Chor Yuen / Gu Long movies

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

ShawAngela
6 hours ago, thekfc said:

I think it was Ling Yun who wanted to be the best/find out if he was the best.

Yes, that's exactly what I remembered, thanks.

• Like 2

Eastern Evil
On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 11:03 PM, massa_yoda said:

I’m glad this thread has come back.  I’m very interested in watching all these films in the recommended order by panku now.

I'll tell you what, there are some great non Shaw movies as well , this guy was prolific! Love them all.

Killer Meteors....some Meng Fei movies. Chung Wah was in a bunch of great Gu Long  movies....Lung Fei....Pai Ying

Tien Peng and Wang Kuan-hsiung - all made great Gu Long movies!

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Eastern Evil said:

I'll tell you what, there are some great non Shaw movies as well , this guy was prolific! Love them all.

Killer Meteors....some Meng Fei movies. Chung Wah was in a bunch of great Gu Long  movies....Lung Fei....Pai Ying

Tien Peng and Wang Kuan-hsiung - all made great Gu Long movies!

A Sword Named Revenge (1981) is one of my favorite non-Shaws Gu Long films. Also Master and the Kid, Bruce Tuan's Seven Promises, Last Hero in China, A Brotherhood of Heroes, Return of the Deadly Blade, Witty Hand, Witty Sword... to name a few.

• Like 7

Tex Killer
2 hours ago, panku said:

A Sword Named Revenge (1981)

Interesting. I haven`t seen that for years, in fact whole rarescope Advantage collection been gathering dust long time..Should try to revisit it before end of this decade...

• Like 3

AlexanderFu
On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 1:45 AM, panku said:

A Sword Named Revenge (1981) is one of my favorite non-Shaws Gu Long films. Also Master and the Kid, Bruce Tuan's Seven Promises, Last Hero in China, A Brotherhood of Heroes, Return of the Deadly Blade, Witty Hand, Witty Sword... to name a few.

ye4ah, those are all fantastic. Killer Meteors, Clutch of Power, The Sword of justice, Dream Sword, The Lost Swordship, Love and Sword,,,,The Chivalry, the Gunmen & the killer, man, I can go on and on! We are So lucky to have all these movies still!

• Like 7

I don't know of any sequel to Magic Blade, but I know the character of Fu Hung Hsieh shows up as a Ti Lung cameo in Death Duel (1977).

• Like 3

The sequel to Magic blade is Pursuit of vengeance, and yes, Fu Hung Hsueh also appears in Death duel.

It's the same for the ATV series : Legend of Fu Hung Suet and The Moon sabre are related, but I don' t know if there is a specific order to watch them, and maybe they are even related to other series talking about Fu Hung Hsueh too...

• Like 6

On 3/19/2008 at 10:40 PM, The Dragon said:

Shaolin Temple and 5 Shaolin Masters have the feel of connected films. The characters in 5SM are not the same 5 who fled the burning temple in ST.

Shaolin Avengers tells the story of the heroes' lives before Shaolin Temple, during the brief period that Fu Sheng and Chi Kuan Chun escape from the temple, and after the events of ST. The three films together form a complete narrative.

• Like 3

Iron_Leopard

The Magic Blade = A Fistfull of Dollars

Pursuit of Vengeance = For a Few Dollars more

Both sequels were actual prequels if I'm not mistaken. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Iron_Leopard said:

The Magic Blade = A Fistfull of Dollars

Pursuit of Vengeance = For a Few Dollars more

Both sequels were actual prequels if I'm not mistaken. 

Guess we now need the equivalent to "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly." Come to think of it, this might be the first film since Blondie gets his famous poncho in it.....???

Edited by morpheus
  • Like 4

Iron_Leopard
2 hours ago, morpheus said:

Guess we now need the equivalent to "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly." Come to think of it, this might be the first film since Blondie gets his famous poncho in it.....???

Yeah I seem to recall reading that "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" is the first movie in sequential order.

• Like 3

Secret Executioner
On 6/14/2020 at 10:27 PM, morpheus said:

On 6/15/2020 at 1:07 AM, Iron_Leopard said:

Yeah I seem to recall reading that "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" is the first movie in sequential order.

Good to know I'm not the only one who noticed that. Blondie getting his poncho only in the final act of this film has always bugged me.

• Like 2

On 6/12/2020 at 3:13 PM, ShawAngela said:

The sequel to Magic blade is Pursuit of vengeance, and yes, Fu Hung Hsueh also appears in Death duel.

It's the same for the ATV series : Legend of Fu Hung Suet and The Moon sabre are related, but I don' t know if there is a specific order to watch them, and maybe they are even related to other series talking about Fu Hung Hsueh too...

If we're sticking to the ATV adaptations of the Gu Long novels, here is the chronological timeline of the storylines:

• The Legend of Fu Hung Suet 1989 (based on Bordertown Wanderer).
  • Condor in September 1986 (based on Eagle Soaring in Ninth Month).
  • The Moon Sabre 1984 (based on Horizon Bright Moon Saber).

Why ATV adapted the novels out of order in the same decade if they were going to focus on the characters of Ye Kai and Fu Hong Xue goes beyond me.

Random trivia:

• Lo Lieh was in both Pursuit of Vengeance and The Legend of Fu Hung Suet as different characters.
  • Law Lok Lam also appeared in both The Legend of Fu Hung Suet and The Moon Sabre as different characters. 
  • TVB also made their own adaptation in 1989 as The Black Sabre and there's an obscure Taiwanese adaptation in the same year. Not sure if Gu Long's estate was selling the rights for TV adaptation without exclusivity, as it's rare (if not impossible) to see ATV & TVB adapt the same novel in the same year. The closest I could think of was when Xiao Ao Jiang Hu (The Smiling Proud Wanderer) was adapted for TV in the year 2000 by Singaporean and Taiwanese studios.  :wondering
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, wuxiaman said:

TVB also made their own adaptation in 1989 as The Black Sabre and there's an obscure Taiwanese adaptation in the same year. Not sure if Gu Long's estate was selling the rights for TV adaptation without exclusivity, as it's rare (if not impossible) to see ATV & TVB adapt the same novel in the same year. The closest I could think of was when Xiao Ao Jiang Hu (The Smiling Proud Wanderer) was adapted for TV in the year 2000 by Singaporean and Taiwanese studios.  :wondering

I'm close to get The black sabre...

Chu Liu Xiang was also adapted by ATV and TVB, but ATV had to change it to "It takes a thief"...

• Like 4

6 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

I'm close to get The black sabre...

Chu Liu Xiang was also adapted by ATV and TVB, but ATV had to change it to "It takes a thief"...

That's right! Because of the title (and name) changes, many forget that ATV did adapt Chu Liu Xiang. 

• Like 3

On 1/8/2021 at 6:34 AM, wuxiaman said:

If we're sticking to the ATV adaptations of the Gu Long novels, here is the chronological timeline of the storylines:

• The Legend of Fu Hung Suet 1989 (based on Bordertown Wanderer).
  • Condor in September 1986 (based on Eagle Soaring in Ninth Month).
  • The Moon Sabre 1984 (based on Horizon Bright Moon Saber).

Why ATV adapted the novels out of order in the same decade if they were going to focus on the characters of Ye Kai and Fu Hong Xue goes beyond me.

Random trivia:

• Lo Lieh was in both Pursuit of Vengeance and The Legend of Fu Hung Suet as different characters.
  • Law Lok Lam also appeared in both The Legend of Fu Hung Suet and The Moon Sabre as different characters. 
  • TVB also made their own adaptation in 1989 as The Black Sabre and there's an obscure Taiwanese adaptation in the same year. Not sure if Gu Long's estate was selling the rights for TV adaptation without exclusivity, as it's rare (if not impossible) to see ATV & TVB adapt the same novel in the same year. The closest I could think of was when Xiao Ao Jiang Hu (The Smiling Proud Wanderer) was adapted for TV in the year 2000 by Singaporean and Taiwanese studios.  :wondering

I'm not sure that it's related to Chu Yuan or Gu Long, but TVB and ATV made another similar series : One sword for TVB and Spirit of the sword for ATV.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

I'm not sure that it's related to Chu Yuan or Gu Long, but TVB and ATV made another similar series : One sword for TVB and Spirit of the sword for ATV.

Spirit of the Sword is also a Gu Long novel, while One Sword took elements from multiple novels and threw it into one. You can disregard any connection with director Chu Yuan :)

• Like 2