Has anyone seen 'The Flu' or 'Deranged'?

Superfly

Just recently found out about these 2 Korean films. I am a fan of these type of stories but the Blu-Rays are really expensive and I'm trying to see if they are worth it. Thanks.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're both really good. I preferred The Flu but really enjoyed both of them. I'm a bit of a sucker for these type of flicks if I'm honest. Also worth checking out is the Japanese film Pandemic, if you've never seen it, which you can usually pick up for a couple of quid.

They're both really good. I preferred The Flu but really enjoyed both of them. I'm a bit of a sucker for these type of flicks if I'm honest. Also worth checking out is the Japanese film Pandemic, if you've never seen it, which you can usually pick up for a couple of quid.

Thanks! I'm a sucker for those "outbreak" type of films too. Not sure what a quid is but I will look for Pandemic. Thanks a bunch!

Watched The Flu yesterday. Like the Korean version of the US movie outbreak. It doesn't really get moving until the last 30 - 40 minutes. The CG sticks out like a sore thumb in several scenes.

If you like massive disaster movies. I like Haeundae more. It stars Sol Kyung Gu along with many other Korean stars in a movie about a massive tidal wave taking out the southern costal city of Busan.

Watched The Flu yesterday. Like the Korean version of the US movie outbreak. It doesn't really get moving until the last 30 - 40 minutes. The CG sticks out like a sore thumb in several scenes.

If you like massive disaster movies. I like Haeundae more. It stars Sol Kyung Gu along with many other Korean stars in a movie about a massive tidal wave taking out the southern costal city of Busan.

I have seen Haeundae. I actually was slightly disappointed with it.

I have seen Haeundae. I actually was slightly disappointed with it.

Hard not to be with the big budget movies. It is Korea trying their best to imitate Hollywood. Big budget - check, several big name stars - check, large special effects filled disaster of some sort - check. Best not to get your hopes up too much.

In the end it is all subjective. Plenty of movies I've disliked, other have liked, and vice versa.

The Flu was paint by the numbers as was Haeundae.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

I just watched this with my wife. I thought she'd like it because she is a big fan of Steven Soderbergh's film CONTAGION (2011, USA).

DERANGED (2012, South Korea) This actually seems like it may have been Korea's response to Soderbergh flick, which was released just ten months earlier. It's a drama/thriller/horror film about a mysterious ailment that inexplicably drives people into bodies of water, and soon the rivers, ponds and streams are littered with corpses. The film follows one down-on-his-luck family man, his wife, two children, and his estranged brother and his girlfriend as they contend with the nation-wide disaster. Well made and acted, with enough suspense and emotion to keep the viewer involved. But it never quite achieves the chilling heights it is clearly reaching for. A decent thriller, but nothing too special. 6.5/10

Archived