Bruce Lee in Mazda car commercial?

reason108

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw that car commercial the other night. I also saw some commercial (don't remember what it was for) but it had 2 guys sitting watching kung fu. When I looked closer I realized they were watching Invincible Shaolin. Maybe there's a new interest in old school kung fu.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

_Doih6JjEFQ

Here is the extended version featuring other innovators of society.

The funny thing is: Bruce Lee is kicking Japanese.

Maybe from Fist of Fury or The Chinese Connection not sure which one.

The car is company is Mazda.

Funny they would have Bruce fight against there own people.

My guess is the Bruce Lee's family got big $$$$$ BUCKS for using his image.

AR-311189932.jpg%26MaxW%3D622%26cci_ts%3D20131115173432

hqdefault.jpg

Note: No doubt these commercials may bring more people to study the life of 'ONE' legend by the name of Bruce Lee!

GD Y-Y

Secret Executioner

Figured you thought of Fists Of Fury AKA The Big Boss - the hesitation would have made sense, though there aren't Japs nor nunchucks in this one. Have to admit though those titles are confusing.

Concerning the influence of these commercials on people, I doubt they'll go and try to learn more on Bruce. People will probably go "hey, that's Bruce Lee" cause he's a household name, but I can't picture anyone doing researches on a celebrity seen in a commercial.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Least we forget this gem with Bruce's image.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRTtR5sSkEI8CRkAZkvtsFbkI714oqXmXKqbF3p3rpoj64fe5h_

And:

nokia-game-of-death-medium-76181.jpg

And this disgusting ad>

the-great-wall-chinese-restaurant-bruce-lee-original-41302.jpg

Here we go sing along:

RobertLeeSingsFront.jpg

Another one:

bruce-lee-n96.jpg

So on and so on it goes.

Bruce-Lee-Quote-Those-Who-are-Unaware.jpg

GD Y-Y

Secret Executioner
The funny thing is: Bruce Lee is kicking Japanese.

Maybe from Fist of Fury or The Chinese Connection not sure which one.

The car is company is Mazda.

Funny they would have Bruce fight against there own people.

I believe Jackie Chan has been fighting Japanese in some of his movies, right ? That still didn't keep him from having a deal with Mitsubishi, another Japanese car maker - there was even a special version of their Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX endorsed by Jackie (made in 2005, only 50 units produced):

Mitsu_Evo9_Chan_J1.jpg

Mitsu_Evo9_Chan_J2.jpg

Mitsu_Evo9_Chan_8.jpg

Mitsu_Evo9_Chan_M3.jpg

Mitsu_Evo9_Chan_6.jpg

I know, he's alive and did this on his own so nobody exploited his name and image - but still.

NoKUNGFUforYU

Here is probably how Linda and her daughter feel. Bruce's philandering is legendary and well documented. He was probably a high maintenance guy. Having to be the cheated on wife until the end of her days is pretty tough, especially as the next guy she married tried to exploit their relationship in a nasty, tell all book. He is her annuity. Considering he was found dead in the apartment of another woman, I just can't blame her. It was well known, even in 1973 that he was not an easy guy to get along with. He was what we would call a narcissist now. How many fucking photos did the guy have taken of himself, and how many starlets did he bang while his wife was at home taking care of two young kids? I'm no saint, but this guy was not even discreet, and I understand he would tell his wife how hot he thought an actress was. Must women I know don't want to hear that shit.

Now, he's still one of my favorite KF movie stars, but like other a-holes- Clint Eastwood, Arnold, etc- I feel we need to see him as an entertainer, and someone that got people to train in an alive manner. But that was going to happen with or without him- i.e. BJJ owes nothing to Bruce Lee. Nothing. Muay Thai, the same. His main effect was to get people to think critically about Kung Fu, Tae Kwon Do and Karate.

If Bruce had lived, I wonder if he would have done these kinds of ads? Linda does have to support the family, I know. Perhaps they see it as promoting Bruce`s name, but, I think it also cheapens it. But, it would be hard to say no to millions of dollars just thrown at you. :tongue:

NoKungFuForYou just won today's internet.

Bruce is nothing more than a meal ticket to Linda and Shannon.

NoKUNGFUforYU

Considering how Jackie and Sammo treat their wives and offspring, think she lucked out big time. I am sure if he lived he would be on his 3rd or 4th wife now, with plenty of dysfunctional relationships. AS, as far as influecing modern martial arts, the reality is, as much as I dislike them, the Gracies have had a greater impact. How many jkd guys are mma champions? Like it or not, mma has changed the landscape and that was brought on by gracies who were doing it in the 50s and 60s in Brazil. I studied with one of them. Very low class, but the art is effective. Not a fan, but it's the truth.

(Bizarre coincidence - just been talking to a guy who met at least one of the Gracies!)

My heart sinks a little every time I see something new with Bruce attached to it.

Putting the name of someone who isn't here anymore onto a product has always felt off to me, even when it's meant with the utmost respect.

The sad truth is, with every bullshit endorsement from beyond the grave that is signed off by his heirs, Bruce's legacy is watered down just that little bit.

NoKUNGFUforYU

Sure it is crass and commercial, but you may want to look into how some of the KF stars families are treated. As far as legacy goes, he's dead, so he doesn't care. All the two lesson JKD "instructors" that have come out of the woodwork have done all they could to water down his legacy. Inosantos has taken JKD and made it into a platform to promote Filipino martial arts and culture. Ugh. Anyone that spent a few days training with him seems to call themselves a master, or guro or whatever.

Should Linda and Shannon live in a hovel with a shrine to Bruce? Maybe then can line it with pictures of all his mistresses? I get it, it's a man's world and all, but I think if Bruce could speak he would say "make all you can girls, it ain't doing me any good!"

Also, martial arts wise, Bruce's movies promote a lot that is wrong- biting your way out of holds (not as easy as it looks, do some BJJ) which has been tried against the Gracies. Look it up. Fighting huge masses of opponents (when Lee was surrounded by a mass of fans he said that he felt helpless, imagine if they were there to hurt him?) or fighting guys with huge size disparities. A good big man beats a good little man. Sure, the early UFC had a few Gracie victories over big guys, but once people got the idea, that ended really fast. Do you think a little shrimp could fight a guy Jaber's size?

I would think he would feel lucky that people remember him and he commands a price still for making 4 corny action movies. American kids hardly know who John Wayne is, but they know Bruce.

Phantom Dreamer

For some reason the Lipton Brisk Iced Tea ad didn't bother me. The Johnny Walker ad, while interesting to look at, even though I think Bruce looks like he's in his mid to late forties in it, crossed the line.

Secret Executioner
So how many people have bought a Mazda because of Bruce Lee's appearance in the commercial?

I haven't cause I find these cars ugly for the most part. But I'd love a Mitsubishi because of the Lancer Evo VIII and Evo IX Jackie Chan Editions, although I have actually wanted a Lancer Evo since I got into motor sport (I've always preferred the Mitsubishi Lancer Evo over the Subaru Impreza, though the later seems more popular) - there's only the little issue that I don't have a driving licence haha. :tongue:

Phantom Dreamer

Wow, this was already 5 years ago. 

Packing a Punch: Bruce Lee and the 2014 Mazda3

Thursday, 20 February, 2014

Bruce Lee and the all-new 2014 Mazda3 make for a rather strange combination, but stick with us for a second here.

Both the iconic martial arts master and the 2014 Mazda3 turned conventional wisdom on its head to prove that might is light and bigger doesn't mean stronger.

That's why the 2014 Mazda3 was built with SKYACTIV Technology® that makes the compact sedan both lighter and stronger.

https://www.johnhine.com/blog/2014/february/20/packing-a-punch-bruce-lee-and-the-2014-mazda3.htm

Archived