Shout Factory's The Angela Mao Ying Collection DVD

muppetdanny

muppetdanny

From Shout Factory:

“There have been kung fu heroines and slashing swordswomen before her, but never had a female action star taken center cage in world cinema and held it, the way Angela Mao did.”

– Ric Meyers, Films Of Fury: The Kung Fu Movie Book

Get ready for six action-packed martial-arts films featuring martial-arts sensation Angela Mao Ying, the Queen of kung fu (Hapkido, Lady Whirlwind, Enter The Dragon).

Also starring George Lazenby (On Her Majesty’s Secret Service), Bolo Yueng (Enter The Dragon), Jimmy Wang Yu (The One-Armed Swordsman), Sammo Hung Kam-Bo (Project A, Kill Zone), Yuen Biao (Tai Chi Hero, Wheels On Meals) and Carter Huang (Big Trouble In Little China), The Angela Mao Ying Collection is a martial-arts treasure trove for any fan of the genre.

This Six-Movie set includes:

WHEN TAEKWONDO STRIKES (1973)

THE TOURNAMENT (1974)

STONER (1974)

THE HIMALAYAN (1976)

A QUEEN’S RANSOM (1976)

BROKEN OATH (1977)

Discs: 3

Format: NTSC

Video region: Region 1

Color: Color

Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1

Language: English, Mandarin

Subtitles: English

AMYCollCover72dpi.jpg

source: http://www.shoutfactory.com/product/angela-mao-ying-collection

This looks like a interesting set...

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Silver Fox

I'm gonna buy it. I have three of the movies already but it seems like they're doing it right as far as languages/aspect ratio.

These should be based on Fortune Star masters. For their initial double feature of Hapkido and Lady Whirlwind, I was worried about the latter due to the previous incarnation via Fortune Star was one of those "old school" (albeit, anamorphically enhanced) PAL-to-NTSC interlaced transfers. However, Shout was apparently able to obtain a PAL master to properly convert to 23.976 NTSC, so it should be one of the better looking versions of Lady Whirlwind if all goes well.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

You guys like my cover painting? :nerd:

They changed the background color, but I still think it looks decent like that.

I'm really proud of this one. It was very hard to keep mum about this for the last few months! :wink:

Angela Mao is one of my favourites so I'll definitely pick this up when it's released. KUNG FU BOB delivered with the artwork as usual, great work! Will you be releasing a Angela Mao poster?

Secret Executioner

Looks like a really nice set. Guess they are learning and improving the quality of their products. :bigsmile:

Drunken Monk

Really great cover, Kung Fu Bob! Despite just picking up the Fortune Star versions of "The Tournament," "The Himalayan" and "Broken Oath," I might just have to pick this up. If not for the films then to support the artwork of a fellow forum member.

Another excellent cover, Bob. Looks like a nice set of DVDs, will pick it up when I have some spare cash.

I already own all those movies too, but I'll be picking it up too, to show support and hopefully better picture and English subs. Great cover!

masterofoneinchpunch

NIce Bob! I'll be picking this up. I'm pretty excited about it. The only one I own is Stoner. I hope Shout! keeps improving their releases. I have a whole bunch of TV series from them (and others).

Are there other sites than amazon (I don't buy there, first, because they don't use paypal, and second, because each time I tried to buy other than region 2 dvds, they said that they didn't ship them to France ) where it's available ?

If you get it, could you tell us if there is a great difference between this release and the Fortune star ones, please ?

Thanks for the answer.

The Silver Fox
You guys like my cover painting? :nerd:

They changed the background color, but I still think it looks decent like that.

I'm really proud of this one. It was very hard to keep mum about this for the last few months! :wink:

More great work,you're on a roll Kung Fu Bob!

Chinatown Kid

I'll be getting this for When TKD Strikes and Broken Oath, already have the others. Never saw Broken Oath so I'm really looking forward to it, hear Bruce Liang shines in it as well.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
I'm gonna buy it. I have three of the movies already but it seems like they're doing it right as far as languages/aspect ratio.

Even though I already have various versions of these films, I was so excited when they contacted me about the set. Once it sunk in that I was being asked to do the cover... :tongue: Say what? :smile:

So exciting to be a little part of this set! A lot of less hardcore fans than us- those that don't have multi-region players nor do trading- will probably be seeing these for the first time! Imagine being a kung fu movie fan, and buying this set with no idea of what you're about to see? :nerd: Awesome!

These should be based on Fortune Star masters. For their initial double feature of Hapkido and Lady Whirlwind, I was worried about the latter due to the previous incarnation via Fortune Star was one of those "old school" (albeit, anamorphically enhanced) PAL-to-NTSC interlaced transfers. However, Shout was apparently able to obtain a PAL master to properly convert to 23.976 NTSC, so it should be one of the better looking versions of Lady Whirlwind if all goes well.

Good to hear that man.

From everything I know about them, they are REAL fans and always fighting (sometimes jumping through countless flaming hoops) to get the best prints possible. I've heard many horror stories from several different companies about dealing with foreign film owners, and their "take what we give you or the deal's off" tactics. Often the below standard prints are sneakily delivered when it's too late for the companies to do anything about it without missing their carefully pre-planned street dates. But Shout! Factory has repeatedly risen from the corpse-littered home video distribution battlefield, bloody, but still willing to fight. When they replaced the two discs from the Bruce Lee Legacy Collection I knew they meant serious business.

BTW- Yes, I'm thrilled to be doing covers for them, but I wouldn't say what I said above if I didn't really feel that way. If I thought they were thoughtless losers... I'd just keep quiet! :xd:

Angela Mao is one of my favourites so I'll definitely pick this up when it's released. KUNG FU BOB delivered with the artwork as usual, great work! Will you be releasing a Angela Mao poster?

Thanks man!

Yes!

Looks like a really nice set. Guess they are learning and improving the quality of their products. :bigsmile:

Onward and upward. :nerd:

Really great cover, Kung Fu Bob! Despite just picking up the Fortune Star versions of "The Tournament," "The Himalayan" and "Broken Oath," I might just have to pick this up. If not for the films then to support the artwork of a fellow forum member.

Another excellent cover, Bob. Looks like a nice set of DVDs, will pick it up when I have some spare cash.

I already own all those movies too, but I'll be picking it up too, to show support and hopefully better picture and English subs. Great cover!

NIce Bob! I'll be picking this up. I'm pretty excited about it. The only one I own is Stoner. I hope Shout! keeps improving their releases. I have a whole bunch of TV series from them (and others).

More great work,you're on a roll Kung Fu Bob!

Damn, thanks everybody! :bigsmile:

I know that Shout! Factory pays close attention to the comments people leave on their Face Book page about the work of their cover artists. So once they make their Face Book announcement... if those who like it would be so kind as to post there, that would be great. :wink: However, those that hate my art should simply let me know in a PM. :xd: LOL

Great i'll probably buy this set too! hopefully they're all the most recent remastered anamorphic transfer :)

Another fantastic piece of art!!!! Even though they changed the background color the important thing is they are using your artwork!!!

The composition is great and it captures the feel of what a DVD set should be!!

Can't wait to add this to my collection!

Chinatown Kid

I don't know why Bob isn't working for a major comic book company like Marvel, I would love to see him do a martial arts movie inspired comic book. :nerd:

I'd planned on getting this anyway, since I've not seen most of these films. Bob's artwork sealed the deal once again!

WOW!

That KFB art really seals the deal - yes, I am prepared to pay Customs & Excise for the honor of owning this beautiful set! :bigsmile:

ShaOW!linDude
I don't know why Bob isn't working for a major comic book company like Marvel, I would love to see him do a martial arts movie inspired comic book. :nerd:

YES! YES! A THOUSAND TIMES YES!!!!!

Fantastic cover, Bob. (And I haven't seen any of those films.) Guess I'll be scooping that up.

Archived