Jackie Chan - First Strike Uncut

reason108

Just saw this uncut on youtube after all of these years. The only version of the movie that I had seen previously was the heavily edited U.S. version. And, though it is not the best Jackie film, I think that the uncut version is better. There are a few scenes that go on a little longer than need be but otherwise some of the finer points were missing in the cut version that I knew. And, if I remember, the US version was re-dubbed? Not 100% sure about that but I remember that everything was in English. But, I was surprised seeing the uncut version that it did contain so much English language. I would rather them had this be the breakout film instead of Rumble in the Bronx.

Perhaps I should give Jackie`s 90`s output another watch. The only thing that I remember holding up was Drunken Master II. The other movies were hit-n-miss for me. But, perhaps I need to track down the uncut versions of Who Am I? and Accidental Spy and give them a shot.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I watched the uncut version on a tape that a Chinese friend of mine dubbed from a rented copy years ago when I was still in high school. I remember the aquarium fight scene running a bit longer and the credits song from the original Police Story playing over the credits here, too. It was fun, and I really need to revisit this particular movie.

Secret Executioner

That thread reminded me I saw it recently. Found it so bad I completely forgot about it. (talking of the "regular" version here I guess)

The international version is better paced and feels more like an action film whereas the HK-version drags and explains things that don't need explaining. Furthermore the score of the international cut is way better than the lame HK-soundtrack. Nevertheless I'd like to see good versions of all three New Line-enhanced JC-movies.

The international version is better paced and feels more like an action film whereas the HK-version drags and explains things that don't need explaining. Furthermore the score of the international cut is way better than the lame HK-soundtrack. Nevertheless I'd like to see good versions of all three New Line-enhanced JC-movies.

Exactly. It's a bad film to begin with. The US version makes it a little less bad by improving editing.

I never found it to be a bad film. It's not a great Jackie Chan film, but the US version was a short, inoffensive piece of action fluff.

Archived