Welcome to the Jungle (2013) Review

mpm74

There are two facts you should know about Welcome to the Jungle before you dive in:

1) It’s not a Jean-Claude Van Damme movie. If you’re expecting something like Kickboxer, you’re in for a big surprise. In fact, you may end up hating it.

2) It’s not a Van Damme comedy. It’s more of an ensemble comedy that Van Damme is a part of. If anything, Adam Brody and Rob Huebel have the starring roles. Don’t let the poster fool you.

Rob Meltzer’s Welcome to the Jungle revolves around a group of office workers who find themselves stranded on a desert island when a corporate retreat, led by unhinged former Marine (Van Damme), goes horribly wrong. Now Chris (Brody) and his co-workers must battle nature – and each other – to survive.

Welcome to the Jungle takes ideas from films like Office Space, as well as tidbits from Lord of the Flies and Apocalypse Now, to make a nicely paced comedy. While decent, it’s no surprise that it didn’t receive a theatrical release. Even if they threw in Seth Rogen and a few million more to the budget, there would still be something missing that would keep it from being a box office contender. But then again, it’s definitely a better movie than The Hangover Part III. Go figure.

As for the Van Damme fans who want to see their hero in a funny movie? I wouldn’t exactly call his comedic talent amazing, but the guy does pull it off naturally. His character is basically a parody of every role he’s played during his heyday. And yes, he does get to show off his martial arts skills, but don’t get up to refill your drink, because you’ll miss it. In the end, kudos to Van Damme for trying something different, as he always does.

As long as you’re okay with the two facts I stated at the beginning of this review, Welcome to the Jungle is worth watching.

http://www.cityonfire.com/welcome-to-the-jungle-2013-review-jean-claude-van-damme/

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TheGrimReaper

It was decent, not great but still watchable - and his daughter is one sweet cupcake with extra sugar on top :)

At first I was: Whaaaa, but then I went: Nice job van Damme - your daughter looks nothing like you, and thank god for that. The comedy was plausible, but when van Damme gets to parody itself - it was spot on.

Oh, and his sone is in there too (the boner scene).

It's cool that Van Damme is putting his children in his movies every chance he gets, but… I don't know. I guess if their characters weren't so forced and had meaningful roles, it would make more sense.

But yeah, I agree. Good movie. Had some good moments.

OpiumKungFuCracker

Is this available on streaming yet? Better than Hangover 3? Now I really need to see it as I quite liked Hangover 3. Is the token Asian guy funny in this?

Is this available on streaming yet? Better than Hangover 3? Now I really need to see it as I quite liked Hangover 3. Is the token Asian guy funny in this?

It's my opinion. But I was never a big fan of the Hangover films. Jungle has more of a Mike Judge type feel to it.

Rob Huebel is very funny in it.

And yes, it's available streaming.

You might have just sold me on this.

Let me just stress, it isn’t as good as a Mike Judge creation. Let’s just say it’s a good shot at it.

Don’t want to get your hopes up too high. =D

OpiumKungFuCracker

Beilive me when I say this, but we have much in common than you think. We practically finish each other sentences and like just about the same movies, well except for THE RIAIDE

Beilive me when I say this, but we have much in common than you think. We practically finish each other sentences and like just about the same movies, well except for THE RIAIDE

i want you.

Suffered through the movie. The premise was good and it could have been a good movie. but the potential was wasted. They tried hard to be funny, except it just wasn't funny.

Archived