Fist of Fury- the version you've never seen

shukocarl

Remember some years back that George Tan was going to release 'early ' versions of Big Boss and Fist of Fury? Well, as everyone knows the Big Boss one got out to a select few. Did anyone ever get the Fist dvd ? I'm just curious to know if it was the version I first saw in the UK that had "new" credits playing over the burial scene? I think that edit ran 97 mins and missed out the "love scene" between Bruce and Nora.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NoKUNGFUforYU
Remember some years back that George Tan was going to release 'early ' versions of Big Boss and Fist of Fury? Well, as everyone knows the Big Boss one got out to a select few. Did anyone ever get the Fist dvd ? I'm just curious to know if it was the version I first saw in the UK that had "new" credits playing over the burial scene? I think that edit ran 97 mins and missed out the "love scene" between Bruce and Nora.

Saw the Mandarin version of both. In the USA the love scene is intact. Actually, at least on the print of the Big Boss I saw in 1973-74, you could see the blood run down Han Ying Chieh's leg, so it seemed to have most of the gore intact as well. honestly, for whatever reason, Bruce Lee's movies are better dubbed. And I usually hate dubbed movies. And the sound track on the Big Boss is much better in the US version- corny, but better. The HK version comes off as very grim, no fun or camp, just a bleak story of a bunch of poor grunts abused by their drug dealing employer. Fist of Fury is a toss up. You don't have to deal with Bruce Lee's John Wayne dubbing, but if someone ever edited Lo Wei's scenes out of the movie (he knew he had a hit, so he put himself in as much as possible, the vain old fart) you would have a much tighter movie.

Two things when I saw Big Boss and Fist of Fury in Berkeley CA in the 70's.

1. All the women groaned when Bruce says "Don't ever doubt me"

2.When Han takes off his glasses to fight Bruce at the end of the Big Boss a woman behind me said "Next he's going to take out his false teeth!"

Chinatown Kid
Saw the Mandarin version of both. In the USA the love scene is intact. Actually, at least on the print of the Big Boss I saw in 1973-74, you could see the blood run down Han Ying Chieh's leg, so it seemed to have most of the gore intact as well. honestly, for whatever reason, Bruce Lee's movies are better dubbed. And I usually hate dubbed movies. And the sound track on the Big Boss is much better in the US version- corny, but better. The HK version comes off as very grim, no fun or camp, just a bleak story of a bunch of poor grunts abused by their drug dealing employer. Fist of Fury is a toss up. You don't have to deal with Bruce Lee's John Wayne dubbing, but if someone ever edited Lo Wei's scenes out of the movie (he knew he had a hit, so he put himself in as much as possible, the vain old fart) you would have a much tighter movie.

Two things when I saw Big Boss and Fist of Fury in Berkeley CA in the 70's.

1. All the women groaned when Bruce says "Don't ever doubt me"

2.When Han takes off his glasses to fight Bruce at the end of the Big Boss a woman behind me said "Next he's going to take out his false teeth!"

Han definitely didn't take care off his teeth as bad as they looked. Whoever did his dubbing with that Irish/Scotish accent I thought fit him well.

TheKungFuRobber
Bruce Lee's movies are better dubbed.

All Bruce Lee's movies are dubbed, even the Mandarin versions. :smile:

And the sound track on the Big Boss is much better in the US version- corny, but better. The HK version comes off as very grim, no fun or camp, just a bleak story of a bunch of poor grunts abused by their drug dealing employer.

I actually prefer the H.K. version, for me the campy feel of the US version makes the film harder to watch.

Not sure if he transferred it to file

But I know the print got trashed

I just love the atmosphere in BB , it doesn't seem campy to me.......some comic relief , sure , but not campy.......campy is more like Batman '66 (despite this I love B66)

Heck , even FoF had comic relief (Lee Kun biting a Japanese in the arm and then the Hitler moustached desk clerk , lol)

Archived