Funniest kung fu comedy film?

kungfumaster

Has anyone seen "The Incredible Kung Fu Master" (1979) starring Sammo Hung and Stephen Tung?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Incredible_Kung_Fu_Master

It has to be one of the most hilarious flicks I have ever seen along with some pretty decent fight scenes as well. Sammo Hung plays the role of a teacher (who is a bit hefty and likes to eat a lot) and helps out another struggling kung fu novice (Stephen Tung) by teaching him kung fu - as he continually gets picked on and beaten up by another couple of goofy looking goons.

The scenes containing the teaching lessons (given by Sammo Hung) is some of the funniest stuff you will ever see in a kung fu film. How about when the teacher greases/oils up the mat so that his student has to somehow find a way to walk and balance himself just to get to the dinner table - and, all the remaining food has been eaten!

Any other thoughts or reviews on this movie?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is that the film with the staff that keeps getting shorter or can be taken apart? If so, I recall enjoying it.

It didn't stick in my mind as being particularly funny but I haven't seen it in quite some time so don't recall it that well.

This is an interesting thread though.

I, personally, enjoy the comedy in "The Young Master." I'm not sure exactly why but I feel the film plays out as a proper comedy, just with kung fu elements to it.

The outhouse scene will alway, always make me laugh. I think that's a genuine piece of comedy that hits the spot.

For me comedy is always an obstacle. Usually an easy obstacle to get past, but it's pretty rare that I think the humor is on point.

The only two movies where I remember actually laughing at the jokes, rather than at their expense: Knockabout & Mr. Vampire

New review:

I am glad I found this forum as it has opened my eyes to watch yet another outstanding movie starring Sammo Hung that has him playing an entirely different role:

Eight Taels of Gold (1989)

This one is all about family, love, and, getting married - as I found the end to be heart breaking - if you happen to be in Sammo's shoes, that is. It shows us another side of Sammo we don't ordinarily see and the background music was also very good along with the beautiful scenery and camera work. It appears to have been a well crafted film.

I give it a definite thumbs up!

Chinatown Kid

Zenkwondo Strikes in Paris has to be one of the most unintentionally hillarious flicks ever. Supposedly based on real events in john Liu's life, it so absolutely ridiculous that it'll have you rolling made all the more so because they play it all straight.

ShaOW!linDude

Yeah, I gotta say I think Sammo's films are usually funnier than most, especially Enter the Fat Dragon. Of course now Chinatown Kid makes me want to see Zenkwondo Strikes in Paris.

Old school:

Miracle Fighters or Drunken Master or Drunken Master 2

Return to the 36th Chamber is pretty good

New:

Shaolin Soccer or Kung Fu Hustle

I forgot about Return to 36th Chamber. Great Film. Comedy not overdone.

Drunken Master 2. With the exception of the final scene which was brutal in my eyes. This was extremely enjoyable thanks to Anita Mui.

Morgoth Bauglir

Oh yeah return to the 36th chamber definitely one of the best comedies.

I gotta throw secret rivals 3 into the mix with chin lung showing his comedy genius. Maybe it's just the dubbing but I can't stop laughing when he's on screen.

I think dance of the drunken mantis is pretty good. I laughed my ass off at "banker" scene, it was even funnier with dub...

I need to get watchable version of secret rivals 3, vengeance dvd is not that...

Morgoth Bauglir

I have the brother DVD of secret rivals 3 from videoasia. I thought it was decent quality but I have low standards.

I thought it was decent quality but I have low standards.

Me too, I am far from techjunkie. But some limit there is, I do not like to watch movie which looks sth like so-so vhs copy.

So I am looking for better print before premiere secret rivals 3.

Morgoth Bauglir

Yeah so so VHS quality is correct. When I get a videoasia DVD and it's actually watchable I'm pretty happy. And party widescreen to boot:tongue:

I think 5 superfighters is one of better kungfu comedies too. I am not huge fan of genre but methinks most humour were good, not totally overdone giggling or grinning.

Of course on plusside fights which were incredible, I particularly love drunken sword in the end.

Goose Boxer always cracked me up.

Ahh, white crane killer and sex style kungfu. I have not seen that since days of dutch vhs.

Archived