Female Convict Scorpion

Gwai LO

Tried to find a previous thread but could not. was wondering if anyone has seen this? looks kinda interesting and its free on netflix.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the people on Netflix gave it REALLLY bad reviews but for the most most a lot of those people expect hollywood style movies. if anyone has seen it let me know if its worth a watch before i waste 2 hours of my life

OpiumKungFuCracker

Yeah I don't trust netflix reviews which is usually made up of a bunch of soccer fart moms stuck at home watching the Today show or the view. Netflix is increasing their Asian movies since the last time I signed up with them.

I am going to check this out tonight when I get off . I've never left a review, but ill do my best after I watch it

One Armed Boxer

This should be in the Japanese section....

I couldn't link to the youtube video (by the way, if you check the forum tip at the top of the page, it explains how to embed videos within the post, much easier!)....but there's a dedicated thread to the actress Meiko Kaiji here, which talks mainly about the 'Female Convict Scorpion' series in which she plays the main character Sasori -

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5113

Excellent series, with the second entry 'Jail House 41' being a surreal masterpiece. She was also the actress who plays 'Lady Snowblood'.

If however the link was to the cheapo shot-on-video DTV Japanese series from a few years back, well, don't even bother.

It's actually a manga that was turned into several series.

The original series, staring Meiko Kaji, made in the 70s, is amazing. The second film in particular (Female Convict Scorpion: Jailhouse 41) is damn near a masterpiece, pretty much transcending the "pinky" label. I'd put this up there with Lady Snowblood or the Lone Wolf & Cub films as far arty-action-exploitation goes.

Then there was a trilogy after Kaji left, with a new actress called New Female Prisoner Scorpion. Solid, but not nearly as jawdropping as the first quartet.

Then the series was revived in the 90s in a much more low-budget sexploitation mode

There was another adaptation in 2011, which I never saw.

And now it looks like they're trying again. but I don't like the cheap digital look. Some people go for that stuff, so who knows?

This should be in the Japanese section.....
I actually think this is a Hong Kong adaptation.

Then there was a trilogy after Kaji left, with a new actress called New Female Prisoner Scorpion. Solid, but not nearly as jawdropping as the first quartet.

Two films, not trilogy. And two actresses: Yumi Takigawa (School of the Holy Beast) in the first and and Yoko Natsuki in the second. Both films have excellent supporting cast, the second one especially (Masashi Ishibashi, Takeo Chii, Hiroshi Tachi...) but yeah, they're not on par with the utterly fantastic first four movies with Meiko Kaji.

But yeah, I think this thread is about the 2008 HK-JP co-production.

Archived