Dragon Blade (2014)

Keung

http://www.impactonline.co/news/1748-here-be-dragons-and-chan-and-gibson

Going global... the newly announced 'Dragon Blade' will see 'Mad Max' meet the 'Drunken Master' in a Roman-martial arts adventure set in China...

While we were expecting Jackie Chan’s next film to be Skip Trace, an action comedy set to star Chan alongside the lovely Fan Bing-bing (soon to be seen in X-Men: Days of Future Past) and Sean William Scott from American Pie and the superb Stark Ravin'. The film was announced last year and it seemed that pre-production had already begun, but Chan’s latest project is set to see him co-starring alongside no lesser name than Mel Gibson!

While we'd love to see Jackie's Police Story character Kevin Chan/Ka-Kui teaming up with Gibson's Lethal Weapon character Martin Riggs to battle the bad guys in modern day Hong Kong, the actual premise for the film is something we weren't expecting. The film Dragon Blade will be directed by Daniel Lee (What Price Survival?) is a period piece, that sees a Roman Legion lead by Mel Gibson’s character getting caught up in an adventure in China where they cross paths with a Chinese hero played by Jackie Chan. They are forced to join forces to battle an even greater foe that threatens the whole world.

Gibson has had a few rough years and to quote Kevin Smith, ‘what happened to Mel Gibson?' We liked the mad Mel from Mad Max and Lethal Weapon, but what went wrong?’ But his recent turn in Machete Kills saw the twinkle in his eyes restored and the images we’ve seen of him from The Expendables 3, see him looking ripped and fit to fight. Here’s hoping that the wilderness years and moments of extreme political incorrectness - to say the least - are behind him!

Jackie Chan has also had a few years where his previously squeaky clean image got a little tarnished, but has continued to deliver time and time again. We do like the idea of Chan and Gibson back to back battling the bad guys in a good old fashioned action adventure.

The shooting on Dragon Blade begins at the end of March and the film is scheduled for release in 2015.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Drunken Monk

Well, I didn't see this coming. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that, while it seems to be a "battle" film, it'll have some traditional Jackie Chan fight scenes.

Looks like Skip Trace might have been put on hold, and filming for a period movie called DRAGON BLADE (which has Jackie teaming up with Mel Gibson) begins at the end of March. The film will be directed by Daniel Lee (Jet Li’s Black Mask).

Impact online broke the news: http://www.cityonfire.com/jackie-chan-and-mel-gibson-team-up-for-dragon-blade/

My only gripe (and it's a big one) that it's a period piece. Would have loved to see them team up in a modern day action flick.

Nothing made me feel older than realizing it's been nearly 16 years since I saw Mel Gibson and Jet Li go at it in Lethal Weapon 4. Better late than never that he's now teaming up with Jackie :tongue:

Wheat Thin Man
Nothing made me feel older than realizing it's been nearly 16 years since I saw Mel Gibson and Jet Li go at it in Lethal Weapon 4. Better late than never that he's now teaming up with Jackie :tongue:

It crazy to think how long it's been, I was just a kid then and that was first time seeing Jet Li in a movie.

Drunken Monk
My only gripe (and it's a big one) that it's a period piece. Would have loved to see them team up in a modern day action flick.

I'll happily accept a period piece as long as it has Jackie's trademark choreography. I hope it won't just be a "sword and armour" battle film and will feature more intimate fight scenes.

Chinatown Kid

These action legends are getting pretty old, there gonna have to start writing plots that take place around rest homes to make them more believable.....

These action legends are getting pretty old, there gonna have to start writing plots that take place around rest homes to make them more believable.....

You obviously haven't seen Get The Gringo.

I think Mel still has it.

Jackie still has it... but his fight scenes are sorta wack these days. I think that's more of his choreography, not what's he's capable of. But what do i know?

It crazy to think how long it's been, I was just a kid then and that was first time seeing Jet Li in a movie.

I'm still trying to think which I caught first, LW4 or Fist of Legend :tongue:

Mel definitely still has it, and I look forward to seeing what he pulls off as the villain in Expendables 3. But Jackie... eh... it's sad that the last newer film he was in I enjoyed was the Karate Kid remake. WTF?

One Armed Boxer

Good to see they're going for a crappy title straight off the bat, as opposed to waiting for the Weinstein's to re-title it at a later date.

Why am I expecting incredible disappointment from this movie?? Save yourselves the agony. Heres my advice

gU2Tw_zpse43eb02a.gif

What is there to "forgive" Gibson for? He has a personal life and it's none of my business. He also has freedom of speech, last time I checked. Nobody seems to boycott Spike Lee when he rants about whitey.

Cold Bishop

While I agree the complete ostracization of Mel Gibson speaks to the worst impulses of our society - this notion that nobody can change, let alone overcome ignorance, so the best thing to do is just punish them or hide them from view - but no one is infringing on his free speech. He has the right to say the terrible things he did as much as people have the freedom to speak with their wallets and not put money in his pocket.

With that said, I'd rather see him get the chance to rebuild his career than pretend some terrible views (which he inherited from a certifiably monstrous father) suddenly nullifies his talent.

Spike Lee isn't a racist, just an occasional dick. He's also occasionally a great filmmaker... But you're crazy if you think his career hasn't suffered from his outspokeneness.

What is there to "forgive" Gibson for? He has a personal life and it's none of my business. He also has freedom of speech, last time I checked.Nobody seems to boycott Spike Lee when he rants about whitey.

I see you are using an Avatar of Norwegian racist neo-nazi white supremecist delusional egomaniacal psychopath and convicted murderer Varg Vikernes (Who also makes laughably bad music).

That adds a certain ugly dimention to your comment "Nobody seems to boycott Spike Lee when he rants about whitey."

Im tired of reading these stories. I wish our kungfu heros would give the west a big "fuck you." I know, $$$ bla bla bla....

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/jackie-chans-dragon-blade-cuts-deal-with-new-fund-1201158120/

Budget record busting epic targets 2015 release

BEIJING — Hong Kong’s Daniel Lee will direct Jackie Chan in “Dragon Blade,” a period action epic that will be released next Chinese New Year.

The film’s budget is claimed to be a record for a Chinese-financed movie.

The film is backed by Sparkle Roll Cultural Media, Huayi Brothers Media Corporation, Shanghai Film Group and new film investment group Beijing Cultural Assets Chinese Film & Television Fund.

Chan will play the commander of the Protection Squad of the Western Regions during the Han Dynasty. The film shoots in Dunhuang and the Gobi Desert, which form the dramatic natural backdrop.

“Dragon Blade” will be released in 3D IMAX in China, and in international markets, on Feb. 19, 2015, the first day of next year’s Chinese New Year holiday period.

The fund is founded by some of the biggest players in the Chinese entertainment sector, including China Film Foundation, Cultural Assets Supervision and Administration Office of the People’s Government of Beijing Municipality, CITIC Asset Management Corporation, Sparkle Roll Group, and Beijing All Media and Culture Group.

I see you are using an Avatar of Norwegian racist neo-nazi white supremecist delusional egomaniacal psychopath and convicted murderer Varg Vikernes (Who also makes laughably bad music).

That adds a certain ugly dimention to your comment "Nobody seems to boycott Spike Lee when he rants about whitey."

lol, 1st gut feeling about the avatar, a looney. Glad my intuition is on :xd:

OpiumKungFuCracker

Man, it's a good thing you pointed this out, I thought the avatar was just some good wholesome white guy. I was looking forward to going to Norway, do they have a big neo nazi following? Nazi scares me.

lol, 1st gut feeling about the avatar, a looney. Glad my intuition is on :xd:

..or its a picture of the Burger King :wink:

One Armed Boxer

Mike Leeder recently posted the following news over at impactonline -

Jackie Chan’s current project Dragon Blade seemed to come out of nowhere. Directed by Daniel Lee, the film went into production earlier this year with Mel Gibson set to play opposite Chan in this tale of Roman soldiers and Chinese soldiers teaming up to fight a greater foe.

Now it would appear that Gibson is no longer attached to the project in any way and that two other stars have joined the film to play opposite Chan. The Pianist’s Adrien Brody and Martin Blank himself Grosse Point Blank's John Cusack (and, for our money, one of the most reliable actors around) are joining the film with one playing the heroic Roman who joins Chan in battle and the other the villainous Roman who stands against them.

One might not immediately think of Brody in an action role, but he did come across well in Predators which saw him thrown into the world of tentpole action in a significant way. Meanwhile Cusack and Chan have a mutual friend in Benny the Jet Urquidez, Chan faced off against him in two of his most memorable fights in Wheels on Meals and Dragons Forever, while Cusack is a longtime student of and business partner of Urquidez, battling him in Grosse Point Blank. Urquidez has already been seen on set, so we might finally get to see a third film face-off between Chan & Urquidez.

As previously reported here, Chan will begin Skiptrace shortly after completing Dragon Blade, with Renny Harlin now at the helm and Sean Willam Scott and Fan Bing-bing as his co-leads.

Source - http://www.impactonline.co/news/1859-cusack-and-brody-join-chans-dragon-blade

Adrien Brody? Way to go! I have no idea how this thing will turn out, but mention Brody, and you have my attention.

Archived