Shout Factory's Martial Arts Movie Marathon DVD

muppetdanny

From Shout Factory:

Before Jet Li became well-known for the role of Wong Fei Hung, the great Kwan Tak Hing played the role in hundreds of films. The Skyhawk finds Wong Fei Hung fighting the local crime boss. Also starring Sammo Hung, Carter Wong (Big Trouble In Little China) and Nora Miao (Fist Of Fury).

A roaming fighter gets into the ring to win a boxing tournament to thwart an evil warlord in The Manchu Boxer, starring Anthony Lau Wing (The Big Boss), Sammo Hung and Wilson Tong Wai Shing (Lady Whirlwind).

Two fighters must come together to fight a pair of evil brothers in The Dragon Tamers. Starring Carter Wong, James Tien (The Big Boss) and Ji Han Jae (Hapkido), The Dragon Tamers is director John Woo’s (Hard Boiled, The Killer) second film.

A detective must thwart an evil organization is running an international prostituion ring in The Association, starring Byong Yu, Tien Nei (The Young Dragons), Angela Mao Ying (Hapkido) and Carter Wong.

MAMMCover72dpi.jpg

Source: http://www.shoutfactory.com/product/martial-arts-movie-marathon-4-film-feature

Are these films any good (apart from Skyhawk)?:ooh:

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MANCHU BOXER HK DVD is censored for Violence (the old US Version is uncensored, but seems to be missing other footage). what will Shout release...?

Fortune Star did not release The Dragon Tamers or The Association with English subs, so if they don't bollox the release it'll be an overall win. A lot depends on what kind of materials they get from Fortune Star though.

Killer Meteor

The Association was very, very boring. There isn't even an end fight, just a long scene where the villians dither about waiting for the cops to get them.

I hope these aren't all crammed on one disc like some other SF 4-film sets.

Killer Meteor
Even if they don't include english dub, hopefully they'll tighten up the subtitled tracks. The ones on the Fortune Star are pretty bad.

I remember on Lady Whirlwind, the subs on the Joy Sales disc have Pai Ying telling Chang Yi to "go homo"

what set is this? i cant find it on amazon? Also any idea if Dragon Tamers is subbed or dubbed?

Shout is also releasing a double feature disc with "Lady Whirlwind" and "Hapkido" in the same packing and those films will have English and Mandarin (with Eng subs.) tracks. I would imagine this 4 film pack will be the same.

The Manchu Boxer has decent action with choreography by Sammo and a theme of non-violence. It's as good as The Skyhawk; I liked it.

Ah, yes, The Skyhawk. The movie where Wong Fei Hung wouldn't open up the can of whup-ass until the stack of bodies was taller than he was.

Chemical Lemon

I accidentally picked up the Association when Joysales released it, not realizing it didn't have english subs. From what I could tell it seemed pretty boring, not a lot of action. There is one doozy of a scene that didn't require english subtitles though. It's like a naked satanic cult dance number. I'm not sure if those 5 minutes would be worth a buy, but I'm picking this set up anyway. I'm glad Shout Factory are releasing some of the less popular GH films, the Bruce Lee and crappy chan movies have been released time and time again. I'm absolutely thrilled about Hapkido, that's one I didn't pick up when it was available.

Chemical Lemon

So..... first off, NSFW. But second, as I was digging through this movie on YouTube to find this clip, the rest of it actually seems a lot more interesting than I remembered. I'm actually kind of looking forward to it now.

GurPmD06oww#t=373

I just hope the picture quality is good on these. Shout Factory releases are a mixed bag. Theyre not all digitally remastered. I got one of their Spaghetti Western collections and some of the stuff was VHS quality.

Chinatown Kid

I remember seeing The Association a long time ago and thinking it was pretty sleazy for a Kung fu movie, really exploitive. TKD stylist Byong Yu looked right good in the fight scenes he was in, especially his kicks, but they were few and far between. I believe he was an active Tournament competitor back in the early seventies along with Norris, Lewis , and Kelly.

Morgoth Bauglir

I thought this was a decent set. The Association is the only movie that really sticks out as a dud. If they focused as much on the story and kung fu as they did boobs, it could have been decent. The English dub on The Skyhawk is kind of bad but other than that I didn't notice any audio/video issues. I'm surprised to say that Manchu Boxer is my favorite of the 4. I saw this many years ago as Bonecrushers and didn't think much of it.

Archived