Justin Lin to remake Jet Li's Shaolin Temple

AlbertV

Film Business Asia:

Justin LIN 林詣彬 has signed on to direct Beijing Enlight Pictures Co Ltd 北京光線影業有限公司's 3-D remake of The Shaolin Temple 少林寺 (1982), the film that launched the career of Jet LI 李連杰.

The news was first reported online by China's Sina this morning. It has since been confirmed on the Weibo microblog accounts of Beijing Enlight Media Co Ltd 北京光線傳媒股份有限公司 and its CEO WANG Changtian 王長田.

Wang unveiled the project in Aug 2012, announcing a production partnership with the Shaolin Temple. The script has since been approved by the State Administration of Press, Publication, Radio, Film and Television (SAPPRFT) 國家新聞出版廣電總局.

In October, Wang wrote on Weibo that an unnamed director has been chosen for the project and that pre-production is expected to take two years.

Lin is currently attached to direct the next film in the Bourne franchise, currently set for release in Aug 2015. He is also serving as the executive producer on Fast & Furious 7. The Shaolin Temple remake will be his first Chinese-language film.

Please....stop with the 3D....it's too much!!! But am excited to see Lin tackle such a project for his first Chinese-language film

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Secret Executioner
Please....stop with the 3D....it's too much!!!

China is one of the markets where 3D sells the best. So don't expect Chinese studios/producers to stop now.

I think this is exciting as hell. Justin Lin knows action. This could be a very interesting project to keep an eye on.

Secret Executioner
Temple go boom! lots of slutty looking nuns and greasy looking monks....

Is Michael Bay to be involved ?

ShaOW!linDude
The working title for this has been announced as 'Shaolin Temple: The Fists & The Furious'.

Oh, you're owning me!:bigsmile: That's good stuff, OAB. What a great pun!:tongue:

OpiumKungFuCracker

I might be the small percentage but not a big fan of Justin Lin tackling such films like Shaolin Temple of all films. I like the Justin Lin doing smaller independent projects like Better Luck Tomorrow. He's just another Michael Bay, is that a good thing?

I might be the small percentage but not a big fan of Justin Lin tackling such films like Shaolin Temple of all films. I like the Justin Lin doing smaller independent projects like Better Luck Tomorrow. He's just another Michael Bay, is that a good thing?

I think he's head and shoulders above Michael Bay. Lin seems to understand what makes action work and while Bay sometimes shares the same vision, more often than not he goes for overkill.

I like to think this film will be a smaller, more intimate film for Lin. I'm just excited by the possibilities.

OpiumKungFuCracker
I think he's head and shoulders above Michael Bay. Lin seems to understand what makes action work and while Bay sometimes shares the same vision, more often than not he goes for overkill.

I like to think this film will be a smaller, more intimate film for Lin. I'm just excited by the possibilities.

Speaking of Shaolin Temple, the Jet Li one which is part 4? I remember half way through the film the wheels came off mighty quickly and I didn't really like it that much. The movie became a little too self indulgent and steered away towards what the film was to be about and that was some Shaolin style fighting. What really pissed me off is the scene when the King was enjoying some casual entertainment involving some very flexible dame where she put her legs over her head and that scene lasted for like 10 MINS!!!!!! Does anybody know what scene I'm talking about? Don't get me started on the unnecessary love interest.

• Administrator
Speaking of Shaolin Temple, the Jet Li one which is part 4? I remember half way through the film the wheels came off mighty quickly and I didn't really like it that much. The movie became a little too self indulgent and steered away towards what the film was to be about and that was some Shaolin style fighting. What really pissed me off is the scene when the King was enjoying some casual entertainment involving some very flexible dame where she put her legs over her head and that scene lasted for like 10 MINS!!!!!! Does anybody know what scene I'm talking about? Don't get me started on the unnecessary love interest.

Jet Li was only in the first three films. And part 2- usually referred to as KIDS FROM SHAOLIN- is the only one that can kind of be considered a real sequel. But it doesn't contain any of the same characters, even though many of the same cast members are in it, and it was also by the same director- Cheung Yam-Yin. Then he did MARTIAL ARTS OF SHAOLIN with Lau Kar-Leung directing, and a lot of people refer to that one as SHAOLIN TEMPLE 3. Again, there are no cross-over characters or plot. Here are the details...

SHAOLIN TEMPLE (1982)

KIDS FROM SHAOLIN (1984, aka. Shaolin Temple 2)

MARTIAL ARTS OF SHAOLIN (1986, aka. Shaolin Temple 3)

Sometimes SHAOLIN THE BLOOD MISSION (1984) is called SHAOLIN TEMPLE 4. Perhaps that's the one you saw? The scene you mentioned sounds familiar, but I can't remember where I saw it. It may have been in SHAOLIN THE BLOOD MISSION, but I haven't seen that in at least 24 years! So... hard to say.

As for this new SHAOLIN TEMPLE film... I'm always open to seeing some Shaolin kung fu. So I will remain cautiously optimistic.

I remain notoriously suspicious about projects like these. According to the ever-dependable cityonfire.com “ … Lin’s business affiliate says the plan is to hire ‘an A+ list Hollywood writer to tackle the story’. He adds ‘The aim is to make an unprecedented Chinese-based tentpole with story, style and scope that will resonate with global audiences as well…’.

An “A+ list Hollywood writer” usually translates with hiring some hack like John Fusco. In other words, someone who’s capable of writing some lil’ white boy (like Michael Angarano in FORBIDDEN KINGDOM) into a story that’s set in medieval China, making the whole thing cheesy and childish beyond salvation. But using a simple fairytale device like this probably made sure that Middle America had less of a problem to identify with a subject matter, that, according to standard Hollywood thinking, would otherwise be deemed as “too exotic”.

One Armed Boxer
The Shaolin Temple remake will be his first Chinese-language film.

Lin’s business affiliate says the plan is to hire ‘an A+ list Hollywood writer to tackle the story’

Is it just me, or do these two statements not really gel well together?

Sometimes SHAOLIN THE BLOOD MISSION (1984) is called SHAOLIN TEMPLE 4.

This was the UK Vengeance Video release of 'Shaolin Temple 4', is it this one you guys are talking about? -

41PCV3BF55L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

OpiumKungFuCracker
Jet Li was only in the first three films. And part 2- usually referred to as KIDS FROM SHAOLIN- is the only one that can kind of be considered a real sequel. But it doesn't contain any of the same characters, even though many of the same cast members are in it, and it was also by the same director- Cheung Yam-Yin. Then he did MARTIAL ARTS OF SHAOLIN with Lau Kar-Leung directing, and a lot of people refer to that one as SHAOLIN TEMPLE 3. Again, there are no cross-over characters or plot. Here are the details...

SHAOLIN TEMPLE (1982)

KIDS FROM SHAOLIN (1984, aka. Shaolin Temple 2)

MARTIAL ARTS OF SHAOLIN (1986, aka. Shaolin Temple 3)

Sometimes SHAOLIN THE BLOOD MISSION (1984) is called SHAOLIN TEMPLE 4. Perhaps that's the one you saw? The scene you mentioned sounds familiar, but I can't remember where I saw it. It may have been in SHAOLIN THE BLOOD MISSION, but I haven't seen that in at least 24 years! So... hard to say.

As for this new SHAOLIN TEMPLE film... I'm always open to seeing some Shaolin kung fu. So I will remain cautiously optimistic.

Yeah, maybe it was part 3, not sure but thanks for the tidbit. I know I've only seen one out of the four you mentioned.

What really pissed me off is the scene when the King was enjoying some casual entertainment involving some very flexible dame where she put her legs over her head and that scene lasted for like 10 MINS!!!!!! Does anybody know what scene I'm talking about?

That actually sounds like Martial Arts of Shaolin IIRC. There is a scene where people are entertaining the King and it lasts a while. Guess LKL and the crew wanted show off the production values...a lot. I actually liked the film though. Some great action and beautiful locations.

OpiumKungFuCracker
That actually sounds like Martial Arts of Shaolin IIRC. There is a scene where people are entertaining the King and it lasts a while. Guess LKL and the crew wanted show off the production values...a lot. I actually liked the film though. Some great action and beautiful locations.

Yeah that's the one. Maybe because I was high as shit on marijuana that lead me to believe that I didn't like the film much. I will watch the film again without any narcotics in my system.

• Administrator
I remain notoriously suspicious about projects like these. According to the ever-dependable cityonfire.com “ … Lin’s business affiliate says the plan is to hire ‘an A+ list Hollywood writer to tackle the story’. He adds ‘The aim is to make an unprecedented Chinese-based tentpole with story, style and scope that will resonate with global audiences as well…’.

An “A+ list Hollywood writer” usually translates with hiring some hack like John Fusco. In other words, someone who’s capable of writing some lil’ white boy (like Michael Angarano in FORBIDDEN KINGDOM) into a story that’s set in medieval China, making the whole thing cheesy and childish beyond salvation. But using a simple fairytale device like this probably made sure that Middle America had less of a problem to identify with a subject matter, that, according to standard Hollywood thinking, would otherwise be deemed as “too exotic”.

Egad... Sadly, you're probably right. It would take some balls for the "powers that be" to just make an epic film about the Shaolin Temple that didn't have a Caucasian in the cast, and was simply a straight-forward ass-kicking story about the real place and history without any fantasy elements. The sad thing is, that if they did something like this- so different from the norm- they may find out that people might go crazy for it!

Is it just me, or do these two statements not really gel well together?

It's not just you. :squigglemouth:

This was the UK Vengeance Video release of 'Shaolin Temple 4', is it this one you guys are talking about? -

41PCV3BF55L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Hard to say. Although I own that version on DVD, I don't think I've seen it yet. The one I'm referring to would have been a VHS from a loooong time ago. Back when the name Jackie Chan still wouldn't have meant anything to you little brother. :wink:

Yeah, maybe it was part 3, not sure but thanks for the tidbit. I know I've only seen one out of the four you mentioned.

Dude! You have got to see these. If you've only ever seen Jet Li as he flies around on wires, then you've got a real treat in store for you. He's wire-free and tearing up the screen with spear, three-section staff, swords, and tons of hand to hand including a wicked Mantis Fist!

That's right. Good call Massa Yoda. The first time I saw this I thought that despite the fantastic kung fu on display, the whole thing seemed very stale and stuffy. It seemed like Pops' Hong Kong sensibilities were nowhere to be found. But after seeing it again I enjoyed it a lot more. It just took some getting used to. A completely different flavor for a movie from Lau Sifu.

Yeah that's the one. Maybe because I was high as shit on marijuana that lead me to believe that I didn't like the film much. I will watch the film again without any narcotics in my system.

Yeah, not every film goes well with a spliff. They can't all be HOLY WEAPON (1993, aka. Seven Maidens; 7 Maidens). :tongue: LOL

Like I said- they're all worth seeing. But I especially enjoy and recommend the original SHAOLIN TEMPLE (1982) with Jet- not to be confused with the Shaw Brothers film of the same name SHAOLIN TEMPLE (1976, aka. Death Chamber; Death Chambers).

Oh, and I also wanted to say Happy Birthday OpiumKungFuCracker. :bigsmile:

OpiumKungFuCracker

Yeah, not every film goes well with a spliff. They can't all be HOLY WEAPON (1993, aka. Seven Maidens; 7 Maidens). :tongue: LOL

Like I said- they're all worth seeing. But I especially enjoy and recommend the original SHAOLIN TEMPLE (1982) with Jet- not to be confused with the Shaw Brothers film of the same name SHAOLIN TEMPLE (1976, aka. Death Chamber; Death Chambers).

Oh, and I also wanted to say Happy Birthday OpiumKungFuCracker. :bigsmile:

Hhahahaha, we can only hope that it will be as good as Holy Weapon. Thanks for the birthday wishes!!!

Secret Executioner

Jet Li's Shaolin Temple films added to my must-get list. :nerd: Like they weren't on there (already had at least one I think, but can't remember which).

The "Hollywood writer" thing doesn't sound good to me either. :squigglemouth:

How often do they remake or reboot or otherwise rip off this storywise rather generic movie? I mean the story of SHAOLIN TEMPLE was old even when the movie was released. And now we have MARTIAL ARTS OF SHAOLIN, which basically is a remake of the original, we have WU SENG, which is some sort of anniversary remake, we have three seasons of a SHAOLIN TEMPLE-tv-series, there is SHAOLIN that also startet as a remake. Why can't they just make a martial arts-movie set in or around the shaolin temple, whey do they have to make a remake? And why do they hire an expensive Hollywood-director for the the film?

How often do they remake or reboot or otherwise rip off this storywise rather generic movie? I mean the story of SHAOLIN TEMPLE was old even when the movie was released.

Was it really? I can’t remember off the top of my head, but how many Kung Fu movies were really set in early Tang dynasty times? SHAOLIN TEMPLE basically narrated the story of Li Shimin (the later Emperor Taizong, founder of the Tang dynasty, who ruled from 629 to 649) who was brought to power with the assistance of monastery troops from Shaolin. For its military service the temple received substantial land grants, imperial patronage and, more importantly, it ingratiated itself to Taizong’s successors. Which meant that Shaolin weathered the storms of anti-Buddhist suppression that rocked the Tang dynasty repeatedly and reached their high around 845 under Emperor Wuzong.

Of course the movie was historically hopelessly inaccurate, re-enforcing the myth that the elaborate Kung Fu / hand combat styles that emerged during the waning years of the Ming dynasty were already in existence during Tang dynasty times.

Was it really? I can’t remember off the top of my head, but how many Kung Fu movies were really set in early Tang dynasty times? SHAOLIN TEMPLE basically narrated the story of Li Shimin (the later Emperor Taizong, founder of the Tang dynasty, who ruled from 629 to 649) who was brought to power with the assistance of monastery troops from Shaolin. For its military service the temple received substantial land grants, imperial patronage and, more importantly, it ingratiated itself to Taizong’s successors. Which meant that Shaolin weathered the storms of anti-Buddhist suppression that rocked the Tang dynasty repeatedly and reached their high around 845 under Emperor Wuzong.

Well, nothing of this has any impact on the story, it could almost exactly be set during the Qing-dynasty.

Well, nothing of this has any impact on the story, it could almost exactly be set during the Qing-dynasty.

A monastic army from Shaolin helping to put a Manchu Emperor on the throne? I doubt it. Seriously now, as ficticious as the fighting styles in SHAOLIN TEMPLE were, the story is actually solidly grounded in reality. The story of monk soldiers (called senbing in Chinese) involving themselves directly in an imperial power struggle (against Li Shimin’s adversary Wang Shichong) and being a decisive factor for the future Tang Emperor’s victory had no precedent and as such remained a singular phenomenon in the 1500 years of the temple’s history. In no other time did Shaolin have closer dealings with a ruling dynasty, never before or after did the temple enjoy that much prestige at court. The (obviously simplified) events that led to that position are relayed in this particular SHAOLIN TEMPLE film.

But maybe you just meant to imply with the term “generic movie” that SHAOLIN TEMPLE is simply another Kung Fu film set in the distant (dynastic) Chinese past, featuring lots of fighting plus the usual parade of monks and abbots, villains and traitors. Well, yes it is.

A monastic army from Shaolin helping to put a Manchu Emperor on the throne? I doubt it. Seriously now, as ficticious as the fighting styles in SHAOLIN TEMPLE were, the story is actually solidly grounded in reality. The story of monk soldiers (called senbing in Chinese) involving themselves directly in an imperial power struggle (against Li Shimin’s adversary Wang Shichong) and being a decisive factor for the future Tang Emperor’s victory had no precedent and as such remained a singular phenomenon in the 1500 years of the temple’s history. In no other time did Shaolin have closer dealings with a ruling dynasty, never before or after did the temple enjoy that much prestige at court. The (obviously simplified) events that led to that position are relayed in this particular SHAOLIN TEMPLE film.

Again, that may be the setting, but it is certainly not the story. A young man whose parents have been murdered by an evil general joins the shaolin temple to train for revenge which he finally achieves. That's the basic story. The rest is decoration.

Archived