Blackhat (aka Cyber) (2015)

AlbertV

Michael Mann's upcoming Cyber, a new cyberthriller, was shot last year with a set release for sometime next year. The film stars Chris Hemsworth, Tang Wei, Leehom Wang, and Andy On. Hemsworth revealed the plot:

"It’s based in the world of cyber terrorism. Basically, something similar to the Chicago Board of Trade is hacked into and it sets off a chain of events around the world, affecting the stock market. And the code that was used to hack into it, my character had written it years before and he happens to be in prison for cyber crime. He is pulled out and offered a deal if he works with a joint task force of the FBI and the Chinese goverment in trying to track this guy down. It starts off in Chicago and ends up in Kuala Lumpur, in Hong Kong and in Jakarta. It’s this sort of cat-and-mouse international heist-thriller.”

Which explains why Tang, Wang, and On are in the film as members of the Chinese government task force. Tang is also playing Hemsworth's love interest. Here's an on-set photo of Hemsworth, On, and Wang

tumblr_mps52tWTtt1qcktaio4_1280.png

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doesn't look like Leehom Wang will be getting much action in this. I don't think I've seen a movie of his since China Strike Force but I thought he did great in that.

The film is a box-office fiasco, which means blood in the water, with every critic trying to get in a cheapshot before it filters out the news cycle. But frankly, this a superior action film, downright sublime in places, which both suffers and excels for the same reason: it's a Michael Mann movie through and through.

Honestly the way most critics talk, I feel most walked out of the film. The first third of the movie has serious problems: it's slow, it's bogged down by all the technobabble and its fidelity to reality (hacking=code writing=uncinematic and dull). As always, Mann's unapologetic digital look takes getting used to. And there are serious structural problems: Mann admitted to completely reshuffling the order of events in the editing room and it all feels off. I can easily understand the film losing lots of people here...

Which is too bad, because once the film leaps to Hong Kong and increasingly away from computer screens, it turns into a magnificent action film of sobering intensity and piercing determination, the kind Mann excels at. The film has at least three setpieces which will surely rank among the best action scenes of the year. The final fifteen minutes in particular are a masterclass in tension and escalation. Perhaps no one other than Mann has such a skill for making guns look actually terrifying on screen, tools which genuinely rattle and shatter their surroundings. No one better invokes the sense of chaos and disorientation that envelopes a place once gunfire erupts. Above all, no one shows, with more precision, those moments of clarity and decision one needs to call forth to survive the chaos.

Which also sums up the limit of the film: despite it's subject and all the lip service paid to its realism (even Liam Hemsworth's much ridiculed nordic adonis is based off a real similarly handsome cybercriminal), the film only comes alive once it turns into an action procedural, with the cyberstakes increasingly becoming a Macguffin. Ultimately this is more Miami Vice than The Insider, and there's something to be said for the possibility of a film that played the material straight, or for Mann trying to step out the insular register he's been working in for the last decade. Yet, when that register pays off as much dividends as it does here, there's something to be said for him to go deeper. With this film being the biggest flop of his career, it'll be curious to see what his next move is.

you know, the film wasn't bad at all, not that I expected it to be. It's nothing extra special, but it was really quite decent. good to see Andy On! definitely worth a purchase when it hit BD

I always loved M double up to The Insider. A fantastic film. Ali did nothing for me although Will was good.

Then he switched to video and I've disliked everything since. I can't stand that video look. It ruined Collateral for me. Miami Vice, aside from being aimless, once again video. Public Enemies never looked interesting as a movie, looked cheap, video.

This is another of his continuing path down the video route, as well as not looking very interesting.

It's disappointing to be a fan, yet be pushed away be the people that you want to see because of their right to have, choices. See you around Mike.

I'm debating on whether to see this, would anyone say it's worth it? I know it's more of a cyber-thriller, but is the action good? I'm guessing since it's Mann that most of it is gun oriented, is there a bit of hand to hand?

I shared my thoughts on it last page, but there's a very brief scene where Hemsworth takes on a Korean restaurant, but mostly it's Mann's typical class of steely shootouts and standoffs. Maybe a little hard going at first, but I really enjoyed it

I'd say it's worth seeing. It doesn't measure up to his classics, and neither do the action scenes. It kinda reminded me of Manhunter. And the last 20 minutes are excellent. Your eyes'll be glued to the screen.

Archived