Chor Yuen / Gu Long movies

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

NoKUNGFUforYU

A little Chor Yuan goes a long way in my experience. If I watch too many in a row, say over a week or two, I just zone out. I imagine if I read the novels they would connect for me a lot more, like kids and Harry Potter, etc. Also, some of the stuff seems almost metaphysical and very Chinese, so I am sure I am missing a lot. Same with later Chang Chen venom's movies, for me. But there are some great ones, don't get me wrong!

• Like 1

Thanks for the list and the novels which they originate from, it's very interesting. That's just too bad that the books can't be found or, if they are, that they aren't translated...

• Like 1

Sentimental Swordsman and Return of... are based on the same novel, but in the novel they're not prequel and sequel like the movies, but one story.
Thanks. That's what I always thought, but I've never been able to get a confirmation.

Also a correction on Murder Plot: despite its Chinese title, it's actually based off

The Informal History of the Martial Arts Circle.

• Like 1

It's also worth mentioning that Shaws made 2 films in 1971 based on Gu Long novels, which were directed few years later by Chor Yuen. They are The Jade Faced Assassin (CY: Proud Twins) and Swordsman at Large (CY: Swordsman and Enchantress). Both are pretty good, especially TJFA, it's much easier to understand the story which is a bit confusing in Chor Yuen's version. It's also funny that they decided to cast Lily Ho as the main (male) hero, the same that Fu Sheng plays in Proud Twins.

• Like 1

You can find 6 or 7 novels from the list translated on http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/forumdisplay.php/29-Wuxia-Translations plus a few more still in progress. Gu Long novels are a bit different than standard action-adventure wuxia, they're more like noir wuxias with some pulp elements. I enjoyed most of them, especially the Lu XiaoFeng series, which in my opinion is the best place to start.

• Like 1

No one has posted in the Shaw forum since the turn of the month, that is just crazy, so I'll bump this thread for my favorite director.

Anyone seen the blu ray of 'The Sentimental Swordsman' yet?

• Like 1

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Seen them All except Proud Twins.

How is Proud Twins?

Here is a list of all the Chor Yuen / Gu Long adaptations by release date:

1976 03 20 - Killer Clans

1976 07 10 - Magic Blade

1977 03 05 - Clans of Intrigue

1977 05 07 - Jade Tiger

1977 07 07 - Death Duel

1977 10 14 - Sentimental Swordsman

1977 12 22 - Pursuit of Vengeance

1978 02 19 - Clan of Amazons

1978 07 08 - Legend of The Bat

1978 11 08 - Swordsman And Enchantress

1979 01 25 - Full Moon Scimitar

1979 05 30 - Murder Plot

1979 07 19 - Proud Twins

1980 07 24 - Heroes Shed No Tears

1981 01 31 - Return of The Sentimental Swordsman

1981 10 22 - Duel of The Century

1982 05 13 - Perils of The Sentimental Swordsman

1982 06 17 - Spirit of The Sword

GD Y-Y

• Like 1

Secret Executioner
Seen them All except Proud Twins.

How is Proud Twins?

Here is a list of all the Chor Yuen / Gu Long adaptations by release date:

1976 03 20 - Killer Clans

1976 07 10 - Magic Blade

1977 03 05 - Clans of Intrigue

1977 05 07 - Jade Tiger

1977 07 07 - Death Duel

1977 10 14 - Sentimental Swordsman

1977 12 22 - Pursuit of Vengeance

1978 02 19 - Clan of Amazons

1978 07 08 - Legend of The Bat

1978 11 08 - Swordsman And Enchantress

1979 01 25 - Full Moon Scimitar

1979 05 30 - Murder Plot

1979 07 19 - Proud Twins

1980 07 24 - Heroes Shed No Tears

1981 01 31 - Return of The Sentimental Swordsman

1981 10 22 - Duel of The Century

1982 05 13 - Perils of The Sentimental Swordsman

1982 06 17 - Spirit of The Sword

GD Y-Y

Though I didn't enjoy Legend Of The Bat that much (it was still good though), at least I know what I'll be getting into if I buy any of those. Some of these titles ring a bell, but it must be because they're heavily discussed around here. :tongue:

• Like 1

The Magic Blade is probably the best entry point from a Fu perspective: it's presented essentially as a series of fight-tableaux, and gives Tong Gai an early pass at the more "realistic" weapon extravaganzas that were much more Sun Chung's domain.

If you want to dive into the deep end, there is Killer Clans, a puzzle-box thriller which owes as much to Mario Puzo and Louis Feuillade as to anything previously from the Shaw lot. Hell of a lot of fun, and even manages some surprisingly poignant points about the toll of being a martial-hero. But you must know your Shaw character actors if you don't want to be lost...

As for his conversational detective films, Clans of Intrigue is ultimately more consistent than the sequel. The first half manages that nocturnal poetic atmosphere that Chor did so well, without descending into kitsch. That's before turning into an absolutely bonkers psychodrama, which is just screaming out for a Lacanian analysis (someone get this film to Zizek). With that said, I sense there's a lot of poetry and irony in the long monologues being lost in the subtitles.

I think these three are the perfect introduction, each taking a slightly different tact with the genre, while showing all the commonalities of style that make Chor a true auteur.

• Like 1

An attempt at a guide to characters that appear in more than one of Chor Yuen's Gu Long film adaptations:

Li Xun Huan (Ti Lung) / Lin Shi Yin (Candice Yu On On, Ching Li) / Lin Xian Er (Ching Li, Choh Seung Wan)
The Sentimental Swordsman
Return of the Sentimental Swordsman

Ah Fei (Derek Yee)
Pursuit of Vengeance (10-20 years after events in Sentimental Swordsman series) thanks @Chu Liu Hsiang

Fu Hung Hsueh (Ti Lung)
Pursuit of Vengeance
Magic Blade
Death Duel

Han Tang (Lo Lieh)
Death Duel
Killer Clans

Third Master (Derek Yee, Yueh Hua)
Death Duel
Full Moon Scimitar (Takes place 30 years later)

Chu Liu Hsiang (Ti Lung)
Clans of Intrigue    
Legend of the Bat
Perils of the Sentimental Swordsman (Takes place 2 years later)

Lu Xiao Feng (Lau Wing) / Hua Manlou (Yueh Hua, Sun Chien) / Sikong Zhaixing (Ngaai Fei, Lung Tin Sang)
Clan of Amazons
Duel of the Century

Any others?

Edited by panku
  • Like 9

Chu Liu Hsiang

Some insights from PURSUIT OF VENGEANCE:

Fu Hung Hsueh's father (Bai Tian Yu) was a good friend of the Sentimental Swordsman Li Xun Huan. Bai Tian Yu was killed 20 years prior to the events of POV.
Ah Fei (Derek Yee) from the Sentimental Swordsman movies has a cameo in POV and says he has not killed anyone for 10 years.  
Ye Kai (Liu Yung/ Lau Wing) is a pupil of the Sentimental Swordsman Li Xun Huan.

Edited by Chu Liu Hsiang
typo
  • Like 9

4 hours ago, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

Some insights from PURSUIT OF VENGEANCE:

Fu Hung Hsueh's father (Bai Tian Yu) was a good friend of the Sentimental Swordsman Li Xun Huan. Bai Tian Yu was killed 20 years prior to the events of POV.
Ah Fei (Derek Yee) from the Sentimental Swordsman movies has a cameo in POV and says he has not killed anyone for 10 years.  
Ye Kai (Liu Yung/ Lau Wing) is a pupil of the Sentimental Swordsman Li Xun Huan.

Thanks for sharing your findings. I had not picked up on these connections between Pursuit of Vengeance and Sentimental Swordsman, not even the Ah Fei appearance. I am going to have to re-watch that one. So these 7 films sit in roughly this order:

Pursuit of Vengeance
Magic Blade
Death Duel
Killer Clans
Full Moon Scimitar

• Like 9

AlexanderFu

Someone should pick up the legends of these characters and make new movies based on new stories. To me, the actors would be faceless, since I know none of todays actors, but maybe they would find charismatic new people with good costumes and sets, maybe they could revive some of the magic of these stories.

• Like 5

massa_yoda

I’m glad this thread has come back.  I’m very interested in watching all these films in the recommended order by panku now.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, massa_yoda said:

I’m glad this thread has come back.  I’m very interested in watching all these films in the recommended order by panku now.

I just watched Spirit of the Sword and in the beginning the narrator mentions that it takes place before all of these other heroes' stories as well as Proud Twins and Murder Plot, however I do not know if there are any characters in it that show up in any of these other films.

Spirit of the Sword (Takes place before all the following)
Pursuit of Vengeance (Takes place 10-20 years after the events in Sentimental Swordsman)
Magic Blade
Death Duel
Killer Clans
Full Moon Scimitar (Takes place 30 years after Death Duel)

2 other series I do not know where they fall chronologically, but are roughly happening around the same time:

Clans of Intrigue
Legend of the Bat
Perils of the Sentimental Swordsman

Clan of Amazons
Duel of the Century

Have not re-watched these to see if there are connections:
Jade Tiger
Murder Plot (Takes place after Spirit of the Sword)
The Proud Twins (Takes place after Spirit of the Sword)
Swordsman and Enchantress
Heroes Shed No Tears

And these three Gu Long Shaw adaptations done by other directors seem to be stand-alone stories:
Bloody Parrot
Clan Feuds
Ambitious Kung Fu Girl

Other Shaw films based on Gu Long novels:
The Jade Faced Assassin (The Proud Twins)
Swordsman at Large (Swordsman and Enchantress)
To Kill a Jaguar (Republican era story)

• Like 6

AlexanderFu

Murder Plot was in theaters 40 years ago this month as the '70's were coming to an end....only a few more good years would be left for the Shaw Brothers. 

• Like 5

Chu Liu Hsiang

I hope one fine day I will have the occasion to watch one of these wonderful, visually lush movies on the big screen, that would be one modest dream come true.

Edited by Chu Liu Hsiang
  • Like 3

On 1/30/2014 at 7:35 AM, xianzai said:

"Magic Blade is the beginning of a loose trilogy of films directed by Chor Yuen. Ti Lung’s Magic Blade character makes a brief appearance in Death Duel, a 1977 film that features Derek Yee as a master swordsman looking to become the greatest in the land. Death Duel also contains a brief appearance by Lo Lieh, as twisted killer Hang Tan, a role Lo first portrayed in 1976′s Killer Clans, which featured neither Ti Lung nor Derek Yee. So there’s your trilogy. Like I said, loose."

Keep in mind the films are very compressed versions of Gu Long novels, so reading (translations) of them might reveal more connections. http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/forumdisplay.php/29-Wuxia-Translations

Ah, thank you very much!! I have watched "Magic Blade" a couple of times and I always thought that it was some adaptation of a long story.  I like Ti Lung as a performer, but felt the story line for the film to be "rushed" and to an extent disjointed.  This makes sense after reading your post.

• Like 2

ShawAngela
On 5/12/2019 at 12:17 AM, morpheus said:
  On 1/30/2014 at 6:35 PM, xianzai said:

"Magic Blade is the beginning of a loose trilogy of films directed by Chor Yuen. Ti Lung’s Magic Blade character makes a brief appearance in Death Duel, a 1977 film that features Derek Yee as a master swordsman looking to become the greatest in the land. Death Duel also contains a brief appearance by Lo Lieh, as twisted killer Hang Tan, a role Lo first portrayed in 1976′s Killer Clans, which featured neither Ti Lung nor Derek Yee. So there’s your trilogy. Like I said, loose."

Unless I'm mistaken, I wouldn't say that Derek Yee looks to become the greatest swordsman in Death Duel, since on the contrary, he has left the jianghu world in order to avoid fighting, and if he returns to the jianghu, it's only because his lover has been killed as a part of a plot from other fighters in order to make him appear...I watched this movie long ago, but it seems that it's what I remember of it. If I'm mistaken, everybody is welcome to correct me.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ShawAngela said:

Unless I'm mistaken, I wouldn't say that Derek Yee looks to become the greatest swordsman in Death Duel, since on the contrary, he has left the jianghu world in order to avoid fighting, and if he returns to the jianghu, it's only because his lover has been killed as a part of a plot from other fighters in order to make him appear...I watched this movie long ago, but it seems that it's what I remember of it. If I'm mistaken, everybody is welcome to correct me.

@ShawAngela, you are correct. He left the martial world and was wondering around and ended up working at a brothel. If I remember correctly, he only started fighting again to protect the lady/family he was staying with and after he went off to find a cure after Candice was poisoned.

I think it was Ling Yun who wanted to be the best/find out if he was the best.

• Like 3