The Raid Remake

SamSeed

As I'm sure we're all aware, The Raid is unfortunately getting an English language remake. Well it was recentley announced that Expendables 3 helmer Patrick Hughes has been signed up to direct. I'm generally cynical of most remakes, and with this one I genuinely cannot see the advantage of doing it.

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/the-raid/29398/director-found-for-english-language-remake-of-the-raid

Liam Helmsworth is a terrible choice. I don't like him as an actor. He has yet to prove himself and Hollywood keeps putting him in big budget projects like people actually know who he is besides being Hanna Montana's ex-bf or Thor's brother.

• Like 1

Oh god.. I can only imagine how bad this will be. Hollywood proudly presents RZA as Mad dog, keanu reeves as jacka, and Samuel L Jackson as the main villain.. Watch something this pathetic will happen

• Administrator
And the rumor is that they want the Chris and Liam Hemsworth to star? Wtf is this movie going to be?

The Plot: Two brothers, estranged due to a family argument (who's shiny locks flow more glamorously) wind up on opposite sides of the law... :xd:

You know what? My first reaction when I heard "US remake of THE RAID" was a major groan and an exasperated "Why?!" My second stage of grief was acceptance- "Well, at least Gareth is getting some money. Good. I'm happy when a filmmaker I dig gets some kind of financial compensation for making great films." And now I'm open to the possibilities. If it turns out to be good, hey wonderful- another action film to enjoy. If it turns out terrible, I'm sure I'll hear that it's not worth seeing, and I either won't see it at all, or I'll wait for it to come on cable to give it a look. So for me, it's nothing to get worked up about.

That's usually how I feel about this kind of remake situation. Big deal. We'll either have another film to enjoy or not. But the original will be around forever. At least on my shelf anyway... in two different, wonderful editions. :nerd:

I will admit though, when I heard they were planning on doing a sequel or prequel to IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE I did fly right off the handle! :xd: I called my Dad, and we both bitched about it for about ten minutes ("Is nothing sacred?!" :wink:), then we were okay. :tongue: LOL

I kind of share KUNG FU BOB's opinion, either it's a good remake and another movie to enjoy/own or it's crap, whatever. I'm a fan of martial arts cinema so whenever a martial arts movie is announced I always look forward to it and try not to be critical.

Secret Executioner
Oh god.. I can only imagine how bad this will be. Hollywood proudly presents RZA as Mad dog, keanu reeves as jacka, and Samuel L Jackson as the main villain.. Watch something this pathetic will happen

Keanu Reeves and Samuel L Jackson aren't that bad. But considering the way people think of RZA appearances in movies, I guess THAT could be a bad one. Still need to watch his very own Man With The Iron Fists BTW.

OpiumKungFuCracker

Not sure if doing a remake is necessary I mean Dredd was kind of the same damn movie but, if it gets Evans some money, I guess this is more than a positive than it is a negative. Evans get more work, means Evans gets to do more movies and take over Hollywood for good.

Well, I will see a remake usually for curiosity purposes. I hope that if intend to make a remake of this film and say the Hemsworth brothers are casted, they will have to train hard in learning martial arts. I know Chris learned some basic stuff from wushu expert Gary Stearns (who played Yoshimitsu in the TEKKEN movie) for THOR. But this would have be a whole new level.

I think Larnell Stovall should come in as stunt coordinator and fight choreographer. As for casting...like I said...i'm kinda like 35-65 on the Hemsworths right now...I think some other talent would help...maybe Scott Adkins in the Andi role. I think they could try to get someone maybe new for the Rama role. Names may sell, but there are some talent out there...hell with it...I think someone like Eric Jacobus or even Shawn Bernal can be in the Rama role...some new blood could help :) That's my opinion anyway.

OpiumKungFuCracker
Well, I will see a remake usually for curiosity purposes. I hope that if intend to make a remake of this film and say the Hemsworth brothers are casted, they will have to train hard in learning martial arts. I know Chris learned some basic stuff from wushu expert Gary Stearns (who played Yoshimitsu in the TEKKEN movie) for THOR. But this would have be a whole new level.

I think Larnell Stovall should come in as stunt coordinator and fight choreographer. As for casting...like I said...i'm kinda like 35-65 on the Hemsworths right now...I think some other talent would help...maybe Scott Adkins in the Andi role. I think they could try to get someone maybe new for the Rama role. Names may sell, but there are some talent out there...hell with it...I think someone like Eric Jacobus or even Shawn Bernal can be in the Rama role...some new blood could help :) That's my opinion anyway.

So the remake will include Martial Arts in it? See I thought it was just going to be another mindless Die Hard clone without the martial arts in it but if you're sure it's going to incorporate Martial Arts in it, then not all hope is lost and it might be a serviceable movie going experience.

Liam Helmsworth is a terrible choice. I don't like him as an actor. He has yet to prove himself and Hollywood keeps putting him in big budget projects like people actually know who he is besides being Hanna Montana's ex-bf or Thor's brother.

Who the heck is he? Seriously, I've never watched Hannah Montana or Thor.

Wrote a bit about this remake a few days ago.

This raises the question: Would The Raid still be a good movie without its groundbreaking action?

The Raid was successful because of the awesome action plus Evans studied other genres techniques and added them in. For a martial arts movie, it almost plays out like a suspense/horror in many scenes. Without Evans directing and quality martial artists and stuntmen, you have a throw away action movie.

• Administrator
Wrote a bit about this remake a few days ago.

This raises the question: Would The Raid still be a good movie without its groundbreaking action?

Hey, nice write up mpm74. :bigsmile:

Gareth is a class act! I love his response to what Stallone said, and I agree that it should be taken as a compliment.

The Raid was successful because of the awesome action plus Evans studied other genres techniques and added them in. For a martial arts movie, it almost plays out like a suspense/horror in many scenes. Without Evans directing and quality martial artists and stuntmen, you have a throw away action movie.

I agree with you about why THE RAID was a success, but that doesn't mean that another director can't also pull off something intriguing with the same premise. A lot of films have a simple storyline, but the right filmmakers can make it into magic. For instance, there's a fun science fiction film called IT! THE TERROR FROM BEYOND SPACE (1958). Simple story- space crew trying not to be killed by a creature that has stowed aboard their ship. A cool flick, but nothing ground-breaking. However, the same basic plot also became the classic ALIEN (1979)! :nerd:

So the remake will include Martial Arts in it? See I thought it was just going to be another mindless Die Hard clone without the martial arts in it but if you're sure it's going to incorporate Martial Arts in it, then not all hope is lost and it might be a serviceable movie going experience.

I think they are incorporating martial arts, but can't clarify all the linguistics yet

Chinatown Kid

If they want to remake a movie that was successful based on the ground breaking fights/action that it had, it sure would make sense to put top martial artists like Adkins and Jaa in it, Kane Kosugi, hell even get Maddog from the original cause I'm sure people would love to see him again. Those Hollywood pretty boys sure can't pull it off :xd:

Now, I'm getting more curious with the remake...while it may not have the uses of silat and martial arts action that made the original excellent...I will admit, taking the premise and utilizing a different style of action could actually make it work. Personally, I would like to see some form of martial arts combat used, but for something like this, I would love to see more of a close quarter style like Krav Maga or even Russian Sambo used in some of the combat sequences.

I can't imagine the producers and director will be stupid enough to get rid of the martial arts angle entirely. After all, it's what made the original so iconic. They'll probably just use something other than Silat.

After all, like mpm74 says, "The Raid" without martial arts is essentially "Dredd" and I doubt they want to be considered a doppelganger in that respect.

I imagine they'll throw some Parkour in there...some MMA. The good thing is that the Hemsworth boys know how to get in shape. So, if their is slugging to be done, they'll probably be more than capable of pulling it off.

Drunken Monk

It's official: Patrick Evans will be the director. What's more interesting, however, is that the official statement says "the original choreographers are involved too."

Oh shit. That means Yahan and company choreographing the Hemsworth brothers at the Hollywood level. That's a step up from Tony Jaa choreographing fights in Fast 7 with Diesel and Jason Statham. Even if it's not Silat, Yahan is more than capable of choreographing fights with different (body) types of people and different martial arts. He was the combat coordinator for Indonesian police forces, if I'm not mistaken. Smart move.

I think you mean Patrick Hughes III (Expendables 3), not Evans.