Helios (2015) - New movie from the directors of 'Cold War'

mark187

-LR2SMA72E0

Cold War directors Longman Leung and Sunny Luk reunite for upcoming HK thriller "Helios," with a cast including Nick Cheung, Chang Chen, Janice Man, Jacky Cheung, Shawn Yue, Wang Xueqi and a couple of South Korean actors. due for release 3rd quarter of this year in HK! first trailer has been out now since December

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One Armed Boxer

The Korean actors in this one are Ji Jin-hee, from the likes of 'H' (2002) and 'Soo' (2006), Super Junior K-pop band member Choi Si-won, who previously acted in the Andy Lau movie 'A Battle of Wits', and newcomer Yoon Jin-yi.

The Director's cut is listed as 112 minutes while the HK version is listed as 119 minutes. hmmm

Anyway, I like this movie and will be picking it up soon from CT.

One Armed Boxer

The Director's cut is listed as 112 minutes while the HK version is listed as 119 minutes. hmmm

It could definitely benefit from some trimming, particularly the Mainland pandering that it sometimes meandered into, and some of the lengthier dialogue exchanges that seemed to do nothing to propel the plot forward.  I'd definitely be interested to see what's been cut, and what, if anything, has been added.

Quickie Review

PROS
The cast give fine, if unimpressive performances (except for Janice Man, who stands out as an assassin, when she doesn't talk)
The action scenes are mostly well-done (except one where there are absolutely no onlookers or bystanders in sight)

CONS
The film is fatally inconclusive (it certainly pissed me off)
Illogical moments and plot holes  aplenty (would you let a criminal you just captured drive alone with the nuclear device, as bait?)
None of the characters are developed enough for me to care (a character dies, yet it's only slightly stirring because of the actor, not the character)
Some unintentionally funny moments (like the actors skill in the English language i.e "misformed")

China pandering

SCORE: 4/10 (Another disappointment in the HK film industry. You're losing it, people.)

Archived