Shout Factory's The Angela Mao Ying Collection DVD

muppetdanny

Secret Executioner
Make it a fun day and watch this with Iron Monkey 2 (full screen version) and Fearless Hyena 2 (I have not seen Badges of Fury -- yet).

I only have FH2 out of the films you listed, but once I have Queen's Ransom a,d Badges Of Fury (which I'd really like to see despite all the negative reviews), I'll treat myself to these 3. :tongue:

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
masterofoneinchpunch
I only have FH2 out of the films you listed, but once I have Queen's Ransom a,d Badges Of Fury (which I'd really like to see despite all the negative reviews), I'll treat myself to these 3. :tongue:

I'm going to see Badges of Fury as well, but I do have a high tolerance for pain. I was going to add in Laughing Times or Lucky Encounter, but they are harder to get and while being bad they are also less fun.

Secret Executioner
I'm going to see Badges of Fury as well, but I do have a high tolerance for pain. I was going to add in Laughing Times or Lucky Encounter, but they are harder to get and while being bad they are also less fun.

I would have added 18 Bronzegirls to the list. It is also a pretty bad one - but more a "WTF am I watching" moment (it makes no sense at all) than an enjoyably bad movie. :squigglemouth:

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Great set. The transfers were all as good as I've seen these films look. Also, I like the option of the original audio and English subs or English dub available for all the films on the set.

The Dragon

I agree KFB! This is probably as good as we'll get for these titles, however, that's not a slight... They look darned good.

Thanks for your wonderful contributions as well!

:nerd:

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
I agree KFB! This is probably as good as we'll get for these titles, however, that's not a slight... They look darned good.

I was thrilled with this set.

Thanks for your wonderful contributions as well!

:nerd:

Thanks man! I was pleasantly surprised when I played my set and saw that they used my artwork on the DVD menus as well. :nerd:

masterofoneinchpunch
I was thrilled with this set.

Thanks man! I was pleasantly surprised when I played my set and saw that they used my artwork on the DVD menus as well. :nerd:

I get a kick out of seeing your artwork everytime on the DVD menus :) like hey I know who did that.

I wrote about the transfers several times in this thread. They are certainly an improvement from past releases (Joy Sales), but sometimes you can notice the pal-to-ntsc transfer issues (I also asked previous member mark about the runtimes which confirmed my suspicions on this issue.) A biggie for me was the improvement in subtitles -- though I have a few questions about them as well. This is probably the best we will see in a while.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
I get a kick out of seeing your artwork everytime on the DVD menus :) like hey I know who did that.

Me too. It's surreal. :tongue:

I wrote about the transfers several times in this thread. They are certainly an improvement from past releases (Joy Sales), but sometimes you can notice the pal-to-ntsc transfer issues (I also asked previous member mark about the runtimes which confirmed my suspicions on this issue.) A biggie for me was the improvement in subtitles -- though I have a few questions about them as well. This is probably the best we will see in a while.

Some people don't like to read back through threads... sigh. I'm guilty of this sometimes too though. :angel:

Worked my way through this set,very pleased with it,the transfer on Broken Oath especially excellent.Thought The Himalayan had been cropped but Markgway at B&B said it was the only GH movie of the period to be filmed in 1:85:1. Have to say though while Stoner is a bad movie but curiously entertaining with a good action climax Queen's Ransom is just plain,plain bad.amazing how a movie with the cast it has turned out this way :squigglemouth:but overall a recommended set,have bought all Shout's GH sets so far,i hope they are selling well enough to continue.And just to echo everyone else awesome work done there Bob! :bigsmile:

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Worked my way through this set,very pleased with it,the transfer on Broken Oath especially excellent.Thought The Himalayan had been cropped but Markgway at B&B said it was the only GH movie of the period to be filmed in 1:85:1. Have to say though while Stoner is a bad movie but curiously entertaining with a good action climax Queen's Ransom is just plain,plain bad.amazing how a movie with the cast it has turned out this way :squigglemouth:but overall a recommended set,have bought all Shout's GH sets so far,i hope they are selling well enough to continue.And just to echo everyone else awesome work done there Bob! :bigsmile:

I could watch BROKEN OATH over and over and over again. Such a great movie! :nerd:

It is odd that THE HIMALAYAN is shot in a different format than the others, but as soon as I started watching it I could tell that it wasn't cropped and looked like the correct aspect ratio.

I agree with your appraisal of STONER and QUEEN'S RANSOM. I thought QR had it's moments, but... it's definitely less than the sum of it's parts.

Thanks ! :wink:

KFB - just catching up from my self imposed coma! Nice cover art buddy! Gotta get this Angela Mao set as well, time to retire those VHS copies!

Secret Executioner

Looks like I REALLY have to get this one. Out of curiosity (since you seem to have all of them), which Shout! Factory GH sets would you consider the best ?

OpiumKungFuCracker

Is the Himalayan also known as Dance Of Death which also stars Jackie Chan? I'm trying to log it on Letterboxd, just hope it's the same film and can anyone confirm a young Jackie Chan is in that film?

Secret Executioner
Is the Himalayan also known as Dance Of Death which also stars Jackie Chan? I'm trying to log it on Letterboxd, just hope it's the same film and can anyone confirm a young Jackie Chan is in that film?

According to hkcinemagic, Dance Of Death (a film which indeed stars Angela and Jackie) is a Taiwanese flick released in 1979 (while The Himalayan is a 1976 HK production) and it's an independent movie (well, not a Golden Harvest release).

OpiumKungFuCracker
According to hkcinemagic, Dance Of Death (a film which indeed stars Angela and Jackie) is a Taiwanese flick released in 1979 (while The Himalayan is a 1976 HK production) and it's an independent movie (well, not a Golden Harvest release).

So they're two different films, sonofafuck!!!:tinysmile_angry2_t: I have no idea why it's not on letterboxd????

Congrats for them using your art, Kung Fu Bob. I haven't been here in awhile so it was a nice surprise for me to see you doing well. Good job! Did I hear correct? Did you do the art for Scream Factory's Lake Placid? If so that is awesome too.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Congrats for them using your art, Kung Fu Bob. I haven't been here in awhile so it was a nice surprise for me to see you doing well. Good job! Did I hear correct? Did you do the art for Scream Factory's Lake Placid? If so that is awesome too.

Thanks! :wink:

Yes, I've done a few covers now for Shout! Factory/Scream Factory- LAKE PLACID, THE ANGELA MAO YING COLLECTION, THE BATTERY (being released on September 16th. http://www.shoutfactory.com/product/battery-0), and another kung fu release which I'm not allowed to reveal yet. But I'm hopeful you guys will dig it! :bigsmile:

@Kung Fu Bob, that's awesome. Something to look forward to. If the opportunity arrives please suggest Mr. Vampire to Scream Factory (if the opportunity presents itself. Lol). I'm looking forward to more GH releases. Maybe we'll get Dreadnaught, finally.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
@Kung Fu Bob, that's awesome. Something to look forward to. If the opportunity arrives please suggest Mr. Vampire to Scream Factory (if the opportunity presents itself. Lol).

Will do. Man would I love to do a cover for that! :nerd:

I'm looking forward to more GH releases. Maybe we'll get Dreadnaught, finally.

That would be great.

Doctor Schnabel von Rom

THE TOURNAMENT, Stoner and THE HIMALAYAN:

Uncut and in original Language and with englisch subs?

The other three movies i have got allready.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
THE TOURNAMENT, Stoner and THE HIMALAYAN:

Uncut and in original Language and with englisch subs?

Yes, and the subs look great. They also all have English dub options.

Doctor Schnabel von Rom

thanks! i will put in on my to long wishlist:biggrin:

and i prefer original l. before dubbed versions;-)

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

I usually prefer watching films with the original language and subtitles too. But it's nice to have the option to watch the dub if I'm in the mood, or lend it to a friend that doesn't like subs.

Archived