El Rey Network

iron flag

While it is fun to get some rare English dubs, just remember that these are not HD (they are letterboxed) and El Ray likes to add annoying, big watermarks to the picture.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm shocked that nobody is hyped or discussing that El Rey is will be airing a WIDE variety of Shaw martial arts films. This press release says they've licensed 255 films!

https://www.facebook.com/notes/el-rey-network/el-rey-network-and-celestial-pictures-boost-multi-year-partnership-to-bring-view/531065216997912

I can never find WHEN they are showing them though. Is it random? Is there a kung fu night?

There's a sticky about this I know they play them every Thursday, it's kinda the designated day. But it seem so me they place at least 2 each day anyway.

Eastern Evil

It is easy to miss that sticky thread up there - I wonder if these dubs will be the ones that were showing on Sony Max in South Africa?

Will all 255 be shown in English? How awesome would it be to get a dub of My Rebellious Son? I want that more than anything.

Skeleton Claw

Will do.

Potentially bad news though. I went to my neighbor's apt upstairs just to catch a quick glimpse of Proud Youth and it seems to have been pulled completely from the schedule (they're showing some QT interview in it's place). Wasn't able to catch up with my friend yesterday but I've arranged it so I'm over there tomorrow to record Clan of Amazons.

If somehow you or anyone know how to transfer files from my DVDR box to computer, please message me. I have been able to record every shaw movies shown on El Rey.

Easiest way is make a DVD with your DVD recorder. In your manual it should have a section giving instructions on how to transfer a recording from the DVD recorder's hard drive to a DVD. Than simply put your DVD in your PC player and make an image (.iso file) on your PC with whatever burning software you use. I personally use Nero to make .iso files.

Added: if by DVDR box you meant a personal recorder like those used by cable/satellite providers like Direct TV for example, than ignore the above as my suggestion was for a DVD recorder, not a DVDR box.

Theres more good stuff coming up. Flag of Iron and Legendary Weapons of China. Clan of the Amazons started out DOPE but turned pretty boring with very little action.. Dont know,what the hype was about (unless something big happens soon) :)

This would only be exciting for me if it meant that these Shaw films would be released on blu ray by El Rey. It will certainly suck for those of us without cable. I imagine then that everyone is just going to DVR the shows and burn their own.

An exclusive license sorta makes me afraid that they will not be available anywhere else for sale. I wonder how this conflicts with the iTunes releases or are those done? Or, is there an arrangement of El Rey showing the films and iTunes selling them?

It just seems like we went from some blu ray releases (Japanese & German releases), possible HK blu ray releases (which do not seem to come true now), to iTunes downloads now to watching them on cable. Really sucks and is going in the wrong direction.

Theres more good stuff coming up. Flag of Iron and Legendary Weapons of China. Clan of the Amazons started out DOPE but turned pretty boring with very little action.. Dont know,what the hype was about (unless something big happens soon) :)

Flag of Iron and Legendary Weapons of China already have dubbed versions though.

An exclusive license sorta makes me afraid that they will not be available anywhere else for sale. I wonder how this conflicts with the iTunes releases or are those done? Or, is there an arrangement of El Rey showing the films and iTunes selling them?

All of those rights are separate. Just because a company has the streaming rights or TV rights doesn't mean another company can't buy the rights to sell blurays or dvd's.

on the 10th--that is tomorrow, THE FLYING DAGGER is supposed to be on with the dub, so record it if you possibly can. please and thanks

Skeleton Claw
on the 10th--that is tomorrow, THE FLYING DAGGER is supposed to be on with the dub, so record it if you possibly can. please and thanks

I will confirm in the morning but I believe it's set to record. Same for Kid From Kwangtung next week.

NoKUNGFUforYU

They had one of my least favorites, SHAOLIN HANDLOCK on last night. I guess they feel obligated to show Chiang and Lieh, but it was a weak movie, even when it came out I was unimpressed. Two non martial artists, and Chiang basically has to beat his move with a concealed weapon. I guess they had fun in Thailand.

They had one of my least favorites, SHAOLIN HANDLOCK on last night. I guess they feel obligated to show Chiang and Lieh, but it was a weak movie, even when it came out I was unimpressed. Two non martial artists, and Chiang basically has to beat his move with a concealed weapon. I guess they had fun in Thailand.

"Two non martial artists" come on dude, that's a pretty lame thing to say. These two have some fight scenes that are about as good as any "true martial artists". With that said, I haven't seen this movie, and haven heard much good about it either. But I highly doubt the cause is the actors, even with fights, it really all comes down to choreo. LKL had a way of making Lo Lieh looked like a straight champ, for instance.

masterofoneinchpunch

I'm curious on how the movie looked. Did it come off better than the Funimation DVD (with the bad pal-to-ntsc transfer)?

NoKUNGFUforYU
"Two non martial artists" come on dude, that's a pretty lame thing to say. These two have some fight scenes that are about as good as any "true martial artists". With that said, I haven't seen this movie, and haven heard much good about it either. But I highly doubt the cause is the actors, even with fights, it really all comes down to choreo. LKL had a way of making Lo Lieh looked like a straight champ, for instance.

I am going to have to disagree with you. Lieh looked good in the 60's and some of the 70's with a sword, and he was a good actor, but but I am not putting him in the league of a Ti Lung, or, for that matter Lung Ti! He liked to party, and you can see how rapidly he aged. The guy was married 5 times and died fairly young- 63, so I can't say that I should have expected to much. Most of his fights have him simply moving side to side while the real martial artists such as Chen Kuan Tai some how cannot manage to hit him, etc. As Phillip Kao Fei says "Lo Lieh has no kung fu!"

Also, I went to see this when it came out in San Francisco in 79, so, it was a hassle to say the least. I was not impressed by the choreo in it as well.

As far as Chiang goes, I NEVER bought him as a kung fu guy. He's alright with a sword flying about with trampolines, but he was very, very stiff. Weird, as usually the little skinny guys can do the wu shu type stuff, but 6 foot tall Ti Lung was much, much more agile. I would put Chiang in the same context as Wang Yu, except Wang had at least some swagger. Sorry, I wasted a lot of money on Chiang's movies in the 70's, always hoping "This time it will be different!"

Well now that you mention it, Lo's most memorable fighting performances are with weapons. I actually agree in large part about David Chiang, but I still enjoy many if not most of his movies. Ti Lung himself isn't a guy that stands out to me as a top tier screen fighter tbh (outside of a couple exceptions, like Delightful Forest.).

I never really paid much mind to Lo Liehs rapid-aging, but I'm sure it was easier to tell seeing the movies as they were released. I'd say it could be attributed to how active he wa in the film industry too though..I mean look how many movies this cat was in.. I have always seen that Phillip Ko made that comment, I'd like to see the interview in full as I'm curious to how that came about, and if he commented on other stars!

I've said it before & I'll say it again, if I could do what Lo Lieh could do on film, I wouldn't care if people said I didn't know real Kung Fu.

I've said it before & I'll say it again, if I could do what Lo Lieh could do on film, I wouldn't care if people said I didn't know real Kung Fu.

Well put, I guess that's my point, being a good screen fighter doesnt always have a direct correlation to actual martial arts skill, on top of the obvious fact that he is a hell of an actor. I'm sure he didn't give a shit if people said he didn't know martial arts.

My last point - I will defend Lo Lieh in a biased way If I feel the need to, and I admit it. Lol

NoKUNGFUforYU

You guys have it wrong to an extent, some of my favorite Shaws- Invincible Fist, The Long Chase and so on, were Wu Xia with Lieh, and he looked great in those, better than Chiang. I've said this before, you wouldn't expect an Olympic fencer to look like a black belt in Tae Kwon Do. I liked him in Five Fingers as well, even though he looked a little awkward. I just found, when he played Pei Mei or those kind of roles, he just wasn't convincing, at least during the fights. Acting wise, he's great- loved Black Magic 1&2, Kiss of Death and so on, I'm no hater!

You guys have it wrong to an extent, some of my favorite Shaws- Invincible Fist, The Long Chase and so on, were Wu Xia with Lieh, and he looked great in those, better than Chiang. I've said this before, you wouldn't expect an Olympic fencer to look like a black belt in Tae Kwon Do. I liked him in Five Fingers as well, even though he looked a little awkward. I just found, when he played Pei Mei or those kind of roles, he just wasn't convincing, at least during the fights. Acting wise, he's great- loved Black Magic 1&2, Kiss of Death and so on, I'm no hater!

I'll take that! Haha, BTW, I've been trying to get into Fu Sheng more.. I watched Disciples and must say I was underwhelmed. Also finally saw Heroes Two and it is now one of my favorite Shaws, he was great in it, but CKT stole the show. I recorded Shaolin Avengers and plan to watch it tomorrow.

I'll say this for Disciples though, Fu Sheng made me laugh a few times, and I don't think any of it was unintended.

Anyway, that's sort of back on topic of El Rey Shaws, right?

Watching 14 Amazons right now.

Archived