Chor Yuen / Gu Long movies

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

What is the title to the sequel to Ti Lungs Magic Blade please?

I saw it in the theaters in Boston in the 80's. I thought it was very good.

Has Celestial released this move yet?

Thanks,

GD Y-Y

• Like 1

executioners of shaolin / clan of the white lotus

It's not a true sequel, but it does have certain references of course.

• Like 1

PURSUIT OF VENGEANCE was a prequel to BLADE right? It bored me and I didn't pay much attention to it. Considering the title I assumed it would have been more serious. I'll have to watch it again definitely as I think I was busy doing other things while it was on.

• Like 1

Yes. Funny thing is that Tiger Killer was the last film made.

Order is.....

Tiger Killer

Delightful Forest (these two films focus on Wu Song)

Water Margin

All Men Are Brothers

• Like 1

Even though they are not Pts.I & II, Shaolin Temple and 5 Shaolin Masters have the feel of connected films. The characters in 5SM are not the same 5 who fled the burning temple in ST.

• Like 1

gravedigger666

I watched 1st time ivl version of Shaolin Temple ever few days ago.Dialogue in subtitles is much smoother than in dub.

I do not have vcr anymore but am pretty sure dutch warner tape was cut.I do not remember seeing in end brawl 1st fight fu sheng changes blows against villain inside temple and I think ivl version shows more of monks sitting and chanting at burning temple.

• Like 1

With Well Go's release of Death Duel, I wanted to do some research and read Mark Pollard's review. In the review, he says the film takes place after the events in The Magic Blade (1976) but before Killer Clans (1976). This made me curious, since I am not as familiar with these films: Do they actually have an ongoing continuity with each other? I mean, are they TRUE sequels and prequels? I say "true" because I think of the Shaolin cycle by Chang Cheh and even though people reprise their roles, they don't work as true sequels because people who die in one movie are alive in another, the destruction of the temple is a little different in some of them, and so forth.

Anyways, if these Chor Yuen / Gu Long collaborations truly play off each other and continue as a giant, ongoing epic, could someone give me a list of all these films and the order they take place in? How many are there?

Thanks! :smile:

• Like 1

I found this:

http://www.cityonfire.com/magic-blade-1976/

"Magic Blade is the beginning of a loose trilogy of films directed by Chor Yuen. Ti Lung’s Magic Blade character makes a brief appearance in Death Duel, a 1977 film that features Derek Yee as a master swordsman looking to become the greatest in the land. Death Duel also contains a brief appearance by Lo Lieh, as twisted killer Hang Tan, a role Lo first portrayed in 1976′s Killer Clans, which featured neither Ti Lung nor Derek Yee. So there’s your trilogy. Like I said, loose."

Keep in mind the films are very compressed versions of Gu Long novels, so reading (translations) of them might reveal more connections. http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/forumdisplay.php/29-Wuxia-Translations

• Like 2

Chemical Lemon

It's been a while since I've seen most of these (I've watched Killer Clans a few times over the years, but most of the others only a few times when they were released on dvd). There are a few movies that are sequels of each, but most of the films are just set in the same world and occasionally characters from one movie/book appear in other character's movie/book.

I think I Death Duel in particular had a lot of cameos. The only one I remember is Lo Lieh's character from Killer Clans.

I can't speak to the timeline of the various books, but there seem to be more and more online resources in english that have details of the various books and characters and how they relate together. Wikipedia has a reasonably good entry on Gu Long (although several of the SB movies are missing from the adaptation list). The nice thing about the current list is that it says to the right of the movie which character the movie follows. Including "Perils of the Sentimental Swordsman" where SB adapted the original book around a different character. They have some info on some of the more popular characters series too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xiaoli_Feidao_(novel_series)

Character from "The Sentimental Swordsman" and "Return of the Sentimental Swordsman". Played by Ti Lung

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chu_Liuxiang

Character from "Clans of Intrigue", "Legend of the Bat", and "Perils of the Sentimental Swordsman" (although the book was about Lu Xiaofeng, who was replaced with Chu Liuxiang in the movie). Played by Ti Lung

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lu_Xiaofeng

Character from "Clan of Amazons" and "Duel of the Century". Played by Liu Yong

There's also 2 SB movies about Fu Hung Hsueh, "The Magic Blade" and "Pursuit of Vengeance". I had actually thought "Pursuit of Vengeance" had it's main character replaced from the book, but I may have gotten it confused with "Perils of the Sentimental Swordsman", or possibly there is another SB movie out there that swapped characters.

It's pretty easy to piece together the timeline of a particular series from the info there, but that doesn't help to piece together how all the gu long stories fit together. I haven't searched the internet lately though, but each time I have I've found the amount of english info on Gu Long and Jin Yong has increased significantly. Some of the books have been translated into english and can be bought in stores, others you can find fan translations online.

• Like 2

Here is a list of all the Chor Yuen / Gu Long adaptations by release date:

1976 03 20 - Killer Clans

1976 07 10 - Magic Blade

1977 03 05 - Clans of Intrigue

1977 05 07 - Jade Tiger

1977 07 07 - Death Duel

1977 10 14 - Sentimental Swordsman

1977 12 22 - Pursuit of Vengeance

1978 02 19 - Clan of Amazons

1978 07 08 - Legend of The Bat

1978 11 08 - Swordsman And Enchantress

1979 01 25 - Full Moon Scimitar

1979 05 30 - Murder Plot

1979 07 19 - Proud Twins

1980 07 24 - Heroes Shed No Tears

1981 01 31 - Return of The Sentimental Swordsman

1981 10 22 - Duel of The Century

1982 05 13 - Perils of The Sentimental Swordsman

1982 06 17 - Spirit of The Sword

• Like 1

The beginning voice-over on The Spirit of the Sword would put that movie before the time of Li Xunhuan, Yafei, Little Mermaid, Chenlang, Yidianhong, Monk Wuhua, and the goddess of spirited water clan.

• Like 1

Some good info in this thread, thanks. Aside from the obvious story arcs based on characters, I've always seen Chu Yuan films as different episodes from the same wuxia world.

On a higher level, to some extent I see all Shaw period pieces this way.. like there is one long Shaw Brothers film based in various stages of Chinese history. This homogenous character to the films heightened by the same use of sets, props, actors etc. Chu Yuan certainly knew how to make use of those sets. Interestingly, I don't really enjoy Shaws set in the modern world as much, and I think it's because, to me, they don't quite feel part of this universe like the period pieces do.

• Like 1

Here is a list of all the Chor Yuen / Gu Long adaptations by release date:

1976 03 20 - Killer Clans

1976 07 10 - Magic Blade

1977 03 05 - Clans of Intrigue

1977 05 07 - Jade Tiger

1977 07 07 - Death Duel

1977 10 14 - Sentimental Swordsman

1977 12 22 - Pursuit of Vengeance

1978 02 19 - Clan of Amazons

1978 07 08 - Legend of The Bat

1978 11 08 - Swordsman And Enchantress

1979 01 25 - Full Moon Scimitar

1979 05 30 - Murder Plot

1979 07 19 - Proud Twins

1980 07 24 - Heroes Shed No Tears

1981 01 31 - Return of The Sentimental Swordsman

1981 10 22 - Duel of The Century

1982 05 13 - Perils of The Sentimental Swordsman

1982 06 17 - Spirit of The Sword

I've got all of these except for Death Duel and The Proud Twins. I'll have to remedy that.

Aside from the obvious story arcs based on characters, I've always seen Chu Yuan films as different episodes from the same wuxia world.

Yes, I've always thought that too; one where it doesn't pay to work at a roadside tea house/restaurant (unless you've got a death wish). I've always thought that Chor Yuen was at his best with his wu xia movies.

• Like 1

I've got all of these except for Death Duel and The Proud Twins. I'll have to remedy that.

Yes, I've always thought that too; one where it doesn't pay to work at a roadside tea house/restaurant (unless you've got a death wish). I've always thought that Chor Yuen was at his best with his wu xia movies.

Ha. Exactly.

I did not know that all of these are connected. The obvious ones were obvious. :wink: But, I was lacking a few of the titles. Once I saw this list I ordered Murder Plot and Pursuit of Vengeance. They were on my list of Shaws to get but just moved towards the top. The real dilemma now will be on how to organize this collection of films. Do I just put them in the order of release or try to figure out the order in which they take place?

• Like 1

If anyone's interested, here's the Gu Long list with names of source novels.

1976 03 20 - Killer Clans - Comet' date= Butterfly, Sword

1976 07 10 - Magic Blade - Horizon, Bright Moon, Sabre

1977 03 05 - Clans of Intrigue - "Fragrance in a Sea of Blood" from The Legend of Chu Liu-Xiang

1977 05 07 - Jade Tiger - The White Jade Tiger

1977 07 07 - Death Duel - The Sword of the Third Master

1977 10 14 - Sentimental Swordsman - Sentimental Swordsman, Ruthless Blade

1977 12 22 - Pursuit of Vengeance - Bordertown Wanderer

1978 02 19 - Clan of Amazons - The Embroidery Bandit

1978 07 08 - Legend of The Bat - The Legend of the Bat

1978 11 08 - Swordsman And Enchantress - The Eleventh Son

1979 01 25 - Full Moon Scimitar - Full Moon and Curved Sabre

1979 05 30 - Murder Plot - The Informal History of the Martial Arts Circle

1979 07 19 - Proud Twins - The Legendary Siblings

1980 07 24 - Heroes Shed No Tears - Heroes Shed No Tears

1981 01 31 - Return of The Sentimental Swordsman - Sentimental Swordsman, Ruthless Blade (Unused material)

1981 10 22 - Duel of The Century - Before and After the Duel

1982 05 13 - Perils of The Sentimental Swordsman - Spirit Villa (The book is actually part of the series with Clan of Amazons and Duel of the Century)

1982 06 17 - Spirit of The Sword - The Record of Cleansing Flowers and Swords

• Like 2

If anyone's interested, here's the Gu Long list with names of source novels.

I've been looking for this list, thanks!

1981 01 31 - Return of The Sentimental Swordsman - ???? (It seems the original novel might have had two distinct parts, this being the second half)

Sentimental Swordsman and Return of... are based on the same novel, but in the novel they're not prequel and sequel like the movies, but one story.

• Like 1