The Raid Remake

SamSeed

OpiumKungFuCracker
Oh shit. That means Yahan and company choreographing the Hemsworth brothers at the Hollywood level. That's a step up from Tony Jaa choreographing fights in Fast 7 with Diesel and Jason Statham. Even if it's not Silat, Yahan is more than capable of choreographing fights with different (body) types of people and different martial arts. He was the combat coordinator for Indonesian police forces, if I'm not mistaken. Smart move.

I think you mean Patrick Hughes III (Expendables 3), not Evans.

I am intrigued now. Might as well give Mad dog a line or two in the remake since he's choreographing the fights?

Hey, nice write up mpm74. :bigsmile:

Gareth is a class act! I love his response to what Stallone said, and I agree that it should be taken as a compliment.

I agree with you about why THE RAID was a success, but that doesn't mean that another director can't also pull off something intriguing with the same premise. A lot of films have a simple storyline, but the right filmmakers can make it into magic. For instance, there's a fun science fiction film called IT! THE TERROR FROM BEYOND SPACE (1958). Simple story- space crew trying not to be killed by a creature that has stowed aboard their ship. A cool flick, but nothing ground-breaking. However, the same basic plot also became the classic ALIEN (1979)! :nerd:

The problem is though that we have our Alien. It is called THE RAID! Hollywood will turn this into IT! The Terror From Beyond Space. :xd:

I just don`t understand the idea of an remake of a film that has only been out roughly 3 years. What is next, remake for an 6 day old film? :tongue: This whole remake crap could be avoided if they would have just released this film wide here in the good ole USA. I would bet that they would probably have made about the same money or more. I think The Raid had like 15 minutes of talking in it; not that many subs to read? :xd: They kept the Shakespeare down to a minimum.

One cast member has been officially confirmed for the remake: Dark Horizons revealed that Frank Grillo, who was asked the possibility of returning for Captain America 3, has signed on for a role in THE RAID and mentioned the remake will now begin production in January.

Also, Gareth admitted in a tweet that part of the deal in greenlighting the remake helped get the funding needed for The Raid 2... so even if the remake sucks, we have to remember that we at least got The Raid 2 out of it :wink:

OpiumKungFuCracker
Also, Gareth admitted in a tweet that part of the deal in greenlighting the remake helped get the funding needed for The Raid 2... so even if the remake sucks, we have to remember that we at least got The Raid 2 out of it :wink:

Do you know if the remake becomes a box office hit, Will Gareth get any of the profit to fund The Raid 3? Holy shit, The Raid 3 with an even bigger budget, I can't take this anymore!!!!

Noelle Shadow Kick
Do you know if the remake becomes a box office hit, Will Gareth get any of the profit to fund The Raid 3? Holy shit, The Raid 3 with an even bigger budget, I can't take this anymore!!!!

Well as I mentioned in the Raid 2 thread, Berandal underperformed and the likelihood of a higher budget for Raid 3 is...not good. To summarize what I posted in the Raid 2 thread:

The Raid was a surprise hit and made a little over $4 million. It had an estimated $1 million budget, so it was considered a success. Numbers here via Box Office Mojo.

It's also worth noting that the movie started with a limited release, and eventually the popularity moved it up to more theaters.

For The Raid 2, the budget was estimated at $5 million. This movie also had a wide release almost from the beginning (it followed the 1 week limited release, next week wide release pattern). This movie has only made a little over $2.5 million, and is ranked on Box Office Mojo under "Worst Opening Weekend Per-Theater Averages" and "Worst Openings - Wide Releases". More info here.

I was under the impression the film did extremely well in Indonesia, but obviously that's not a huge film market. Also, the studios that put up the budgets for these movies do not see as much as the foreign market money as you might think, which is why movies like Pacific Rim are considered a failure, despite making over $300 million overseas.

Unfortunately, I would bet this means that Evans will have trouble getting a budget of even $5 million for his next film. DVD/Blu Ray sales help with genre releases, but ultimately this movie underperformed.

But if The Raid remake does well and Gareth Evans is a producer on the film, then he will certainly see money from that. If he decides to use his own money to fund the budget of The Raid 3 is up to him. If the remake does extremely well here, then it could drive sales of the first 2 and those sales could be used as leverage when asking for funding for The Raid 3. However, I still can't imagine a company agreeing to a higher budget than 2 due to its box office performance.

Check out the video

SjJW_qJ8VMU

Cung Le announced he is in talks for a role in THE RAID remake alongside possibly appearing in other films after his match with Michael Bisping in August. So as of now, the only confirmed casting is that of Frank Grillo. I have a hunch (do not take my word for it) Grillo would play Joe Taslim's role or that of the SWAT team leader.

Taylor Kitsch has been offered the role originated by Iko Uwais in THE RAID. With his recent track record, he was the last name I expected to even appear in the film.

However, there is a catch...Shooting of the remake is set to begin in January and his reps are trying to get him casted in HBO's TRUE DETECTIVE series. So, right now, it is up in the air whether he will end up taking the role or not.

OpiumKungFuCracker
Taylor Kitsch has been offered the role originated by Iko Uwais in THE RAID. With his recent track record, he was the last name I expected to even appear in the film.

However, there is a catch...Shooting of the remake is set to begin in January and his reps are trying to get him casted in HBO's TRUE DETECTIVE series. So, right now, it is up in the air whether he will end up taking the role or not.

Wow, I mean I just don't know what to say.

Secret Executioner

Hope this remake won't be as good as Taylor Kitsch's previous movies - besides, he IMO doesn't look the part at all.

ShaOW!linDude
I have to admit, I can see Adkins in the role originated by Joe Taslim.

No, dude!!!!! Adkins ought to play Mad Dog!!!!!! (Of course, he won't 'cause I just jinxed it by saying that.:cry:)

Well, it might not matter much at this stage in the same. The remake is pretty much on life-support at this time:

• Patrick Hughes has dropped out of the project
  • Despite his earlier intentions to withdraw, Frank Grillo apparently remains committed to the film but...
  • Screen Gems has also dropped out of the project, which leaves XYZ Films (the film's producer) without any distribution.

However, according to The Tracking Board, XYZ Films has refused to give up and are on the hunt for a new director and a new distribution house.

Joe Carnahan has confirmed via Instagram that he will be producing AND direct the remake. He is partnering with Frank Grillo under their War Party company. It looks like Gareth Evans is also producing and has given his blessing. It's not going to be a straight remake, but a reboot that will have the tone and feel of Narc and The Grey

http://www.darkhorizons.com/joe-carnahan-to-direct-the-raid-remake/

• Like 2

The following is from KungFuKingdom.Com

Gareth Evans may have officially closed the door on “The Raid 3”, but fans of the franchise still have plenty to look forward to in the form of the film’s currently in-development English language remake, which will reportedly shift the setting to Caracas, Venezuela. It goes without saying that this version will have some big shoes to fill, but fortunately, it seems that director Joe Carnahan’s “The Raid” remake has all its bases covered courtesy of some recent comments made by screenwriter Adam G. Simon, who recently shared some new details on the project.

For more on this story, click on the link below.

Link- https://kungfukingdom.com/new-info-on-the-raid-remake/

flixmas_2012__the_raid_by_rianmiller-d6e

Edited by DragonClaws

I just... I just cannot see the point of this. From a purely aesthetic standpoint, dialogue makes up maybe 30% of the original film? To remake what little dialogue there is in English seems like the ultimate exercise in pointlessness.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2018 at 4:45 PM, SamSeed said:

I just... I just cannot see the point of this. From a purely aesthetic standpoint, dialogue makes up maybe 30% of the original film? To remake what little dialogue there is in English seems like the ultimate exercise in pointlessness. 

I'm not mad to see anohter version so soon, but if this brings MA cinema into miansteam multplex's, or turns on some younger fans to the genre, then I'm all for it.

21 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

I'm not mad to see anohter version so soon, but if this brings MA cinema into miansteam multplex's, or turns on some younger fans to the genre, then I'm all for it.

Oh don't get me wrong I'll still watch it, I mean I'm still willing it to be good! 

• Like 1

Director Joe Carnahan "sat down with Collider's own Steve Weintraub recently to talk about the upcoming film El Chicano, which he co-wrote and produced, and the Smokin' Aces filmmaker revealed that he'll hopefully be starting prep on The Raid in the next few weeks.  The film is based on director Gareth Evans' 2011 Indonesian action thriller of the same name, with Frank Grillo set in the starring role."  Plot - "You meet Franks character having just rotated back from a really, really brutal special forces operation.  He's got soft tissue damage in his hands, and his rotator cuff is blown out, and they take fluid off his knees, and the doctors basically tell him, 'Listen you're at the razor's edge of PTSD and you need three months of just nothing, some R&R, because you're jacked up.'  And in that space he gets the message that his brother, who he thought had been dead for four years, is actually alive and working for a very bad guy in Caracas, and in 18 hours they're gonna kill his brother.  These forces are gonna descend and murder the bad guy and murder the brother, so do you wanna go and get your brother5, who you thought is dead?  Do you want that opportunity?  So that's where we start."  More at http://collider.com/the-raid-remake-plot-details-joe-carnahan/#images

• Like 1

DragonClaws

gettyimages-452527536.jpg

Collider reports with confirmation that actor Frank Grillo (Donnybrook, Beyond Skyline) will star in director Joe Carnahan‘s upcoming redo of Gareth Huw Evans’ 2011 crime hit, The Raid.

Source- https://filmcombatsyndicate.com/the-raid-carnahan-confirms-grillo-character-and-plot-details/

Anyone think this thread be moved to the Modern Martial Arts forum?.

Edited by DragonClaws

DragonClaws

Source- http://www.maactioncinema.com/archives/880

“I want the entire movie to feel like the knife fight between Adam Goldberg and the German in Saving Private Ryan. Everything. In every great action film there’s always an emotional quotient that you’re dealing with… You have to have a sense of stakes.

Saving Private Ryan remains one of my all time best cinematic experiences. I snuck in under age to see this with friends, the cinema was packed and we ended up on the front row. Never have I ever been so nauseated by screen violence. Mainly becuase it wasnt just purely for entertianment purposes, but to show how horrific real war and violence is. The scene mentioned above, left a big impact on us all. I wouldnt want to sit through an enitre movie, that aimed for kind of real horror tension. It was uneasy to watch then, and still is now.

You cared about the characters in that film, becuase of Speilbergs ace direction and the fact it was a true story. The Raid movie however, as entertaing as they were. Had more computer game style violence/action, where it numbs you out. The characters came across as mostly just cannon fodder.

Really hope this turns out to be a decent Hollywood Martial Arts film though.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

Major update: Joe Carnahan has recently revealed that he no longer will remake The Raid and he is no longer working with XYZ Films, who own the current rights to the original film. Instead, Carnahan will take his vision of the remake and create a new film called Zeno. He has announced he is in negotiations with a major star to play the lead and has already signed an unnamed major star to play the villain:

“The version that I wrote, [the police] don’t ever intend to actually go in [to the crime lord’s building]. They think that they’re gonna move this guy. So their whole operation is, ‘we’re gonna hit this guy in transit.’ It’s not until they realize, ‘Oh, they’re digging in, they’re not moving, we’ve got to now go in and get him.’ It’s a very, very different script…It’s really, really, really about the brothers.”

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 3