The Avenging Eagle (1978)

gravedigger666

gravedigger666

ok,I asked this in venom5`s excellent sun chungs feature but no reply then:(..is this masterpiece cut,in the end I noticed some sequences which do not make sense in current form...if not full lenght,was it because of print damage?:(

The Celestial DVD/VCD is cut by a minute or so during the end fight. Why the cut is there, ultimately who knows. But speculation, print damage. That would be a question I'd like to ask someone in the know at Celestial.

You can see the footage cut out of the Celestial Version by watching the clip below. The footage from 0:36 to 1:38 is what was cut from the Celestial Version.

qZw0WPvytug

gravedigger666

Thx poe..movie is really ultragood.I still have 50 shaws unseen but I do not think none of them are close to avenging eagle.Acting,fight,costumes,storyline top notch.too bad ivl is not complete then:(

ok,I asked this in venom5`s excellent sun chungs feature but no reply then:(..is this masterpiece cut,in the end I noticed some sequences which do not make sense in current form...if not full lenght,was it because of print damage?:(

Hi, gravedigger, Peri and myself did answer your question there. Also, the answer to your question was in the Sun Chung article towards the bottom of the unfinished piece.

It's also cut on the 1st fight w/the Eagles as Fu Shengs character keeps nailing the guy in the balls with the guys weapon.

You mean the tv version, right? That bit is in the HK dvd.

The ILV disc is cut during that scene. Fu Sheng does a real number on him. Watch the HK disc and see the scene jump. I have seen this in the theater and was a little dissapointed at this cut as well as the MAJOR one in the ending that kinda changes the flavor of the ending.

I noticed the difference in the DVD and the tv version. Fu nails the guy several times in the DVD. You're saying there's more?

I'm looking at it now and he hits him the first time and there's some dialog and a bit more not on the TV version. Then later he hits him yet again with some additional dialog plus hitting him in the face that accounts for the bruises. This is all in the HK dvd. Where is the "uncut" version you speak of? The bruises on the actor are all accounted for from Fu Sheng's smacking him.

I am not going to argue. It's cut. I have seen this in the theaters years ago. Trust me.

I'm not arguing with you. But how can you detail vividly something you saw in the theater 30 years ago? Anyway, the scene you described is in the DVD and the bruises of which damage you say is MISSING is accounted for. I'm looking at the movie right now and have replayed this scene three times. You say something is missing here, okay, well how do you know then that what you saw in the theater wasn't cut, then? How do you know that THAT was the FULL COMPLETE VERSION if you could in fact remember scene for scene a movie from 30 years ago?

oldeschool17

is this version you saw in the theaters the same ones that are on the boots previous to when the IVL was released?

Anyways, The "kicks" to the nuts (with the ball and chain) are not in the GZ version nor the accompanying dialog referring to the man's extremities. These are in the IVL disc. Also the freeze editing is cut from the GZ (or tv) version.

The shots of Fu kicking the man twice (once in the face and again in the shoulder) as well as the slaps are present in both versions.

Another cut in the GZ version is the villain dying slowly immediately after he gets stabbed with his chain whip he refuses to let go of. This is right after Fu finishes off the guy he pops in the crotch.

Also cut from the GZ version but present in the IVL disc is a fairly long shot of Ku Feng grabbing a bloodied up little boy and pulling his head back by the hair and threatening him with a whip.

The missing footage from the IVL occurs at approximately 1:21:06 and ends at approximately 1:22:04.

In the IVL the cut occurs when Fu kicks at the staircase Ku Feng is standing on. His foot goes through the stairs and Ku flips off the stairs. The cut happens here. The next shot is Ku Feng on his feet pushing his pigtail away as Fu and Ti prepare to attack him again. It's not noticeable to somebody who hasn't seen the movie a lot but it could be either the footage was damaged (as evidenced to the DD 36 CHAMBERS disc which has extra frames not in the IVL which do not look as good as the feature) or this bit of action wasn't in the HK theatrical release in the first place.

ironfistedmonk

I think it is pretty noticeable, one minute they are fighting untold henchmen, the next minute they are all lying dead on the floor! A blatant cut, I dont care how damaged the print is the cut is more jarring than have damaged footage in there IMO. Thats if you believe the damaged print story which I find dubious, funny how the fight scenes are damaged.

oldeschool17

Question is, lets just say that the print was not damaged. Why the cut at such a critical moment? Shit like that makes no sense.

I think it is pretty noticeable, one minute they are fighting untold henchmen, the next minute they are all lying dead on the floor! A blatant cut, I dont care how damaged the print is the cut is more jarring than have damaged footage in there IMO. Thats if you believe the damaged print story which I find dubious, funny how the fight scenes are damaged.

Those guys were already lying on the floor save for four guys. Ti and Fu were attacking Ku Feng alone at that point. I watched this thing last night, both of them.

Argh until magic posted the youtube clip (thanks by the way :D), I never fully understood just how much was missing from the celestial print. Obviously I noticed it was awkwardly cut, but damn there's so much action missing! Insanity.

Does anyone know who owns the region 1 rights to this?

Question is, lets just say that the print was not damaged. Why the cut at such a critical moment? Shit like that makes no sense.

Negligence and or laziness would be my guess.

oldeschool17
Argh until magic posted the youtube clip (thanks by the way :D), I never fully understood just how much was missing from the celestial print. Obviously I noticed it was awkwardly cut, but damn there's so much action missing! Insanity.

Does anyone know who owns the region 1 rights to this?

Negligence and or laziness would be my guess.

Dragon Dynasty owns the rights to this for a region 1 release. Expect it to be released in 2050 by the Weinstein's grandkids

I also was very disappointed with the missing scene at the end of the movie, this to me was one of the Best SB movies made and to have a missing scenes kinda ruined it for me even though it's only for a couple of seconds you know its missing and that really bothered me.

gravedigger666
Those guys were already lying on the floor save for four guys. Ti and Fu were attacking Ku Feng alone at that point. I watched this thing last night, both of them.

I have to verify it when back at home but think there were more of those henchmen.sth like 8:confused:

OpiumKungFuCracker

Easily one of the most action packed Shaw brothers movie I've seen in quite sometime. From beginning to end, non stop weaponry action with people getting killed with 3 section staff and Fu Sheng's side knife blade looking thing that slices and dices like vegetables. Like most martial arts film of that era, there's a teahouse fight and it rocks!.

"Who taught you to have FEELINGS?!"

One of my favorite dub one-liners. Horse tranquilizers couldn't have stopped me from laughing when I first heard it.

OpiumKungFuCracker
"Who taught you to have FEELINGS?!"

One of my favorite dub one-liners. Horse tranquilizers couldn't have stopped me from laughing when I first heard it.

I have the IVL Celestial version. LOL, I need to find a dubbed version somewhere, that does sound like a riot. Also if I can add, towards the end when he meets the Master of the Iron Eagle Gang, the fights get kinda repetitive up until that twist at the end which made the fights that much more centric to the whole plot of the movie.