The Best 'Storm' of 2013 - 'The White Storm' or 'Firestorm'?

One Armed Boxer

What was the best movie?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What was the best movie?

• The White Storm
    • Firestorm

One Armed Boxer

2013 brought us 2 big budget HK action blockbusters in the form of Benny Chan's 'The White Storm' and Alan Yuen's 'Firestorm'. Interestingly it seems they've also managed to be 2 movies which have split people down the middle. For those on here who have seen them, it's a case of liking one and hating the other, with so far nobody coming forward who claims to have enjoyed both!

So, a simple poll for some fun - Which was your favorite out of the 2, 'The White Storm' or 'Firestorm'?

For me, I have to go with 'Firestorm'. I watched both movies within a month of each other, and in my opinion there's no contest. Both movies have the standard staple of every HK cop drama - a pregnant girlfriend, the unwavering cop, the ruthless bad guy, the transsexual bride. Well, ok, maybe not that last one. However for me 'Firestorm' just did it so much better, it had a story which made sense, cliched but relatable characters, and an unashamedly enthusiastic approach to causing as much onscreen mayhem as possible. On top of this you have Andy Lau anchoring the whole thing, who from the word go is pretty much thrown around like a rag doll via explosions, leaps off buildngs, bullets, and car crashes, but doesn't let such trivial details get in the way of him chasing the bad guys.

'Firestorm' is big and somewhat stupid, but there's a self awareness about how OTT all of the mayhem is, which allows it to be enjoyed for what it is, and for me that made it a winner.

'The White Storm' on the other hand has 3 of Hong Kong's current top actors breaking into song to solve arguments, delivering some of the most unconvincing action performances of the decade (Lau Ching Wan, I'm looking at you), has a character surviving the most ridiculously incomprehensible situation ever (Nick Cheung, I'm looking at you), & others willfully acting out some of the dumbest script moments in HK cinema history, & God only knows there must be a lot of those to choose from (Louis Koo, I'm looking at you).

Throw in poorly conceived action sequences which show why Nicky Li will never be a Chin Kar Lok, with a bloated run time of over 2 hours, and 'The White Storm' not only takes itself too seriously, but also wears out its welcome long before the credits roll.

'The White Storm' forum discussion - http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19788

'Firestorm' forum discussion - http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20844

JpGIjT2GbG0

yh435DofwEk

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

naw, haha! actually I really liked both, both overall I gotta go with The White Storm. both are must-haves, but The White Storm just was more satisfying . I'd say The White Storm=5/5 (nostalgia goes a long way, and it was dope) and Firestorm=4/5 (it was also dope, reminded me a bit of Hard Boiled)!

Saw both films twice and in direct comparism I think THE WHITE STORM, though flawed in parts as it is (and most other Benny Chan films are), clearly comes out on top!

After a fairly promising opening FIRESTORM descended into nothing but hollow spectacle. The potentially interesting story the film tries to tell appears to be clipped down to a bare minimum in order to squeeze in as much outlandish action as possible, and from what I remember hearing in HK this also led to some bitter blood between Andy Lau and Lam Ka Tung, whose part seems to have been severely curtailed (and he was by far the most interesting character here!). Also I asked myself why psychologically build up a cocksure (and well playing) Hu Jun as the ultimate criminal mastermind first and then replace him with the next über-villain (a bearded Ray Lui) who wasn’t given any backstory that would even remotely make his berserk rage plausible. From a dramatic standpoint it all made no fucking sense!

But more than anything the decision to go for idiotically insane comic book action in the final reel disconnected me and many others from the proceedings. I mean, the film is played straight, its not designed to be an action comedy. I saw FIRESTORM twice in 2 D and 3 D respectively in different cinemas and noted that the final CG bombardement didn’t seem to impress anyone, it rather generated a lotta headshaking and guffaws of laughter all around me.

Firestorm hands down. White storm was a lackluster and a disappointment. Way too slow for an action film and not strong enough to be a serious drama.Good performance by Nick Cheung though. Firestorm was more entertaining and more solid

One Armed Boxer
The potentially interesting story the film tries to tell appears to be clipped down to a bare minimum in order to squeeze in as much outlandish action as possible, and from what I remember hearing in HK this also led to some bitter blood between Andy Lau and Lam Ka Tung, whose part seems to have been severely curtailed (and he was by far the most interesting character here!).

So Gordon Lam's part was allegedly cut down? That's interesting, as I actually thought Lau's character was the far more interesting of the two, especially considering the actions he takes after the events which unfold mid-film concering Ha Jun. It made his character much more than just the standard HK cop he'd been playing up until that point (all be it a seemingly indestructible one!). Gordon Lam's character was very one-note for me, he's the criminal who still cares for his girl, and this doesn't change throughout the movie.

Also I asked myself why psychologically build up a cocksure (and well playing) Hu Jun as the ultimate criminal mastermind first and then replace him with the next über-villain (a bearded Ray Lui) who wasn’t given any backstory that would even remotely make his berserk rage plausible.

Yeah, this came out of the blue! The Ha Jun story arc also seems to be left hanging, along with exactly how much involvement he has in the whole operation. But I didn't mind this, it's fairly standard for HK cinema. I remember when I first watched 'Paper Marriage', the gweilo with the stolen briefcase literally come in around 30 minutes before the end, just so there can be an action finale. The sudden switch to Ray Lui as the main bad guy gave me a similar reaction - one of head scratching - I guess you either go with it or turn it off.

But more than anything the decision to go for idiotically insane comic book action in the final reel disconnected me and many others from the proceedings. I mean, the film is played straight, its not designed to be an action comedy. I saw FIRESTORM twice in 2 D and 3 D respectively in different cinemas and noted that the final CG bombardement didn’t seem to impress anyone, it rather generated a lotta headshaking and guffaws of laughter all around me.

It can definitely be argued that the finale goes a little too far in terms of the level of carnage that takes place, and how well the CGI incorporates into it. However somehow it fit in with the feel of the movie, and while yes I can understand it generating some shaking of the head, the fact is that when compared to the amount of times I shook my head during 'The White Storm' (I lost count), it was pretty forgivable.

Firestorm was awful, I thought; still not seen White Storm but my hopes ain't high after the general drubbing it's had on here!

The first hour of 'white storm' is really good and then it gets really silly.

'Firestorm' was brewing up to be a solid thriller until the last 25 mins when it turns into Godzilla.

Archived