The Commitment (2013)

Gwai LO

I feel like this movie already had a thread but i couldn't find it. has anyone seen this movie, and if so how is the action/fighting?

VZZsAoBl9b4

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One Armed Boxer

I haven't seen this one, but a quick look at the plot and it's easy to see that the movie would only have got green lit after the success of 'Secretly, Greatly', last years commercially successful blockbuster which cast 3 handsome young stars as North Korean teenagers sent to infiltrate South Korea.

Here we have Choi Seung-hyeon (if he doesn't sound familiar, it's because he usually goes under his stage name T.O.P. from the hugely popular K-pop boyband 'Big Bang') as a North Korean teenager sent to South Korea to make up for his fathers failed mission.

Seung-hyeon has made the transition into action roles before, most notably in ensemble pieces like '71 - Into the Fire', and the excellent TV drama 'IRIS', however I'm not sure I'd trust him to carry a whole movie by himself, especially under a first time director like Park Hong-soo.

Still, if anyone checks this out I'd definitely be curious to hear their thoughts.

I think the producers were hoping TOP being a member of a popular Korean boy band would help ticket sales. It was #1 briefly and didn't stay on top for long. Also, they didn't sell as many tickets as they expected/wanted. Read 1 review which gave it a so so rating.

The movie wasn't half bad. The story was a bit different. It was a interesting take on the spies from North Korea genre. The fight scenes were good. They like the Bourne movies. And like the Bourne movies the shakey camera made it so that I couldn't see certain things well. I actually rewound a few times. Top did a pretty good job acting. It certainly looks he keeps on improving. I don't about range but he has the tough guy thing down. The only thing I can ding him on is lack of North Korean accent. They speak in a specific tone/dialect and use terms in the Korean language from the 1940s. Aside from a couple other minor questionable movie story elements. It was a decent watch.

I just finished watching this movie, I thought it was really good, another great job by the Korean film makers.

Just finished the movie also.. I really enjoyed it. That fight in the boxing gym was brutal.. That kick to the head I must have rewound 5 times

Archived