If only.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We never will find out. Results might have been line of classics or not...

One thing we know for sure what was alreary made were definitely BRUCE movies...As far as my things go, only chan wai man and hwang jang lee could have replaced bruce with pure rage and screen energy.(they maybe started career later tho)

In shaws he could have been extraordinary or then got lost into jungle with other shaw stars. We still do not know what kind of roles he would have been given. Remember back then they also had lots of "big names"...

I wonder whether it's a case of my fantasies far outdoing the reality but it just seems to exciting to imagine Bruce Lee paired up with a number of other Shaw stars. Even seeing something as simple as Bruce alongside Gordon Liu bring about iconic imagery.

Of course, whether that actually would have happened or not, I don't know. The same goes for whether Bruce would have been choreographed by, say, Lau Kar Leung. It could be that, at this stage, he was interested in choreographing himself.

I wonder whether it's a case of my fantasies far outdoing the reality but it just seems to exciting to imagine Bruce Lee paired up with a number of other Shaw stars. Even seeing something as simple as Bruce alongside Gordon Liu bring about iconic imagery.

Of course, whether that actually would have happened or not, I don't know. The same goes for whether Bruce would have been choreographed by, say, Lau Kar Leung. It could be that, at this stage, he was interested in choreographing himself.

I may not know all facts but I have impression bruce was very ambitious wanted to have total control of everything, I my guess he would have become superman, nobody else will be match from him. Hints of that megalomania was seeing at big boss, after that he did beat others with little sweat.

LKL was usually tho not caring bloodshed and moral of story was more important that would definitely been interesting combination of those very vital characters for kung-fu cinema.

masterofoneinchpunch

I do not think he would have done well in that studio system. Would they have given him the freedom that he needs?

To use an old school analogy: it reminds me of when Buster Keaton signed for MGM giving up his autonomy. The first film he did with them (The Cameraman) was a classic, but he was butting heads more and more. The studio thought they knew best, Buster thought otherwise. The confrontations got worse, the films got worse until Buster was fired (the drinking did not help, but that was caused by the combination of the studio, the bizarre paring with Jimmy Durante and his wife.)

I think Bruce could have got one good/great film out of the situation, but then I think it would start deterorting at once. Imagine Bruce being told to work under Wong Jing (of course this is speclulating that he would have lived in the early 80s) when they think a comedy collaboration would work well.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG
I do not think he would have done well in that studio system. Would they have given him the freedom that he needs?

To use an old school analogy: it reminds me of when Buster Keaton signed for MGM giving up his autonomy. The first film he did with them (The Cameraman) was a classic, but he was butting heads more and more. The studio thought they knew best, Buster thought otherwise. The confrontations got worse, the films got worse until Buster was fired (the drinking did not help, but that was caused by the combination of the studio, the bizarre paring with Jimmy Durante and his wife.)

I think Bruce could have got one good/great film out of the situation, but then I think it would start deterorting at once. Imagine Bruce being told to work under Wong Jing (of course this is speclulating that he would have lived in the early 80s) when they think a comedy collaboration would work well.

You make a very good point.

But still.

Now Bruce and Ku Feng are the villains and Ti Lung and David Chiang are the heroes.

theheroicones03.jpg

13780540_ori.jpg

4273237_orig.jpg

leeaxe.jpg

Directed by Chang Cheh.

I wonder if Bruce would have chosen villain roles?

What do you all think.

That would have been something else again.

GD Y-Y

Ice-factory bollowed by mansion at big boss are likely my favourites of end fights ever in kung-fu cinema. I love several otres like end of secret rivals2, uncut drunken master , masked avengers with amazing tridedents, four infernos to cross...there would be more to mention but waste of time...For me bruce became hero because that fight,,,of course good rest of movie decent too.

DId read bruces goals were higher than "just" a kung-fu star

I wonder about the villain thing too. Bruce had the dark intensity that would make for a fantastic villain but I wonder whether he suffered from "Jackie Chan Syndrome" and would only want to play a bad guy.

I'm actually not a huge fan of Bruce's filmography but I would have loved to see some variety out of him. Although it wasn't really his thing, the idea of Bruce pulling off "shapes" puts a huge smile on my face.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG
I wonder about the villain thing too. Bruce had the dark intensity that would make for a fantastic villain but I wonder whether he suffered from "Jackie Chan Syndrome" and would only want to play a bad guy.

I'm actually not a huge fan of Bruce's filmography but I would have loved to see some variety out of him. Although it wasn't really his thing, the idea of Bruce pulling off "shapes" puts a huge smile on my face.

I think Bruce could and would have rose above the "Jackie Chan Syndrome".

Why, maybe because he was a real martial artist vs. Jackie as a Peking Opera trained movie star.

Bruce was also as we know was an actor at a very very young.

I think he would of realized how powerful he would have been as the white haired devil.

GD Y-Y

Jackie was great baddie in Jimmy Wang Yu's 'Killer Meteors'.

Was this Jackie only villain role?

GD Y-Y

Bruce was great antihero in fists of fury and big boss, Hes nature lost something in enter the dragon ( good comib book movie) and way of the dragon,

Cynical take my enemies down whatever it takes was best formula to his films.

Bruce would have maybe able to puff of comedy too.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

resized_bruce_lee_styleguide_illos3.jpg?itok=YXGtkA0a

http://www.examiner.com/article/bruce-lee-the-power-of-yin-and-yang

November 2, 2010

There was no concept that was more important to Bruce Lee than that of Yin and Yang. To Lee, this was a principle that underlined the very structure of gung fu, and was something that a gung fu man should try to incorporate into their lives. It is a principle that was derived from Lee's study of Taoism, and it is one that is very influential in Eastern life and culture. In order to understand the importance of this simple yet powerful concept, we must examine it fully as Bruce Lee did many years ago.

The Yin/Yang is a concept that was established over three thousand years ago by a man named Chou Chun I. They are a pair of complementary forces that are involved in all phenomena. The Yin (white) represents positiveness, firmness, masculinity, substantiality, brightness, right, coldness, etc. The Yang (black), therefore, represents negativeness, softness, femininity, insubstantiality, darkness, wrong, warmth, etc. These forces follow the basic principle of Tai Chi in that nothing is so permanent that it can never change. They follow a certain pattern that if looked at closely offers a world of insight to the viewer. In the most basic of terms, when activity (Yang) ends up reaching its threshold, it becomes inactivity (Yin). Extreme inactivity (Yin) leads to activity (Yang) again, and thus the circular cycle begins anew. One can see from this principle that these forces are not at odds with each other, but are in fact mutually interdependent and act together in cooperation.

This in turn leads to another principle that is important to understanding of Yin/Yang, and that is called The Law of Harmony. According to Lee, this law states that "one should be in harmony with, not in rebellion against, the strength and force of the opposition." He described this so eloquently using examples pertaining to martial art. When one is attacked by an opponent using strength (Yang), one should not respond back with strength (Yang) but should instead use softness (Yin) and lead his opponents strength (Yang) into his own force against him. Once the opponents force reaches its apex, it is converted into softness (Yin). It is in this moment that the victim can use his own strength (Yang) against his opponent with an attack of force. As you can see, this is not a strained response. It allows for the action/reaction to work harmoniously together by allowing the victim to fit his movements in flawlessly with his attacker to diffuse the situation!

Lee would also use other visual metaphors to explain this important concept. Some of his favorites included comparing a stiff oak tree that breaks in a hard wind with that of bamboo which bends and then springs back upright. He also liked to use a metaphor about riding a bike. In order to attain movement when riding, there must be a unison of opposing forces. To start, you must push (Yang) the pedal, and as that movement occurs, the opposite pedal pulls (Yin) back. As it pulls (Yin) back, you must once again push (Yang) the pedal forward to keep the cycle going. The only way for the bike to attain movement is for the two forces to work cooperatively together.

Bruce Lee believed that if one can master the art of Yin and Yang, one can live in balance with the universe. It is the Way of martial art, the Way of life, and the Way of all things. Practice this concept and you can achieve a power that is unlike anything else in the world, the power of living in harmony.

One thing is bruce in shaws I was thinking choreography, In golden harvest films we got to see one kick or punch poor opponent was down, He did not have nowere equals except big boss and chuck norris...How it would be in shaws?

Would bruce accept think of becoming weaker?steven seagal never did, he kills opponents without sweat,

Chinatown Kid

I don't believe Bruce Lee and Lau Kar Leung would have got along as they were polar opposites. Lau was the staunch Kung Fu traditionalist where as Lee was much more electic and modern in his screen fighting approach. I don't believe he would have preformed shapes as he would believe it was not the way people fought in the real world, even on the screen. In other words, he wanted his fights to look more like a fluid kickboxing style were as Laus' was traditional forms based fighting that has a tendency to look dance like on screen. Bruce knew no fight goes down like that and would refuse to act to the contrary.

I enjoy both styles and and can appreciate the skill involved in them.

Archived