El Rey Network

iron flag

Robert Rodriguez has his own cable TV channel. Its called the El Rey Network. Theyre showing Shaw Brothers kung fu movies and lots of other good stuff. With commercials but still better than anything else on TV

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Comcast doesn't get the network in my area until March 13th. In case anyone was wondering what Shaws will be showing...

Feb 24th - Heroes of the East and Vengeance

March 1st - One Armed Swordsman, Return of the One Armed Swordsman and The New One Armed Swordsman

That's all I can gather for now.

They just showed The Dragon Missile with some sort of English dub. Was this supposed to be released on R1 dvd then?

Nice to have "kung fu theater" on saturday afternoons again :) yeah I was surprised to see Dragon Missle with English dub also!

OpiumKungFuCracker

I haven't had cable tv in quite awhile and I want to keep it that way. No more pestering repair man and customer service is always a drag. Why would I want that when all the stuff I can watch on El Rey already on dvd/bluray?

Cold Bishop

Well, these movies need continued exposure if interest in these movies is ever going to last or increase.

It probably would never happen, but an Amazon or Netflix or Hulu buying broadcast rights to the full Shaw catalog would be an absolute boon to interest in the genre. Lord knows Celestial would prefer it that way. Although lord knows what they're asking price is: a smart move would be to sell the catalog at a loss for a few years in hopes that the increased notoriety can increase the selling price when contracts are up.

I'm genuinely curious what sort of deal El Rey has with Celestial? Are these just the Dragon Dynasty films, unreleased and all?

I haven't had cable tv in quite awhile and I want to keep it that way. No more pestering repair man and customer service is always a drag. Why would I want that when all the stuff I can watch on El Rey already on dvd/bluray?

I'm not a fan of cable either but Robert Rodriuguez gets my support for showing old school Kung Fu movies on commercial TV! No one else is doing it..

Cold Bishop

Not yet, but it seem most of the material is HD, so it'll probably come with success.

My cable just picked it up, and its not bad. Yes, they're dubbed, and they're broken up with commercials (although the plus of a new network is that they don't attract as many advertisers, so shorter breaks). On the other hand, the films have been presented uncut and in the right aspect ratio. Certainly not the optimal way to see these films, but if something I've already seen is playing, its not bad to just tune in.

They're best bet will probably be digging deeper for the unreleased stuff in R1 (Vengeance, Dirty Ho, etc.)

Cold Bishop

One complaint: watching Come Drink With Me, I really wished they ditch the English dubs if they're newly-created. Old dubs have a nostalgic value, which I can understand; these are just lousy.

Jeru the Damaja
Not yet, but it seem most of the material is HD, so it'll probably come with success.

My cable just picked it up, and its not bad. Yes, they're dubbed, and they're broken up with commercials (although the plus of a new network is that they don't attract as many advertisers, so shorter breaks). On the other hand, the films have been presented uncut and in the right aspect ratio. Certainly not the optimal way to see these films, but if something I've already seen is playing, its not bad to just tune in.

They're best bet will probably be digging deeper for the unreleased stuff in R1 (Vengeance, Dirty Ho, etc.)

Dirty Ho is airing this saturday on El Rey.

One complaint: watching Come Drink With Me, I really wished they ditch the English dubs if they're newly-created. Old dubs have a nostalgic value, which I can understand; these are just lousy.

I hear you but I dont think Mandarin with English subs would be a good choice for the target demographic of El Rey network ;) 5 Element Ninjas and Kid With the Golden Arm double feature coming soon

Cold Bishop

Oh, I understand why they do it. But I think its a miscalculation: dubs these bad are likely to drive away as many people as subtitles. And I'll be shocked if they keep it up if they ever start showing genre films from Latin America or Europe.

Considering that they repeat the films back to back, it'd be nice if they alternated between dubs and subs for each showing.

5 Element Ninjas and Kid With the Golden Arm double feature coming soon

Was on last night. Flipping through channels I normally don't view and found The Rey and then remembered this thread. 36 Chamber and Eight Diagram coming up. The channel guide gave 36 Chamber "one star" and starred someone I didn't recognize; definitely not Gordon.

So, I'm sure some of you have been hearing about Robert Rodriguez's El Rey Network, primarily due to the highly publicized "From Dusk Til Dawn: The Series"

However, upon further inspection, the channel also plays a variety of "Grindhouse" films... including an assload of Shaw Brothers! Last night, they played the classic dubs of both Kid With The Golden Arm and Five Elements Ninjas. This Saturday, they have what is essentially a marathon:

8am: Heroes of the East

10:30am: Dirty Ho

12:30pm: Invincible Pole Fighter

3:30pm: The 36th Chamber of Shaolin

6pm: Heroes of the East (encore)

8:30pm: Dirty Ho (encore)

11:00pm: Invincible Pole Fighter (encore)

1:30am: The 36th Chamber of Shaolin (encore)

Also, I just noticed that it's EVERY Thursday that they have double features known as the *takes deep breath* "Flying Five Finger One Armed Eight Pole Shaolin Exploding Death Touch Thursdays". They had a commercial for next week's showing of Shaolin Mantis and Dirty Ho, appropriately narrated by the guy who narrated the Grindhouse trailers!

EDIT: Just found the commercial for last night's double feature!

b-a6VbF5088

well maybe they will show some of the lost dubbed shaws and we will finally be able to see them. so what if there are commercials, most people know how to edit them out. also i thought i would mention when looking up shaw bros trailers on youtube i came across trailers of english dub shaws such as THE PIRATE being shown on something called blackbelt tv. they seem to be showing a number of the lost dub shaws. any one know any thing about this.

Yeah, I do not have cable either but I hope that these films are being shown in HD and given the respect that they deserve and not treated like a joke.

Chinatown Kid
Was on last night. Flipping through channels I normally don't view and found The Rey and then remembered this thread. 36 Chamber and Eight Diagram coming up. The channel guide gave 36 Chamber "one star" and starred someone I didn't recognize; definitely not Gordon.

Watching the Gordon Liu marathon today and the channel guide rates everyone of them one star! They really know quality Martial Arts films from the crappy ones don't they. Shows the general public doesn't respect these films and lumps them all in as the same, fucking idiots!

Chinatown Kid
Oh, I understand why they do it. But I think its a miscalculation: dubs these bad are likely to drive away as many people as subtitles. And I'll be shocked if they keep it up if they ever start showing genre films from Latin America or Europe.

Considering that they repeat the films back to back, it'd be nice if they alternated between dubs and subs for each showing.

All the Shaw films I've seen on El Rey have had the original dubs thankfully, nice hearing them again as it takes me back to when I was a kid. :smile:

Cold Bishop

From what I can gather, the guides that cable companies use for their ratings don't really bother updating or revising ratings unless they're a "major" title. Even that can take a while for certain cult films: I know I've seen older films suddenly go from one to three stars inexplicably overnight.

Most of these reviews are probably knee-jerk dismissals from all the way back when the films first came to television.

The good news is that most cable companies are just getting rid of star ratings: I know my company (Comcast) have pretty much replaced them with the Tomatometer, for better or worse.

Archived