Looking for rare 60's - 70's movie

kungfumaster

Now searching for a rare kung fu movie from the 60's - 70's that I had seen on TV (probably channel 4 - WTTV - Indianapolis, IN) that starred a white-haired master sitting in his throne-like chair with arms folded over who awaits and takes on an entire army or legion of warriors (hundreds, or, perhaps a cast of a thousand or more) in the final battle at the end. I was quite young at the time of the viewing as I no longer remember if the master survived the onslaught although it was truly an epic fight!

I don't know if there might be more than one movie that fits my description so please do send a number of possible matches. I would remember it better if I could view some clips.

Do appreciate your help.

• Like 1

No - that's not it, although thanks for the reply.

Will try to add a little more description that I remember:

The white-haired master was sitting in a throne-like chair with his arms folded over (presumably almost like a king in his castle) awaiting the oncoming army (perhaps it was a large mansion styled house instead) and this was a large army - a legion of warriors - not just a handful.

I can nearly visualize the scene and wish I could give you more - was a very long time, ago!

• Like 1

Now searching for a rare kung fu movie from the 60's - 70's that I had seen on TV (probably channel 4 - WTTV - Indianapolis, IN) that starred a white-haired master sitting in his throne-like chair with arms folded over who awaits and takes on an entire army or legion of warriors (hundreds, or, perhaps a cast of a thousand or more) in the final battle at the end. I was quite young at the time of the viewing as I no longer remember if the master survived the onslaught although it was truly an epic fight!

I don't know if there might be more than one movie that fits my description so please do send a number of possible matches. I would remember it better if I could view some clips.

Do appreciate your help.

Check:

Snake Crane Secret aka Snake and Crane Secret

The Secret of Shaolin Poles

The Ming Patriots

Adventures At Shaolin

• Like 1

Check:

Snake Crane Secret aka Snake and Crane Secret

The Secret of Shaolin Poles

The Ming Patriots

Adventures At Shaolin

Just did review the four movies above at YouTube and none of them have the scene that I remember with the final end fight. Perhaps this was a 60's film - not from the 70's?

Please note the battle is against a large army (hundreds of men) not a few - and, it appears to be staged in a very large palace courtyard with steps - in front of a huge mansion style palace/house.

Will continue the search...

• Like 1

Any idea of any of the actors? White hair-Chang Yi, Carter Wong, Pai Ying, Hwang Jang Lee?

Try the HKMDB-

http://hkmdb.com/db/people/view.mhtml?id=3891&display_set=eng

Sorry, do not know the names of any of the actors - and, I cannot view your link as I get the following error message:

403 Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /db/people/view.mhtml on this server.

Will continue searching.

• Like 1

Just did review the four movies above at YouTube and none of them have the scene that I remember with the final end fight. Perhaps this was a 60's film - not from the 70's?

Please note the battle is against a large army (hundreds of men) not a few - and, it appears to be staged in a very large palace courtyard with steps - in front of a huge mansion style palace/house.

Will continue the search...

I honestly think your description might be a bit flawed.There are many members on this forum who have seen a lot of these films and what you have described would be quite memorable as there are not that many white haired villains who would have carried out such a feat in a movie for it to go unnoticed.You have to try harder with more info.Think hard.Anything else that will give a significant clue.

• Like 1

Palace attacks regardless of white haired villains.

Executioners From Shaolin

Fists Of The White Lotus

Shaolin Temple Strikes Back

The Emperor and His Brother.

The Blazing Temple

The Assassin

Heroic Ones

Blood Brothers

Eunuch Of The Western Palace

• Like 1

masterofoneinchpunch
Sorry, do not know the names of any of the actors - and, I cannot view your link as I get the following error message:

403 Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /db/people/view.mhtml on this server.

Will continue searching.

When you get the error message just refresh the page. The site admin has some funky settings on there so when you link to the site and click the link (through <a href) it sometimes gives that error message (same issue with linking to images there). You can also just paste or enter the link on the top (hit enter afterwards) and it will work there as well.

• Like 1

Palace attacks regardless of white haired villains.

Executioners From Shaolin

Fists Of The White Lotus

Shaolin Temple Strikes Back

The Emperor and His Brother.

The Blazing Temple

The Assassin

Heroic Ones

Blood Brothers

Eunuch Of The Western Palace

I watched all of the end scenes from the above on YouTube and I had high hopes for the "Heroic Ones" as it was the only movie that was fairly close to representing the army invading the palace - although there was no white haired master.

I now see that I have my work cut out for me in finding this as there are literally thousands of kung fu movies. Will have to look through a very long list from the 60's - 70's and continue the search.

• Like 1

NoKUNGFUforYU

Sounds like a Carter Wong or Chang Yi type of flick. I don't know if many of those movies had 100's of extras period. That would cost money. Dozens, but not 100's. Just look on the HKMDB for the actors I mentioned. And yes, it could take a while. I couldn't find a flick I wanted for 3 year- Magnificent Two- it did not show up on any sites- HK or IMDB, then, blam! It appeared! I had thought I was losing my memory, but there it was and someone put up the clip!

• Like 1

Sounds like a Carter Wong or Chang Yi type of flick. I don't know if many of those movies had 100's of extras period. That would cost money. Dozens, but not 100's. Just look on the HKMDB for the actors I mentioned. And yes, it could take a while. I couldn't find a flick I wanted for 3 year- Magnificent Two- it did not show up on any sites- HK or IMDB, then, blam! It appeared! I had thought I was losing my memory, but there it was and someone put up the clip!

This is true and if you say 100s from 60's/70s it is a tough call.Later years of course there are movies that fit.Anyway check out The 14 Amazons and Dragon Gate Inn or The New Dragon Gate Inn.

• Like 1

Was it really a white-haired MAN ? There's a white-haired woman in a chair such as the one you describe in Flame and ice hand, fighting in front of her palace, but I don't remember a numerous army fighting against her...

Was it a color movie ? This kind of scene might also be found in the old black and white Cantonese martial arts movies of the 60's...

Good luck.

• Like 1

Thanks for all of the replies so far although none of the movies above is it.

Perhaps it was one of those old Cantonese martial arts film of the 60's.

(As mentioned above.)

I believe I would know the epic final scene when I see it.

Will keep looking.

• Like 1

Thanks for all of the replies so far although none of the movies above is it.

Perhaps it was one of those old Cantonese martial arts film of the 60's.

(As mentioned above.)

I believe I would know the epic final scene when I see it.

Will keep looking.

Thanks also for picking our brains but I really doubt if there are any Cantonese martial art films of the 60s that fits your description.It is the white haired villain that is making it dubious.Also it could be later years not 60s/70s.

It will be good if you can throw a bit of light on your knowledge of this genre and the year you saw this film.Do you remember any of the stars? Was it just curiosity that made you watch the film or were you a diehard fan who made it a point of duty to see this film?

Reflecting a bit would help give more clues.In the mean time I hope the roles are not reversed minus the white haired guy to see if The Rebellious Reign fits the bill.

• Like 1

I believe I had seen this movie between the ages of about 8 yrs. old up to 19 (not later) which would place the movie between these years:

1967 through 1978

I would guess I had seen this is a younger child (probably in the late 60's) as I had a small black and white television set at the time - not color. I do remember watching all of these movies on that particular TV set.

As for the names of any stars, actors, etc - was too young to take in the details.

Will be looking through more videos from this era.

Extra note:

I am not so sure that this white-haired master was necessarily a "villain" as you mentioned although he was defending his turf (or, palace) from the invading legion of warriors in the final scene.

• Like 1

Cognoscente

Speaking of rare movies from this era, I came across a 1975 magazine advertisement for the below 1976 movie when I was searching for issues of The Covered-Ups.

The 76 Humors II (HKMDB)

The below title in quotes translates to World Horse Ghost. The caption for the top photo literally translates to: "The skirt is in the middle of the solution. [World Horse Ghost] In Yanlin, the meat is spring-green."

The bottom caption translates to: "Rain, summer, yellow, anger, crime, gold, film - World Horse Ghost."

Whoever runs HKMDB can feel free to use the image.

1975b.jpg

Edited by Cognoscente
  • Like 1