Shout Factory's The Angela Mao Ying Collection DVD

muppetdanny

Will definitely pick that up! Congrats Kung Fu Bob. Nice looking cover. Since you're in contact with Shout Factory, how about forwarding them the "Movies deserving an official release" thread :)

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yangstyle13

Like others, I wish to extend my congrats to KFB for very nice cover work! Even though I own most of the movies, I am still going to get the boxset to help promote getting these movies out.

Big John

Like others, I wish to extend my congrats to KFB for very nice cover work! Even though I own most of the movies, I am still going to get the boxset to help promote getting these movies out.

Big John

Congrats to KFB as well! Although I don't think I have any of these aside from an old VHS of When TKD Strikes and a pan and scan DVD of Broken Oath... so this will be a good purchase! Unless I can finagle a way to help Shout on this one and score a free copy :xd: Doubt it, but hey, it was fun helping with the Bruce Lee set :smile:

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Since you're in contact with Shout Factory, how about forwarding them the "Movies deserving an official release" thread :)

I am absolutely putting in my two sense and will definitely forward a link to that thread to the proper people. But lest anyone get the wrong idea, I'm not really "inside" with my name on a door at Shout! Factory's home base or anything. I was just extremely fortunate that Cliff MacMillan is a fan of my work, and he put in the good words that led to this exciting opportunity. :smile: Still, I'll tell them. It can't hurt to ask.

Thank you so much for all the kind words and support. It's really a wonderful thing to read that some of you would buy the set just to show your support of my art! Really incredible. :bigsmile:

Oh, and in case you guys missed it, Shout! Factory is also releasing BUSHIDO MAN on DVD and Blu-ray in June! Great fight-filled movie. Here's the thread (post # 66): http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17298&page=7

danthemandmv

Bob,that cover art ROCKS!I'll definitely be getting this set(I've already ordered Shout! Factory's ''LADY WHIRLWIND/HAPKIDO'' release).Would be cool to see similar releases for Polly Shang Kwan Ling Feng's films,not to mention Chia Ling's...

You guys like my cover painting? :nerd:

They changed the background color, but I still think it looks decent like that.

I'm really proud of this one. It was very hard to keep mum about this for the last few months! :wink:

Great job KFB! You did my Lil' Lady proud!

:nerd:

I don't know why Bob isn't working for a major comic book company like Marvel, I would love to see him do a martial arts movie inspired comic book. :nerd:

I agree, CTK...

Even featuring the likeness of one famous, "Little Dragon"... maybe?

:wink:

Secret Executioner
I agree, CTK...

Why ONE when he could make a Clones Of Bruce Lee comic and have THREE of them ?! :tongue:

Secret Executioner
So exciting to be a little part of this set! A lot of less hardcore fans than us- those that don't have multi-region players nor do trading- will probably be seeing these for the first time! Imagine being a kung fu movie fan, and buying this set with no idea of what you're about to see? :nerd: Awesome!

*Slowly raises his hand* :redface:

Also, it's really cool you got involved in this. The artwork is really nice and that alone makes the set owning IMO (the cool artwork and the fact I "know" the guy who did it).

OpiumKungFuCracker

Angelo Mao is one of my favorite actors ever, can't wait to pick up this box set. Once again KUNGFUBOB KNocked this one out of the stratosphere. Why can't they make this set in Bluray?

I actually haven't seen them either. I will have to now!

Congrats of course to Bob for superb cover art.

Hopefully these will be re-mastered and have mono sound.

Will buy this even tho 3 of the films IMO are poor, i love Broken Oath, The Tournament and The Himalayan but the others....:tongue:

Well I'm excited since I've only seen The Himalayan. Props to Shout for giving these movies a legit R1 release and to KFB for the great artwork.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Karlos said:
WOW!

That KFB art really seals the deal - yes, I am prepared to pay Customs & Excise for the honor of owning this beautiful set! :bigsmile:

I know that Customs can really give you guys a raw deal (the audacity of you UK residents wanting to own something from over-seas. Outrageous! :xd:), so knowing you'll pick it up in spite of this is... just wow! :bigsmile:

danthemandmv said:
Bob,that cover art ROCKS!I'll definitely be getting this set(I've already ordered Shout! Factory's ''LADY WHIRLWIND/HAPKIDO'' release).Would be cool to see similar releases for Polly Shang Kwan Ling Feng's films,not to mention Chia Ling's...

Thank you Dan!

Yeah, me too. I've got the Hong Kong Legends edition of HAPKIDO, but still. :tongue: Plus, I can use an upgrade on my LADY WHIRLWIND. :nerd:

The Dragon said:
Great job KFB! You did my Lil' Lady proud!

Alright alright alright! :bigsmile: I was hoping you would approve. Don't want to dis my buddy by not doing his gal justice in my painting. :wink:

Jackiechanfan said:
I'm going to pick this up too. I have the Fortune Star version of all the movies in this set.

:smile: So cool.

Chinatown Kid said:
I don't know why Bob isn't working for a major comic book company like Marvel, I would love to see him do a martial arts movie inspired comic book. :nerd:

You know bro, I've never tried pursuing that. I did have a well-regarded comic-book company interested in my art, but after doing some sample work for them I was warned by a friend that many of their artists were having trouble getting paid. So I dropped that particular en-devour like a hot potato. Also, from what I've heard, typically an artist has to prove themselves drawing interiors for a long time before they get to do covers. I'm not really interested in doing interiors (at least not at this time), so... I'm so flattered that you think my work is worthy of that though.

The Dragon said:
I agree, CTK...

Godfrey Ho worshipper said:
Why ONE when he could make a Clones Of Bruce Lee comic and have THREE of them ?! :tongue:

:nerd: Hmmm... mental gears start turning...

No need to be embarrassed. Even a lot of us "older dudes" that have been into watching Asian cinema for decades have plenty of stuff that we still haven't seen. One of my best buddies (who shall go unnamed) still hasn't seen any of the Lone Wolf and Cub films yet (For shame! :xd:)! And I just got called out by Daisho and Tosh when I admitted I'd never seen Kenji Misummi's THE LAST SAMURAI (1974)... for shame... on me. :tongue: LOL They were shocked. It's now on top of my pile of movies to watch.

Anyway, I'm excited for you! You're going to dig this set!

Also, it's really cool you got involved in this. The artwork is really nice and that alone makes the set owning IMO (the cool artwork and the fact I "know" the guy who did it).

Thanks man!

OpiumKungFuCracker said:
Angelo Mao is one of my favorite actors ever, can't wait to pick up this box set. Once again KUNGFUBOB KNocked this one out of the stratosphere.

I'm especially happy to hear this from you bro, as I decided in your honor I would paint the whole thing while both drunk and stoned. So I guess, all things considered, it came out pretty good? (Kidding! :xd:)

massa_yoda said:
I actually haven't seen them either. I will have to now!
David Rees said:
Congrats of course to Bob for superb cover art.

Hopefully these will be re-mastered and have mono sound.

Will buy this even tho 3 of the films IMO are poor, i love Broken Oath, The Tournament and The Himalayan but the others....:tongue:

Thank you sir!

Not a fan of the other three? Here's what I think of them...

WHEN TAE KWON DO STRIKES (1973)- This is a whacked out film with a ton of action. Lots of familiar Golden Harvest regulars in here (Sammo, Carter Wong, Chin Yuet-Sang, Wilson Tong), plus excellent work from masters Whang Ing-Sik and Jhoon Rhee.

THE TOURNAMENT (1974)- Angela not only does kung fu in this, but gets into Thai kick-boxing, and even fights George Yirikian (who fought Sonny Chiba in RETURN OF THE STREETFIGHTER) who plays a karate master. Angela is fantastic in this!

STONER (1974)- Is a mixed bag, but in a fun, Grind-House sort of way. Wild and unpredictable, with a mixture of groovy '70s psychedelia, old school kung fu charm, and modern-day spy thriller (with some spicy nudity too!). One-time James Bond George Lazenby goes for broke in the fight scenes, and Angela wrecks everybody in sight. She has a memorable fight with Whang Ing-Sik in this one too.

THE HIMALAYAN (1976)- Is an under-seen gem! This one co-stars Dorian Tan Tao-Liang, and man does he delivers with his usual high-standard kicking skills. In fact, in one scene where he and Angela are trading blows, she looks completely flustered and outclassed as she tries to block of barrage of his lightning-fast kicks. I'm not used to seeing her in that position! LOL But fear not, she beats the stuffing out of everyone else. :bigsmile:

A QUEEN’S RANSOM (1976)- Is the stinker of the set for me. From what I've read, the film was constructed around the Queen's real-life visit so that the production could utilize actual footage of that event. But the "plot" is all over the place, and the film's content ranges from boring filler nonsense, to great, explosive, bloody fisticuffs. Besides Angela, the cast features Jimmy Wang Yu (he's really the star of the film), Bolo, Lazenby, O Chun-Hung, Tanny Tien Ni, Dean Sheck, and many more familiar faces. This is the kind of film you'll probably watch once all the way through, then revisit only for some of the fights.

BROKEN OATH (1977)- I love this film! From the director of KING BOXER comes a Hong Kong take on the Japanese chanbara film LADY SNOWBLOOD. It's a revenge thriller where the vengeance debt is passed from one generation to the next, and it has Angela at her most badass (while still looking beautiful). You get an awesome cast- Bruce Liang (looking fantastic here), Chan Wai-Man, Kuo Cheng-Yu, Sammo- bone-crunching action, intense kung fu hand-to-hand, esoteric bladed weapons, fire-breathing, scorpion throwing... What more could you ask for? :bigsmile:

HyperDrive said:
Well I'm excited since I've only seen The Himalayan. Props to Shout for giving these movies a legit R1 release and to KFB for the great artwork.

Another forum brother that's in store for a long weekend of Fu goodness!

The only one I havent seen is Queens Ransom. Stoner is NOT good. Kind of a poor mans James Bond with some very mediocre martial arts. But gotta support releases of these movies! I'm super excited to get upgrades of The Himalayan, WTS and Broken Oath. Just crossing my fingers theyre remastered :)

I have all these titles, however, will double-dip, in support of KFB's and SHOUT Factory's efforts, to bring these films to a new generation, hopefully remastered.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
The only one I havent seen is Queens Ransom. Stoner is NOT good. Kind of a poor mans James Bond with some very mediocre martial arts.

I thought Angela was great in her fights here. And especially the last half hour, which is all action. Lazenby's on-screen martial arts skill are far from amazing, but the fact that he is so committed in his performance makes a difference for me. Plus... Whang Ing-Sik is uh... on fire here. :tongue:

But gotta support releases of these movies! I'm super excited to get upgrades of The Himalayan, WTS and Broken Oath. Just crossing my fingers theyre remastered :)

Me too!

I have all these titles, however, will double-dip, in support of KFB's and SHOUT Factory's efforts, to bring these films to a new generation, hopefully remastered.

THE LOYALTY OF THE DRAGON... Coming soon to a theater near you! :nerd:

Stoner's one of those films that takes a while to get going. First third is very awkward stuff but as KFB said, the last half hour is pretty kickass.

Never saw Queen's Ransom so will pick it up for that reason alone.

Damn Bob and I thought you knocked it out of the park with Lake Placid! It gets better and better can't wait to see what you do next. Personally I'm hoping for a Godzilla title :bigsmile:

I'm looking forward to seeing The Himalayan, a movie that has escaped me for a while!

The only one I havent seen is Queens Ransom. Stoner is NOT good. Kind of a poor mans James Bond with some very mediocre martial arts.

I doubt you'll like Queens Ransom then.

Stoner is a great movie and Queens Ransom is interesting. But honestly, they're both horrible movies - you just have to watch them in that early 70's, post-Bruce Lee Golden Harvest era.

All in all, they're a a historical piece of history. 007 in a Golden Harvest flicks…. come on, that's badass!

Now, Man from Hong Kong (which is obviously not included in this set) is a great movie!

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Stoner's one of those films that takes a while to get going. First third is very awkward stuff but as KFB said, the last half hour is pretty kickass.

Right on. While STONER is wildly uneven, Angela has some fantastic fights in it. She's going up against multiple opponents, a dude with an axe, Whang Ing-Sik (again)...

Never saw Queen's Ransom so will pick it up for that reason alone.

Yeah, there's some insane bits in this one. Like I said before- it's a watch once, then re-visit for certain scenes kind of movie. :tongue: I loved seeing Mao Ying firing that old machine gun! I had to include that on the cover. :nerd:

Damn Bob and I thought you knocked it out of the park with Lake Placid! It gets better and better can't wait to see what you do next. Personally I'm hoping for a Godzilla title :bigsmile:

Thanks brother. :bigsmile: There are more coming. :wink:

Which company is going to be re-releasing the Godzilla titles? I'll give them a ring. Can't hurt to try, right? I learned that from Karlos. :bigsmile:

I'm looking forward to seeing The Himalayan, a movie that has escaped me for a while!

I went into this one with low expectations. I think I had heard that it was bad, but I still searched for it for years. I was very pleasantly surprised once I got it. I'm sure this release is going to look better than the way I first saw it on VHS back in the day. LOL

I doubt you'll like Queens Ransom then.

Stoner is a great movie and Queens Ransom is interesting. But honestly, they're both horrible movies - you just have to watch them in that early 70's, post-Bruce Lee Golden Harvest era.

Funny! Within two sentences you describe STONER as both "great" and "horrible", yet I totally understand what you're saying! :xd: For me it's a fun mess. While QUEEN'S RANSOM is not always fun, with frequent boring stretches. It has some fun scenes though.

All in all, they're a a historical piece of history. 007 in a Golden Harvest flicks…. come on, that's badass!

You said it bro! :nerd:

Now, Man from Hong Kong (which is obviously not included in this set) is a great movie!

Love it! I watch this one about every year and a half or so.

I was recently discussing this movie with One Armed Boxer (also a fan of the film) and he hadn't listened to the audio commentary by director Brian Trenchard-Smith that's included on the Special Edition of the film. It's fantastic people! Check it out if you can. Brian (who is on Face Book, and is a very intelligent, interesting cat) tells it straight, from shooting car chases without permits to the difficulties of filming with JWY. In addition to directing, Brian also plays a role in the film, and during his fight scene with Jimmy, the star actually beat him up! :crossedlips:

Some of the nutty behind-the-scenes stuff from MAN FROM HONG KONG is also included in the great Oz-ploitation documentary NOT QUITE HOLLYWOOD (2009), which is all about Australian exploitation films. Mad Max's superior almost busted up the One-Armed Swordsman... in real life! :tongue: Such a fun doc. Thanks to One Armed Boxer for sending me an official release of this straight from The Land Down Under. :nerd:

Cloud Hands

I'll be getting this set. I've not seen Stoner or Queens Ransom, and I only have When Taekwondo strikes on VCD - its worth upgrading for that film alone. Broken Oath is compulsory viewing, one of my favourite Golden Harvests.

Which company is going to be re-releasing the Godzilla titles? I'll give them a ring. Can't hurt to try, right? I learned that from Karlos. :bigsmile:

With the new Godzilla movie coming in theater in May, lots of the old godzilla films are being released on bluray for the first time in May ! that's pretty cool I guess :)

Also all Gamera movies are coming to blu ray aswell.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
With the new Godzilla movie coming in theater in May, lots of the old godzilla films are being released on bluray for the first time in May ! that's pretty cool I guess :)

Also all Gamera movies are coming to blu ray aswell.

Ah, too late then.

Stuff like that is finished many months in advance of release.

I have a few of the Gamera films on Blu-ray, but I've got them all on DVD. Unless I found them for some ridiculously cheap price, I doubt I'd upgrade them. A few of the Godzilla films might qualify for an upgrade though... :nerd:

Archived