Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit

SamSeed

Saw this yesterday. Very much a film of two halves. The first half plays out as a thriller and it works very well. As a director, Branagh know how to keep the tension ramped up and he puts in a great performance as the Russian villain. However, it is during the action sequences that the film faulters. Branagh is no action director and it shows in the fight scenes, where he utilises the shakycam technique, making it almost mpossible to see what is going on. One feature I did enjoy was that after the first fight, the character of Jack Ryan is visibly shaken up and it is refreshing to see a more human actioon hero. Overall I would say that it is worth a watch if you can out up with the shakycam.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NoKUNGFUforYU
Saw this yesterday. Very much a film of two halves. The first half plays out as a thriller and it works very well. As a director, Branagh know how to keep the tension ramped up and he puts in a great performance as the Russian villain. However, it is during the action sequences that the film faulters. Branagh is no action director and it shows in the fight scenes, where he utilises the shakycam technique, making it almost mpossible to see what is going on. One feature I did enjoy was that after the first fight, the character of Jack Ryan is visibly shaken up and it is refreshing to see a more human actioon hero. Overall I would say that it is worth a watch if you can out up with the shakycam.

My 13 year old son saw it. He said there were not enough twists or turns, and just rated it fair. So, like you said, not enough action.

Archived