Did Bruce Lee pay for his instuctions from Ip Man?

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

I read that Bruce was taught separately or privately by Ip Man because of other student who were jealous of Bruce.

Did Ip Man charge Bruce or did he give him his lessons for free?

GD Y-Y

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what i`ve read, Ip Man didn`t teach him much at all.

I think Bruce was just another student.

Wong Sheung Leung said Bruce was just a little more diligent than most.

I remember a Bruce Lee interview somewhere where he said the kids were also all pretty disrespectful. Starting off usually by asking " So what are we going to learn today old man?"

RogueWarrior

Other students were getting on Bruce for not being 100% Chinese. So Ip Man taught him privately for about 5 years. Ip Man didnt care about Bruce's race.

Chinatown Kid

I know later on after Bruce got famous he wanted to film Ip doing techniques on the wooden dummy but Ip refused and it supposedly caused friction between the two? You guys more knowledgeable on Lee's history please correct me if I'm wrong.

RogueWarrior

There is a decent 8mm film what was shot of Ip Man a couple days before he died. I dont think that was Bruce's footage tho. Clips are out there.

AHA, found it...

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG
0YnEm1zaUyE

Nice Yojimbo.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Seems there are divergent views on how Ip Man taught Bruce.

So when Bruce came to America was his knowledge of Wing Chung at a high level?

Did Bruce practice any other styles before he created Jeet Kune Do?

Thanks,

GD Y-Y

Nice Yojimbo.

Thanks,

GD Y-Y

No, credit goes to RogueWarrior.

I'd seen this footage before when I was searching for Wing Chun forms on youtube. But I though some people would like it just embedded on the thread.

Bruce Lee studies pretty much anything he though he could use. He traded training with other martial artists. I don't ever remember Wing Chun ever using nunchucks which Bruce Lee is so famous for. Also had made them extremely popular in the US after his movies came out.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

I'd seen this footage before when I was searching for Wing Chun forms on youtube. But I though some people would like it just embedded on the thread.

Bruce Lee studies pretty much anything he though he could use. He traded training with other martial artists. I don't ever remember Wing Chun ever using nunchucks which Bruce Lee is so famous for. Also had made them extremely popular in the US after his movies came out.

Kudos to RougeWarrior.

Thanks for the info yojimbo.

GD Y-Y

Other students were getting on Bruce for not being 100% Chinese. So Ip Man taught him privately for about 5 years. Ip Man didnt care about Bruce's race.

According to Wikipedia, the other students found out 1yr into the training that he wasn't 100% Chinese and started to give him problems then.

Nice Yojimbo.

Thanks,

GD Y-Y

It is hard to say how much knowledge of Wing Chun Bruce Lee had. Ip Man's son's studied with their father a lot longer than Bruce so they probably learned a lot more of the forms and such. However, that is no guarantee of having learned to use even a fraction of what they learned effectively.

However, wing chun probably left a big influence on him about effectiveness. One of the Tao of Jeet Kun Do's drawing is showing the Wing Chun center line and what you could do in terms of movement.

Also, taken from Wikipedia.

"It was at the 1964 championships where Lee first met Taekwondo master Jhoon Goo Rhee. The two developed a friendship – a relationship from which they benefited as martial artists. Rhee taught Lee the side kick in detail, and Lee taught Rhee the "non-telegraphic" punch".

Having students that knew other styles like Daniel Insanto (Arnis). I doubt Bruce Lee didn't ask to see and learn a few things.

Also he had drawing of judo and wrestling moves that was published as a part of The Tao of Jeet Kun Do. You can see some of them on google image search.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bruce+lee+drawings+tao+of+jeet+kune+do&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=bGIjU9uEDsP10gGvqoD4CA&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=882&bih=635

BL was a sponge. :bigsmile: I forgot the name of the Sifu that traded Bruce kung fu lessons for cha cha lessons. He said that Bruce learnt from him so quickly that he never got a chance to learn the cha cha moves.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
I know later on after Bruce got famous he wanted to film Ip doing techniques on the wooden dummy but Ip refused and it supposedly caused friction between the two? You guys more knowledgeable on Lee's history please correct me if I'm wrong.

There is a decent 8mm film what was shot of Ip Man a couple days before he died. I dont think that was Bruce's footage tho. Clips are out there.

Chinatown Kid I think you're right about that. For the longest time Ip Man did not want his techniques filmed. But then when he realized he was about to die, and that a lot of what he knew would die with him, he allowed his son to film him. He was so frail when that footage was shot. I get the chills whenever I watch it, knowing what he was doing and why. It's actually pretty epic IMO.

I would think so. In the '60s footage that I've seen of him doing Wing Chun sticky hands Bruce's speed and technique looks astonishing.

He would learn and study every method he came into contact with. JKD included lots of techniques from many different styles... karate, western boxing, fencing, judo... the list goes on.

No, nunchaku is not from Wing Chun, which primarily uses butterfly knives and the staff. It was Dan Inosanta that introduced Bruce to the nunchaku and Eskrima (arnis, fighting sticks) which were a part of his Fillipino arts.

No, nunchaku is not from Wing Chun, which primarily uses butterfly knives and the staff. It was Dan Inosanta that introduced Bruce to the nunchaku and Eskrima (arnis, fighting sticks) which were a part of his Fillipino arts.

That was a tongue in cheek comment. Should have put a :tongue: or something. I know enough to know which system uses which weapons. :nerd:

Bruce got MOST of his Wing Chun training from Wong Sheun Leung and William 'Hawkins' Cheung ...they were Yip Man's senior students. Remember in those days the Sifu would sit and watch while his seniors taught only getting up for the odd correction.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
That was a tongue in cheek comment. Should have put a :tongue: or something. I know enough to know which system uses which weapons. :nerd:

Oh, okay. :wink: I have been enjoying your posts ever since you joined, and you do seem knowledgeable. But you never know what some people will know about, and not know about. Just today a good friend and Asian cinema fanatic asked me what a meteor hammer is. :smile: No judgement... I'll school him. I've got one right here... :bigsmile:

Bruce got MOST of his Wing Chun training from Wong Sheun Leung and William 'Hawkins' Cheung ...they were Yip Man's senior students. Remember in those days the Sifu would sit and watch while his seniors taught only getting up for the odd correction.

Thanks for that info Shukocarl. :nerd:

William Cheung Cheuk-Hing and Hawkins Cheung Hok-Kin are two different people.

There are varying stories about Yip Man and his students. Some people say he taught them a lot, and some people claim he only taught others the final forms, leaving most the of the foundation training to his senior students.

NoKUNGFUforYU

There was a rumor that Lee did not learn Bil Jee. I am not a Wing Chun expert, but I thought he was doing Bil Jee (the third form) in Way of the Dragon. I have also heard that he only taught his students the first 2 sets, as at one time it was considered too deadly. I have a hard time believing it would be that "deadly" though poking at peoples throat and eyes would seem to be pretty aggressive, so who knows.

Archived