The White Haired Witch of Lunar Kingdom (2014)

One Armed Boxer

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

NO WAY this is from HKMDB.

Sorry for the confusion.....will make sure I post the link next time.

Thanks for the advice.

I have not seen the movie.

GD Y-Y

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

http://www.hkmdb.com/

Hong Kong Cinema Daily News

by Dennis Lee

Latest Film Reviews

3D Sex and Zen: Extreme Ecstasy (2011)

reviewed by: STSH

Too Many Ways To Be No. 1 (1997)

reviewed by: Masterofoneinchpunch

Z Storm (2014)

The White-Haired Witch of Lunar Kingdom (2014)

Reviews of Recent Releases

The White-Haired Witch of Lunar Kingdom (2014)

reviewed by: STSH (7/10)

Z Storm (2014)

reviewed by: STSH (8/10)

Iceman 3D (2013)

reviewed by: MrBooth (5/10)

That Demon Within (2014)

reviewed by: STSH (6/10)

The Monkey King (2014)

reviewed by: STSH (10/10)

From Vegas to Macau (2014)

reviewed by: STSH (7/10)

The Monkey King (2014)

reviewed by: Beat TG (8/10)

From Vegas to Macau (2014)

reviewed by: j.crawford (8/10)

Special ID (2013)

reviewed by: STSH (8/10)

Out of Inferno (2013)

reviewed by: STSH (5/10)

Young Detective Dee: Rise of the Sea Dragon (2013)

reviewed by: STSH (10/10)

Badges of Fury (2013)

reviewed by: ewaffle (5/10)

Badges of Fury (2013)

Drug War (2013)

reviewed by: MrBooth (7/10)

Drug War (2013)

GD Y-Y

The Bride With White Hair has ruined me to seeing any other version of this tale. Perhaps I will give it a chance for rental but I would love more than anything to see a blu ray release of BWWH. That film ranks in my top 10 of HK cinema of the 90`s! However, just from the trailer, WHWOLK, looks like the same generic film that I could see coming out of HK these days. It sucks when your role model is Hollywood. :bigsmile:

WHWOLK, looks like the same generic film that I could see coming out of HK these days. It sucks when your role model is Hollywood. :bigsmile:

Perhaps, but it sucks even more when you're far behind your role model and can't stop producing the same tiresome historic epics again and again.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

I saw this last night 1-16-15.

I must say I was thrilled.

This movie IS the closest modern kung fu movie to old school that I have seen in recent years.

I was very satisfied with the outing.

I highly recommend this to all on this forum.

Superbly filmed and the and acted.

The action was well done, IMO.

I have The Monkey King and Rise of Legend.

This surpasses both of them in 'ALL' ways.

00274833.jpg

GD Y-Y

^^ you said you "have" the monkey king and rise of legend"? Is rise of legend out on DVD..

Now onto this movie.. I have always been really torn on this movie debating if I should pick it up. I think you might have made the decision for me.

Secret Executioner
^^ you said you "have" the monkey king and rise of legend"? Is rise of legend out on DVD..

Saw a release for ROL on yesasia.com (HK IIRC).

This movie IS the closest modern kung fu movie to old school that I have seen in recent years.
I liked it, but it moved too slowly for my taste. Personally I far prefer Reign of Assassins as far as recent kung fu films.

IMO it's best to not compare this film with TBWWH. The latter was much more like a fever dream (see also Green Snake), whereas this movie was a straight-forward wuxia.

I think it's one of the worst wuxia outings of the last years. The way the story is told and the characters are drawn can only be described as generic and uninspired. Instead of the deeply emotional, personal and tragic story TBWWH created from the novel this new movie tells the tale of patriotic heroes, evil traitors and the rewards for being a good guy. Combine that with bland visuals that don't flatter the very artificial (not to say cheap looking) sets, mediocre effects, solid wire-fu action and routine acting and you get a barely passable but fairly underwhelming period movie which has none of the magic one usually expects from good wuxia. Watch REIGN OF ASSASSINS, both DETECTIVE DEEs, FLYING SWORDS FROM DRAGON GATE or BROTHERHOOD OF BLADES instead.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG
I think it's one of the worst wuxia outings of the last years. The way the story is told and the characters are drawn can only be described as generic and uninspired. Instead of the deeply emotional, personal and tragic story TBWWH created from the novel this new movie tells the tale of patriotic heroes, evil traitors and the rewards for being a good guy. Combine that with bland visuals that don't flatter the very artificial (not to say cheap looking) sets, mediocre effects, solid wire-fu action and routine acting and you get a barely passable but fairly underwhelming period movie which has none of the magic one usually expects from good wuxia. Watch REIGN OF ASSASSINS, both DETECTIVE DEEs, FLYING SWORDS FROM DRAGON GATE or BROTHERHOOD OF BLADES instead.

I don't know Kami but we must wear different glasses because I thoroughly enjoyed this.

Beauty or no beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

And different strokes for different folks.

No worry's.

GD Y-Y

I don't know Kami but we must wear different glasses because I thoroughly enjoyed this.

There's nothing wrong with that! I sometimes also enjoy bad movies. :xd:

Archived