The Avenging Eagle (1978)

gravedigger666

Anyone wanna do a trade for my IVL to your Dragon Dynasty edition?? PM please!!

My copy is a bootleg that looks like it was filmed through a fish bowl, sorry

Morgoth Bauglir

Do you have a CD Tradepost near you? I saw this in a Dragon Dynasty 4-pack for $5.

I would see if you could get the Red Sun version since it has extra fight footage. There's also the Groundzero version which I think has the extra footage and the dub but it's full screen and fuzzy.

You definitely need the dub. All of the voice actors give great performances.

Chinatown Kid

This is in my top 3 best and favorite Fu Sheng films of all time, the other two being Disciples of Shaolin and Chinatown Kid. I have the IVL But would love to have the DD version for the dub because this is one of the better dubs. I first saw the film with the dub on BB Theatre In the 80's and it has sentimental value because the dub voices remind me of hearing old friends talking. Chinatown Kid is the same way plus the international ending is way better too. :nerd:

OpiumKungFuCracker

Chinatown Kid might be Fu Sheng's best role ever committed to celluloid. And to think he's just playing himself in regular street clothes in that one, lol.. No famous Chinese Historical figures like he did in the other films just some regular schmo and somehow his performance is just mesmerizing in it.

Chinatown Kid

Thanks kaiai, I'll definitely look into purchasing that. Fond childhood memories of the dub and film. You know Fu Sheng was kinda like The Wolverine in this flick with the blades on each wrist, one cool ass weapon!

I am trying to find an unedited version of Avenging Eagle, does anyone know what the run time is? 92 minutes?

Thanks

I don`t remember the time on it. But, the only "uncut" versions I know of are boots. The Ground Zero dvd releases (pan and scan vhs quality) and there is also Pan Media version. The Pan Media version just sticks the deleted footage (pan & scan vhs) in their Celestial dvd rip (widescreen remastered). The way it was done looks like crap.

• Administrator
The Pan Media version just sticks the deleted footage (pan & scan vhs) in their Celestial dvd rip (widescreen remastered). The way it was done looks like crap.

I agree that it is an abrupt switch from one version to the other, but I much prefer this to just having that footage missing. When I bought the IVL DVD and that chunk was missing I kept thinking "Is that it? I remember more from this scene." I think someone here mentioned that it was cut and then everything made sense. I compared it to my Ground Zero DVD and saw what had been missing.

I don't like recommending Pan Media discs, but in this case I much begrudgingly do so.

Chinatown Kid

Why would they cut that footage from the IVL in the first place? They know good and well that fans don't want their films cut, especially the action or was this a case of damaged film that couldn't be helped?

• Administrator
Why would they cut that footage from the IVL in the first place? They know good and well that fans don't want their films cut, especially the action or was this a case of damaged film that couldn't be helped?

I think I read that the print was damaged in that spot, so they cut that footage. Obviously we'd rather see rough looking footage than to have it cut out. But I guess they were afraid of back-lash from DVD collectors used to seeing clean prints.

I wish they had left it alone and added one of those warnings at the front of the film "Due to the age of this film, certain scenes are not in the best shape..."

There were other IVL films that had bits cut for the same reason, though I can't think of any titles off hand.

There were other IVL films that had bits cut for the same reason, though I can't think of any titles off hand.

At least "to kill a jaguar" and "bells of death" are cut.

Weird Man has a cut as well during the end action with Cheng Tien Chi. I was highly upset that it was cut. Most don't even know it is or what was there but i do. It's not super major but it had to have been damaged.

Chinatown Kid
I think I read that the print was damaged in that spot, so they cut that footage. Obviously we'd rather see rough looking footage than to have it cut out. But I guess they were afraid of back-lash from DVD collectors used to seeing clean prints.

I wish they had left it alone and added one of those warnings at the front of the film "Due to the age of this film, certain scenes are not in the best shape..."

I see, thanks for that info Bob. And I agree, I'd rather they still put it in the release damaged than not have it at all, bummer. :squigglemouth:

• Administrator
At least "to kill a jaguar" and "bells of death" are cut.

Weird Man has a cut as well during the end action with Cheng Tien Chi. I was highly upset that it was cut. Most don't even know it is or what was there but i do. It's not super major but it had to have been damaged.

Thanks for the answers guys. Were these substantial cuts like in AVENGING EAGLE, which was over a minute of footage, or a few seconds here and there? Not that a few seconds doesn't have a big impact sometimes.

I haven't watched THE WEIRD MAN yet, so I wonder if I'll even be able to tell where something is missing.

I see, thanks for that info Bob. And I agree, I'd rather they still put it in the release damaged than not have it at all, bummer. :squigglemouth:

Sure bro.

I'm embarrassed to say how many versions of AVENGING EAGLE I've picked up, always hoping that I'll find one with that cut footage in widescreen. :sad:

Thanks for the answers guys. Were these substantial cuts like in AVENGING EAGLE, which was over a minute of footage, or a few seconds here and there? Not that a few seconds doesn't have a big impact sometimes.

In bells of death it was non-action/dialoque scene, nothing important in that as far as I know..

And about to kill a jaguar I have seen movie just once but if I recall it right villain is holding a gun and then it moves to part he is shown dead so that is irrating...

• Administrator
In bells of death it was non-action/dialoque scene, nothing important in that as far as I know..

And about to kill a jaguar I have seen movie just once but if I recall it right villain is holding a gun and then it moves to part he is shown dead so that is irrating...

That sucks on both counts!

The second edit you mentioned reminds me of the original US VHS release of Sonny Chiba's THE STREETFIGHTER. The film received an X Rating upon it's theatrical release here in the states, and I guess someone decided to edit it for it's home video release. They chopped out excessive shots of violence, but additionally, they removed big chunks of footage seemingly at random. For instance, right in the middle of one big fight, it just cuts away to a completely different scene! In another abrupt edit, an important-to-the-plot character attacks the main character, disappears without us seeing the confrontation, then later we found out that Chiba-san had killed him! :tinysmile_angry2_t:

Morgoth Bauglir

I picked up the Dragon Dynasty version. I've always been happy with the Red Sun version but my local store was practically giving away DD titles today, so I figured it would good to grab a copy to let someone borrow it.

My first question/complaint is that the English dub doesn't sound right. The sound effects overpower the movie and it's ruined.

Also I used to have the Groundzero version and I am thinking of getting it again. Does anyone know if it has the extended fight footage in the finale? I can't watch the movie again without it.