The Mo Brothers- Killers (2014)

OpiumKungFuCracker

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw the film last weekend. Good, captivating from start to finish, but intellectually underperforming. Feels very much like the work of two exploitation directors (that Stamboel and Tjahjanto are), though the genre is meant to be psychological thriller.

The biggest problem is on the Japan side. Kazuki Kitamura makes a threatening psycho, but he isn’t much of an actor. The psychological side is quite underdeveloped, especially with some silly and unintentionally amusing twists straight out of the b-film screenwriter’s book.

When the two men finally meet at the end of the film, there’s nothing but cliché fighting and a silly, CGI enhanced death scene. In addition, the Tokyo scenes, shot in Shibuya and Shinjuku, have a somewhat tourist-like feel to them.

Segments set in Indonesia have a much more natural feel to then, and are better acted. The concept itself, with a sick serial killer and a vigilante interacting though the internet and uploading their kills, is fascinating and morally challenging. It’s just a shame the theme isn’t further developed.

Tech specks are fine, with solid cinematography and effective soundtrack. Special effects team does top job most of the time, bringing some scenes to borderline splatter, though gore is only a small part of the 137 min film.

Good film, but could be so much more.

OpiumKungFuCracker

Well that's what I was curious about when balancing the production values within two different countries. Thanks for the shared input Takuma, much appreciated that, still I have high hopes for this film coming from the Mo Brothers. Now it's only a matter of time before I see this one and it can't come soon enough!

According to a

held in Tokyo the Indonesian version is censored for violence. A bit surprising - my impression of Indonesian cinema is pretty extreme indeed considering some of the recent examples like The Raid and its supposedly even more violent sequel.

The Japanese print is supposed to be uncut.

watched it last night,very brutal but with this movie indonesia put itself on the map of movie making.... the few fight scenes (non martial art) are intense and realistic... its a great movie.

Drunken Monk

I tried to watch it over the weekend but I think I just wasn't in the mood. I felt that it was slow and meandering and so turned it off. I'll have to give it another try at some point as I've heard good things.

Archived