading the post. I might check it out if it's still playing at all next week.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Monk Comes Down the Mountain

Watched this last night. 

Fantastic indeed.

Yuen Wah still has got it.

I highly recommend this. It has some of the best displays of Chinese internal kung fu fantasy I ever saw.

***** Stars.

GD Y-Y 

Archived