Shout! Factory releasing more Golden Harvest titles...

mpm74

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"I know you're crazy about the girl, and we think they make a fine pair! He's probably somewhere thinking the same thing..."

:nerd:

"I know you're crazy about the girl, and we think they make a fine pair! He's probably somewhere thinking the same thing..."

:nerd:

Right this minute!

sure hope they can break into WB lockup.. need some NEW titles not these old catalogue stock

Rumor has it…. they will.

shaolin swords

very interesting:bigsmile:if there are any more movies going to be released let us know

thanks for the info

Secret Executioner

Looks nice. Let's hope they won't screw up, seems like SF has a thing for messing up badly (see the threads on th Bruce Lee or Jackie Chan releases).

Killer Meteor

Hopefully Lady Whirlwind will be a newer NTSC master, compared to the HK DVD. It's one of my fave 70's kung fu flicks.

Good news, shame no Blu ray, although most of there BR releases were upscales anyhow. Also lets hope they have original mono and not the awful 5.1 remixes. I already have the HK Legends Hapkido and have no interest in Lady Whirlwind so will be interesting to see what else they release.

Interesting. But, I am sure this will be only what they get. But, if the price is right, I will be picking this up since I do not own either one.

Shout has a tendency to buy portions of a catalogue at a time. I'm putting money on it that we will see a lot more 70's Golden Harvest titles.

Even though SF`s name was dragged through the mud with the BL fiasco, they are still in bed with FS. I don`t know if I could trust FS to deliver the right master after that (if that was even the case; as they claimed). Not only that, but SF must know that a lot of people will probably give this a pass after what happened previously. But, then again, there might be enough interest in the titles to warrant a purchase for average old school fan. Maybe Shout will just be sticking to dvd releases since they got so much flack regarding their blu ray releases. It will be interesting to see what may get released in the future by them regarding these GH titles. I know that they can only release what they are given and FS does not seem interested in investing any more money into these titles.

• Administrator
Looks nice. Let's hope they won't screw up, seems like SF has a thing for messing up badly (see the threads on th Bruce Lee or Jackie Chan releases).

They fixed the Bruce Lee set up, and it's fantastic. How many companies make a mistake in their releases of older films and then FIX IT? :smile: Not too many. Dragon Dynasty? Uh... no. Usually it's "Oh well" at best, and no response at all at worst. I'm still a big fan of Shout!Factory. :nerd:

There are a lot of kung fu fans that don't have All-Region DVD players that haven't seen the HKL's version of HAPKIDO and they will love these releases. They're both kick ass films.

Even though SF`s name was dragged through the mud with the BL fiasco, they are still in bed with FS. I don`t know if I could trust FS to deliver the right master after that (if that was even the case; as they claimed).

Fortune Star has so many great titles that Shout! Factory doesn't have much of a choice but to continue dealing with them if they want to release kung fu classics. But now hopefully they will be ready and on the lookout for any bullshit that FS sends their way.

Secret Executioner
They fixed the Bruce Lee set up, and it's fantastic. How many companies make a mistake in their releases of older films and then FIX IT? :smile: Not too many. Dragon Dynasty? Uh... no. Usually it's "Oh well" at best, and no response at all at worst. I'm still a big fan of Shout!Factory. :nerd:

Hadn't followed all of the story, but it's very good if they acknowledged and corrected the mistakes. Heard some bad stuff on DD (and FS as well) but it seemed like SF was worse. Guess I was wrong in the end.

The HKL version of Hapkido wasn't exactly brilliant. Picture-wise it was fine, but it had the wrong audio and a new dub.

Killer Meteor
The HKL version of Hapkido wasn't exactly brilliant. Picture-wise it was fine, but it had the wrong audio and a new dub.

It did have genuine Mandarin mono, but it went out-of-sync during a fight.

It was also "pinkified"

I have to agree with our brother Kung Fu Bob on this one!!! Sure the Bruce Lee set had mistakes but it was fixed. Dragon Dynasty never admitted to mistakes and never fixed anything. :sad:

I say we give Shout Factory a chance to release the information on the discs before we jump down their throats. The only way we will get more classic martial arts films released is by supporting the companies who actually put them out. We all have our "want list" of what makes a perfect DVD release, but we also need to be realistic given what Shout and other companies have to work with.

I hope Shout does right by these releases sells a ton and gets more to release!!! :smile:

Really? It's been a while since I watched it. The back cover says Cantonese audio.

• Administrator
Hadn't followed all of the story, but it's very good if they acknowledged and corrected the mistakes. Heard some bad stuff on DD (and FS as well) but it seemed like SF was worse. Guess I was wrong in the end.

Yeah, they even sent out replacement discs to buyers. Though I didn't pick up any of the Jackie Chan discs that Shout! Factory released other than THE PROTECTOR, I really love the Bruce Lee set (all of those audio options that everyone is always clamoring for- they're on there), and have a lot of their horror/sci-fi Blu-ray titles (THE HOWLING, THE FOG, FROM BEYOND, DAY OF THE DEAD, HALLOWEEN II, etc) which feature lots of great special features. I hope they wind up putting some nice extras on some of their kung fu releases.

Same here. I missed the old dub, and thought the extras were weak.

It was also "pinkified"

This was definitely at the end of HKL's time of greatness.

You all seem so enthusiast with this " Shout factory "...Is the quality print of the movies better than the Joysales one ? I watched all these Angela Mao's movies a while ago and don't remember how I had found the quality print...

And where is it possible to find these movies from Shout factory ?

masterofoneinchpunch
You all seem so enthusiast with this " Shout factory "...Is the quality print of the movies better than the Joysales one ? I watched all these Angela Mao's movies a while ago and don't remember how I had found the quality print...

And where is it possible to find these movies from Shout factory ?

The Angela Mao films from Shout! are not released yet. The Hapkido and Lady Whirlwind combo will be released April 22 of this year. I suspect review copies will be obtained a few weeks or more earlier than that.

Archived