That Demon Within (2014)

DiP

China Lion will be releasing this in the US on the same date as HK theatrical release, April 18th. Let's just hope Chicago gets it this time!

Saw it the other day at the Berlin film fest and was suitably impressed. Wouldn’t call this a bonafide classic like UNBEATABLE, but its a tightly paced darkside thriller and most definitely another home run for Nick Cheung. Dan Wu played his part of the cop that’s slowly sliding into schizophrenia pretty convincingly, while Andy On’s role was unfortunately again a rather small one; plus his character makes a somewhat out-of-the-blue about-turn in the film’s final moment that I perceived to be rather irritating and logic-defying. AC Phillip Kwok’s design of the gun battles was spot-on, but unless other Dante Lam projects I felt THE DEMON WITHIN could have done with some better CGI. Especially the pyrotechnics used during the stand-off on the flyover and those during the monumental gas station blast at the end didn’t look all that great.

the last one I saw that Kwok designed was Blood Brothers, which had a really good gunplay finale. hey Sheng, without spoilers, how does the gunplay rate in That Demon Within compared with Lam's recent gunfire-heavy films (The Sniper, Fire of Conscience and The Viral Factor)? thanks

the last one I saw that Kwok designed was Blood Brothers, which had a really good gunplay finale. hey Sheng, without spoilers, how does the gunplay rate in That Demon Within compared with Lam's recent gunfire-heavy films (The Sniper, Fire of Conscience and The Viral Factor)? thanks

Well, generally the shoot-outs weren’t all that long, but that doesn’t mean they’re short on intensity, the stand-off on the overpass being an especially gripping scene. I think the film cannot really be compared with THE VIRAL FACTOR, which bombarded you with long XXL action set-pieces almost nonstop. And I’m not sure if it was just the way its edited (by the great Patrick Tam, by the way), but the story’s rhythm was noticeably different than in other Dante Lam films, not as smoothly, tell-all cohesive in a way. Sometimes there wasn’t much of a build-up, you’d just slap-dash thrown into some pulse-racing action scene (or might only be shown the gruesome aftermath...).

Also there wasn’t one of those unforgettable, ultra-realistic moments that could make even the hardest mu’fucka flinch, as there was in THE FIRE OF CONSCIENCE when a dynamite-strapped Wang Baoquiang was blown into a zillion pieces. Altogether I feel FIRE OF CONSCIENCE was a better realized film then THE DEMON WITHIN, but as any Dante Lam project this one warrants a careful rewatch (or two!). Definitely a must-buy for anyone following HK crime / action cinema!

thanks Sheng for the info. I will most certainly be ready to buy this from Yesasia when it hits HK DVD, haven't missed one of Lam's films yet since he staged his comeback! I am hoping though for a chance to see this in the theater, it all will depend on whether or not China Lion will release it in Chicago or not. Anyone know why Chicago is almost always left off the list for China Lion's releases, even though it's the 3rd biggest city in the US??

Alright, China Lion has updated their facebook page with the list of cities, and it's a great list! NY, LA, San Francisco Bay Area, Irvine, Seattle, DC, Chicago, Boston, Toronto and Vancouver!! Again, April 18th is the release date, same with Hong Kong

One Armed Boxer
Alright, China Lion has updated their facebook page with the list of cities, and it's a great list! NY, LA, San Francisco Bay Area, Irvine, Seattle, DC, Chicago, Boston, Toronto and Vancouver!! Again, April 18th is the release date, same with Hong Kong

Likewise for Sydney in Australia (also for Donnie Yen's 'Ice Man')....I'm liking this whose same day release deal that seems to be happening with a lot of Asian movies these days, especially here in Australia, I'm lucky enough to be going to watch 'The Raid 2' tonight for a second time on the big screen.

Just got back from seeing it this evening in Chicago. Overall, for fans of The Beast Stalker, The Stool Pigeon, and Unbeatable, this is one to check out. It was pretty good overall, but I think more emphasis on Nick Cheung was needed. I'd say overall, the other 3 films I mentioned were better. However, this provides the viewer with a lot to think about. Daniel Wu gave a good performance, and Nick Cheung was great, but his screen time was limited. Cinematography in this one was great!

Overall, for fans of The Beast Stalker, The Stool Pigeon, and Unbeatable, this is one to check out. [...] I'd say overall, the other 3 films I mentioned were better.

Between this and As The Light Goes Out, I wonder if there was a screening of trippy 1960's films in HK a while back. That Demon Within goes overboard with the visuals. Beneath the style, there's an OK crime/cop on the edge story.

Doctor Schnabel von Rom

Watched the movie at the nifff last week (Nifff = neuchatel international fantasy film fest)

it's solid and okay for watching once. but i will not put in in my collection.

the acting, camera work and pictures / optic was real great. the story was okay. first half of the movie i liked more. second was quiet boring and less spectacular. the end runs to long and it has some very cheap cgi effects (flame and fire).

would give 6 from 10

Finally watched it. The concept was lovely --- a schizophrenic cop being haunted by his past through a criminal and attempting to play the criminal's associates against each other to fight off his inner struggles triggered by the criminal. But it wasn't pulled off as good. The editing and chronological order of which the story is played out caused quite some confusion for me, and the way the writers covered the biggest plot twist by having us thinking the essential piece of the whole film was to come in the end was cheap.

This is quite not in the same league as The Beast Stalker and Unbeatable but applauds to D. Lam for trying his best. And kudos to both Nick Cheung (his limited screen-time took away from the film a bit) and Daniel Wu for portraying their characters real well.

Wow, THAT DEMON WITHIN clearly did something for me. I liked it better than Lam's last two films even if UNBEATABLE is the more coherent movie. The atmosphere in TDW is creepy, the visuals great (as usual with the director), the shootouts bloody, engaging and shocking and the actors convincing. One thing that annoyed me a bit was the score which was way over the top. Apart from this I highly recommend watching this film. You might not like it as much as I do but it is an intense experience.