Izo

Gwai LO

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a cool film, but it's a Miike film with capital M. If you thought Ichi the Killer was testing your endurance, then don't even bother with Izo, it will make Ichi look like a mainstream film.

Essentially it's 2 hours of betrayed ronin (the one from Gosha's Hitokiri actually) lost in time. Everywhere he goes, he kills everyone he sees. Features tons of stars from Yuya Uchida to Hiroki Matsukata, Mickey Curtis, and Takeshi Kitano. And a bloody cool soundtrack by Kazuki Tomokawa .

In all honestly it can't be recommended to anyone :tongue:

Go watch it now!!! :nerd:

I ordered it on eBay (.99 including shipping) the reviews I read was that the movie is extremely confusing, and also even tho he is killing people in the thousands.. It's kinda boring? I read these reviews on amazon and I'm not sure those reviews can be trusted to much?

I don't want to make a separate thread.. How about the movie "GoJoe"

Secret Executioner
I read these reviews on amazon and I'm not sure those reviews can be trusted to much?

amazon's reviews are to be taken with a BIG grain of salt. If you look at some DVD/BR releases, you have reviews saying the product is basically a huge piece of crap (bad quality, horrible sound...) and others praising the same product as pretty much the best thing since sliced bread. I know tastes can be different, but still... You can't have such an extreme difference of opinion on a same product.

One Armed Boxer
amazon's reviews are to be taken with a BIG grain of salt. If you look at some DVD/BR releases, you have reviews saying the product is basically a huge piece of crap (bad quality, horrible sound...) and others praising the same product as pretty much the best thing since sliced bread. I know tastes can be different, but still... You can't have such an extreme difference of opinion on a same product.

The issue in checking out the reviews on amazon for things like the technical quality of the DVD is that they don't separate the reviews based on which specific release of the movie you've clicked on. This causes particular issues with Asian movies, as often they'll have listed the original Asian DVD of the movie, an old region 1 DVD release of the movie, and in many cases a newer release of the movie as well - however all of the reviews are merged so you have no idea which particular version the review is referring to.

sifu iron perm

i personally love it, you can interpret each scene how one feels and imagine. Me and good buddy watched it many moons ago after a session of hoffmans Cid.

Really like Izo, love Gojoe. Neither are traditional action/samurai films, although Gojoe is slightly more so. Challenging films, that I think are worth watching. I've seen Gojoe multiple times, Izo only once (but want to watch it again). IIRC both were released on DVD by Media Blasters in the US and both discs have good transfers.

Morgoth Bauglir

I didn't like this movie but I thought it was worth watching. Been a long time. Is this the one where the lead actor has sex with Mother Earth?

I didn't like this movie but I thought it was worth watching. Been a long time. Is this the one where the lead actor has sex with Mother Earth?

Yep, that's the one.

This is Miike's self-indulent "statement" film, which is a bad thing, because when that director is at his best he seems egoless. Thematically it's very heavy-handed and embarrassing; the appeal is in the stylistic excess. Some of it looks nice out of context, but in the context of a two hour~ film it's a bore because the visuals aren't anchored by any likeable characters or plot, or even a coherent visual narrative.

You already ordered it, so, maybe you can have fun trying to synch it up with Dark Side of the Moon.

Much better Miike you possibly haven't seen: Gozu, Shinjuku Triad Society, Deadly Outlaw Rekka

Archived