The White Haired Witch of Lunar Kingdom (2014)

One Armed Boxer

One Armed Boxer

The gorgeous Fan Bingbing is set to star in this new wuxia movie, directed by Jacob Cheung and based on the classic martial arts novel by Liang Yushen. Co-starring Vincent Zhao & Nicholas Tse, most interesting of all is that Tsui Hark is on-board as 'artistic director', so it should be interesting visually.

Personally I love wuxia movies, and the last good one to come out in my opinion was 'Reign of Assassins', so I'll be looking forward to this. Check out the trailer below, and before commenting, please remember that it is a wuxia tale, complaining about people flying is the equivalent of complaining about magic being used in a Harry Potter movie.:tongue:

KVE93fhBG4k

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG
The gorgeous Fan Bingbing is set to star in this new wuxia movie, directed by Jacob Cheung and based on the classic martial arts novel by Liang Yushen. Co-starring Vincent Zhao & Nicholas Tse, most interesting of all is that Tsui Hark is on-board as 'artistic director', so it should be interesting visually.

Personally I love wuxia movies, and the last good one to come out in my opinion was 'Reign of Assassins', so I'll be looking forward to this. Check out the trailer below, and before commenting, please remember that it is a wuxia tale, complaining about people flying is the equivalent of complaining about magic being used in a Harry Potter movie.:tongue:

KVE93fhBG4k

I am with you OAB I too favor 'wuxia' over all and am slightly more fond of Taiwanese VS/ Hong Kong movies in the day.

GD Y-Y

Secret Executioner

Not sure what the story is about, but based on the trailer, I can say that this film has very nice visuals and that I'd be into seeing that one.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Looks exciting and promising.

For those that are perhaps newer to the scene, this story has been made into films before. Most famously as THE BRIDE WITH WHITE HAIR and it's sequel. If you are a wuxia pan fan and haven't seen it, I highly recommend you watch it straight away. It's an excellent film with swordplay, romance, adventure, a gorgeous visual style and plenty of OTT elements to keep your jaw on the floor from start to finish. :nerd:

Secret Executioner
Looks exciting and promising.

For those that are perhaps newer to the scene, this story has been made into films before. Most famously as THE BRIDE WITH WHITE HAIR and it's sequel. If you are a wuxia pan fan and haven't seen it, I highly recommend you watch it straight away. It's an excellent film with swordplay, romance, adventure, a gorgeous visual style and plenty of OTT elements to keep your jaw on the floor from start to finish. :nerd:

Thanks for the tip, KFB.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Thanks for the tip, KFB.

Yeah man! :bigsmile:

Back in the day this film was frequently on people's top 10 Hong Kong movies lists. BRIDE WITH WHITE HAIR (1993, Hong Kong, aka. Jiang-Hu: Between Love and Glory) stars Brigitte Linn Ching-Hsia, a woman of extraordinary beauty (with a mysterious edge) and impressive acting ability, one-of-a-kind pop singer and phenomenal actor Leslie Cheung Kwok-Wing (who sadly is no longer with us), and is directed by Ronny Yu Yan-Tai. He's the man who made Brandon Lee's only Hong Kong film LEGACY OF RAGE (1986), Jet Li's FEARLESS (2005), and... yes... BRIDE OF CHUCKY (1998). But for me BRIDE is his crowning achievement. Can a witch that was raised by wolves and has a serious anger management problem fall in love? Watch and see. :nerd:

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG
yeah man! :bigsmile:

Back in the day this film was frequently on people's top 10 hong kong movies lists. bride with white hair (1993, hong kong, aka. Jiang-hu: Between love and glory) stars brigitte linn ching-hsia, a woman of extraordinary beauty (with a mysterious edge) and impressive acting ability, one-of-a-kind pop singer and phenomenal actor leslie cheung kwok-wing (who sadly is no longer with us), and is directed by ronny yu yan-tai. He's the man who made brandon lee's only hong kong film legacy of rage (1986), jet li's fearless (2005), and... Yes... bride of chucky (1998). But for me bride is his crowning achievement. Can a witch that was raised by wolves and has a serious anger management problem fall in love? Watch and see. :nerd:

TRUE KFB.

Gd y-y

But for me BRIDE is his crowning achievement. :

Which one, Chucky's or the one with the white hair?:wink:

BTW, for me BRIDE WITH WHITE HAIR one of the all time favorites, an emotional and sensual trip with a wonderfully kitschy synthie score, a great theme song and some of the most beautiful visuals ever filmed by Peter Pau. Francis Ng and the Elaine Lui as evil siamese twins are cool as well. A must see for anyone interested in wuxia movies. I really doubt the new movie plays in the same league but I am willing to be proven wrong.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

The Bride With White Hair 1993.

Very Similar to the new movie.

Bai-fa-mo-nu-zhuan-II_7ebc5179.jpg

Scary!

THE-BRIDE-WITH-WHITE-HAIR-a.jpg

1brigittelinbridewhitehai.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSD7vwai8Yrrf8LGDdwbeYMJ4VBkONQj5yoCPTdafzYHXBVFvR_ZA

photo-3366.jpg

The Bride with White Hair (TV series)

The_Bride_with_White_Hair_(TV_series)_(%E6%96%B0%E7%99%BD%E5%8F%91%E9%AD%94%E5%A5%B3%E4%BC%A0).jpg

The Romance of the White Hair Maiden (1995 TV series)

200px-The_Romance_of_the_White_Hair_Maiden_%281995_TV_series%29.jpg

Nicky Wu’s “The Bride With White Hair”

The-Bride-With-White-Hair-Ma-Su.jpg

Secret Executioner

Geez, I totally wonder why... Could it be a REMAKE ?! I wish someone had mentionned other versions. Wait, someone DID...

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG
Geez, I totally wonder why... Could it be a REMAKE ?! I wish someone had mentionned other versions. Wait, someone DID...

GFW.

Do you think this will come to the USA and France? That where you are, right?

GD Y-Y

Secret Executioner
GFW.

Do you think this will come to the USA and France? That where you are, right?

GD Y-Y

Don't know about the US, but for France, I'd bet on a direct-to-video release - like it happened with several films set in ancient/Medieval China such as Tai Chi Zero or The Flying Swords of Dragon Gate - though a theatrical run isn't completely impossible (I saw the first Detective Dee at a theater, back in 2011 for instance)

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG
Don't know about the US, but for France, I'd bet on a direct-to-video release - like it happened with several films set in ancient/Medieval China such as Tai Chi Zero or The Flying Swords of Dragon Gate - though a theatrical run isn't completely impossible (I saw the first Detective Dee at a theater, back in 2011 for instance)

Right.

GD Y-Y

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

New trailers.

Looks like its coming to England.

yHt9k-oNH10

kmeE7sphwDs

GD Y-Y

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

31043_logo.jpg

Check out the beginning of trailer for.

The-White-Haired-Witch-of-Lunar-Kingdom-2014-1.jpg

Shaw Organisation Presents

The white haired witch of lunar kingdom (2014)

(Organisation) am I imagining they misspelled....................Organization.

kmeE7sphwDs

Looks like its coming to England.

Published on Apr 14, 2014

In Shaw Theatres 31 July 2014 (Thurs) -

At the end of the Ming Dynasty, corruption is rife, a traitor is in power and the Jin army is threatening war. In the Northwest, famine is rife. The "Jade Raksha," a witch thought of as evil throughout the empire, helps the victims of the famine by arresting and killing corrupt officials responsible for it. She is framed for the murder of the governor of the Province, Zhuozhong Lian, and her and her followers become targets of the Dynasty. Meanwhile, the head of the Non-Affiliated Party Zhi Yanglu choses his disciple Zhuo Yihang to be his successor. Zhuo Yihang is dispatched to Beijing to pay tribute to the emperor with a red pellet. Zhou Yihang leaves to go to the Northwest to explore the situation with the famine. After he leaves, the Emperor eats the red pellet and dies. The Palace Guard is dispatched to capture Zhou Yihang. Zhou Yihang encounters the "Jade Raksha." He sees that she is not the evil witch she is rumored to be. He goes with her back to the Moon Village Society she has formed. It is a place of idyllic beauty, peace and justice. Despite their differences, they begin to fall in love. The Palace Guard invades the Moon Wall Village and captures Zhou Yihang. It is revealed that the former head of the province was his grandfather. He learns that his new love, the "Jade Raksha," supposedly murdered him. He refuses to fight back.His master; the head of the Unaffiliated Party hears of Zhou Yihang's capture and kills himself. Zhou is heartbroken. He decides to leave the Unaffiliated Party and marry into an enemy family. The Jade Raksha hears word of this and goes to the Bridal chamber with the intention of killing Zhou Yihang. During the dying embers of a dynasty, will the two doomed lovers manage to survive with their integrity intact and fight for justice?

GD Y-Y

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Published on Apr 14, 2014

In Shaw Theatres 31 July 2014 (Thurs) -

At the end of the Ming Dynasty, corruption is rife, a traitor is in power and the Jin army is threatening war. In the Northwest, famine is rife. The "Jade Raksha," a witch thought of as evil throughout the empire, helps the victims of the famine by arresting and killing corrupt officials responsible for it. She is framed for the murder of the governor of the Province, Zhuozhong Lian, and her and her followers become targets of the Dynasty. Meanwhile, the head of the Non-Affiliated Party Zhi Yanglu choses his disciple Zhuo Yihang to be his successor. Zhuo Yihang is dispatched to Beijing to pay tribute to the emperor with a red pellet. Zhou Yihang leaves to go to the Northwest to explore the situation with the famine. After he leaves, the Emperor eats the red pellet and dies. The Palace Guard is dispatched to capture Zhou Yihang. Zhou Yihang encounters the "Jade Raksha." He sees that she is not the evil witch she is rumored to be. He goes with her back to the Moon Village Society she has formed. It is a place of idyllic beauty, peace and justice. Despite their differences, they begin to fall in love. The Palace Guard invades the Moon Wall Village and captures Zhou Yihang. It is revealed that the former head of the province was his grandfather. He learns that his new love, the "Jade Raksha," supposedly murdered him. He refuses to fight back.His master; the head of the Unaffiliated Party hears of Zhou Yihang's capture and kills himself. Zhou is heartbroken. He decides to leave the Unaffiliated Party and marry into an enemy family. The Jade Raksha hears word of this and goes to the Bridal chamber with the intention of killing Zhou Yihang. During the dying embers of a dynasty, will the two doomed lovers manage to survive with their integrity intact and fight for justice?

Drunken Monk

The Shaw Brothers studios never really went away. Wikipedia has their last film listed as being released in 2011 but the Shaw crest appears at the beginning of the "Once Upon a Time in Shanghai" trailer too.

Secret Executioner

That film looks awesome. Wish we had had a thread about it ages ago. Wait...

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

e White-Haired Witch of Lunar Kingdom (2014)

Reviewed by: STSH on 2014-08-05

Summary: A different take

If you're expecting a remake of The Bride With White Hair, prepare to be at least perturbed. TWHWOLK takes some of the elements, but what results differs so much that it may be considered a loose adaptation at best.

The similarities feel almost trivial. The lead character's hair dramatically turns white, though just why this happens is never explained. The love story is a major thread, and the lovers are sometimes working in opposition. Both are wu'xia, so there are plenty of characters who can fly and fight at the same time.

But everything else is different. Tsui Hark is credited as a consultant, and many of his famous motifs are tossed into the mix. The shadow of his great CGS trilogy looms large, as does Green Snake (where Vincent Zhao also played a villain, as he does here).

Fan Bingbing is of course ravishing. But as the outright top-billed star, her part feels surprisingly small. If anything, the male lead Huang Xiao-Ming is onscreen more than FBB. Although the comparisons are clearly unfair, FBB lacks the raw power of Brigitte Lin, and is nowhere near Joey Wong's ethereal beauty.

FBB plays The Witch as rather a sweetie with reluctant nasty streak. Her rage looks manufactured when it competes with her peachy pleading visage, and this distracts from the intended effect.

TWHWOLK seems to dwell far more on the military battles than The Bride did, though I think this works in the former's favour, and makes more sense of what happens than did The Bride.

These reservations notwithstanding, TWHWOLK is highly entertaining and, in my opinion, a better movie than The Bride. The film looks fantastic, and makes fairly decent use of 3D without being exceptional (e.g. compared with Donnie Yen's Monkey King or Tsui Hark's Detective Dee movies). The colour and movement are gorgeous.

Slow scenes are blessedly short. Even the long and lingering loving looks between the two leads aren't stretched out too long. Gotta love the sensibility of Chinese audiences. They just won't sit still long enough for anything to go on too long without some action or laughs.

There's action aplenty, and it starts from the very opening, which is one of the many highlights. A collection of robed fu experts, in opposing teams of black versus white, stand on the flat top of a half-sphere of rock, precariously balanced on a rock spire high above a river. Black and white compete to throw each other into the river while maintaining balance, for the amusement of a crowd on the river bank. Wonderful stuff, superbly choreographed by Steven Tung with added fluidity courtesy of convincing CGI.

The action scenes are filled with sharp weapons whizzing past in near-misses that are balletic and poetic, and are pure pleasure to behold.

I feel a little mean only giving this one 7/10, but I think 8/10 would be a bit too much. Nevertheless, highly entertaining and strongly recommended.

Reviewer Score: 7

GD Y-Y

One Armed Boxer
TWHWOLK is highly entertaining and, in my opinion, a better movie than The Bride (with White Hair).

That's a bold statement considering the classic status that 'The Bride with White Hair' has, and especially in light of the absolute lambasting 'The White Haired Witch of Lunar Kingdom' seems to be getting from most online reviews.

Slow scenes are blessedly short. Even the long and lingering loving looks between the two leads aren't stretched out too long. Gotta love the sensibility of Chinese audiences. They just won't sit still long enough for anything to go on too long without some action or laughs.

Oh dear.

GD Y-Y, I'm presuming STSH is another one of your pseudonyms? If not and this review hasn't been written by you, as I've mentioned before can you please include a link to the source, or it leads to confusion as to if you actually wrote it or not, especially as you sign your name at the end of it. Just use the 'Insert link' tab and copy and paste the URL into it at the end of your posts, and that way everyone is clear. If it is your review though, all good. Cheers!

5. While re-posting of information found elsewhere is permissible, please provide a link to the source. Copying information and then posting it as your own is highly frowned on. Google is a wonderful tool to catch plagiarists-in-denial.

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/announcement.php?f=3

Archived