Best Angela Mao Movie?

One Armed Boxer

Which is the best Angela Mao movie?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the best Angela Mao movie?

• Broken Oath (1977)
    • The Himalayan (1976)
    • Stoner (1974)
    • The Tournament (1974)
    • When Taekwondo Strikes / Sting of the Dragon Masters (1973)
    • Hapkido / Lady Kung Fu (1972)
    • Lady Whirlwind / Deep Thrust (1971)

One Armed Boxer

I'm thinking of investing in some Angela Mao DVD's in the near future, and was curious to get your opinion on what you consider to be her best movie out of the titles listed? I'm not really interested in the wuxia movies she starred in, my interest is in her more latter day efforts when she was often teamed up with Korean co-stars and the focus was on her Hapkido & Taekwondo skills.

If you can let me know the reasons behind your choice, that would be even better. Cheers!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only seen a couple of those, so I can't really say. But I like how her eyes start buggin at some point in everything she's in :neutral:

For me, it's definately Broken Oath. Strong story and fantastic finale. Excellent fight scenes and a really fine film all the way.

I've only seen a couple of her movies so far and really enjoyed The Tournament although I felt it peaked somewhere in the middle of the movie. I didn't think Lady Whirlwind was in the same league to be honest.

Drunken Monk

I went on an Angela Mao kick recently myself having only ever seen "Dance of Death." I picked up "Broken Oath," "The Himalayan" and "The Tournament."

I haven't seen "The Himalayan" yet but, in my opinion, "Broken Oath" tops "The Tournament" by quite. Both are worth watching though.

Hapkido is great, especially when you consider when it was made , 1972. But my vote went for Broken Oath, the best all round film even if the story was a rip of Lady Snowblood.

I haven't seen the Himalayan or Stoner yet but Broken Oath blew me away when I watched it for the first time a couple years ago. Angela definitely has that coldass icy stare down.

Yang Wu Liang

Out of those choices I'd say my favourite is Broken Oath by some distance. I like Three Lady Constables just as much though, mainly for some great banter between the ladies and some nice shapes.

I have to say Basher era films aren't really my cup of tea, I didn't really enjoy her earlier stuff.

One Armed Boxer

Thanks for all the feedback guys, looks like 'Broken Oath' got a lot of love by quite a distance!

What's interesting is that I thought 'When Taekwondo Strikes' would get a lot of attention, considering it's the only one of the titles which went out of print very quickly, and is pretty expensive to pick up, but surprisingly it didn't get a single vote. A case of the rarity of the DVD not matching the quality of the movie?

I still haven't seen Broken Oath (but I have the DVD here staring at me), but I'd highly recommend The Tournament and The Himalayan.

When Tae Kwan Doe Strikes is my least favorite of her kung fu films.

For me it is either Hapkido, The Himalayan or Broken Oath but a lot of her other movies are a bit of a blur to me and I forget which is which as a lot of them are very similar. I might have to re-watch a lot of them again.

Chinatown Kid

Everybody seems to feel Broken Oath is best and i've never seen it so went ahead and ordered it from fivestarlaser. Also got When Taekwondo Strikes cause somebody borrowed mine and never gave it back:sad: Had to get The Himilayan too for an upgrade from the boot I have(damn George tan you weasel!)

Everybody seems to feel Broken Oath is best and i've never seen it so went ahead and ordered it from fivestarlaser.

Let us know if you actually receive it. It seems FSL have been shafting people lately, myself included.

I'm going with "When TaeKwonDo Strikes", cause it's got this scene:

Angela is very naturally athletic, but Sammo does such a fantastic job of selling it when he's fighting her.

Secret Executioner
I'm going with "When TaeKwonDo Strikes", cause it's got this scene:

Angela is very naturally athletic, but Sammo does such a fantastic job of selling it when he's fighting her.

That's what I call a great scene. :nerd:

I haven't voted as I don't have a big knowledge of her films. Guess I'm missing out on some great stuff.

Jesse Smooth

HIMALAYAN and BROKEN OATH are her best, skill level and choreography wise. The rest of them are fun bashers to watch.

Chinatown Kid
Let us know if you actually receive it. It seems FSL have been shafting people lately, myself included.

WTF!:ooh: well luckily I was gonna wait till Monday to actually place the order, glad I did. Is FSL taking people's money and not delivering the DVDs? Should I go with DDDHouse instead?(that is if they have the films in stock:squigglemouth:)

Is FSL taking people's money and not delivering the DVDs?

Yep! I ordered a few discs earlier this year. They took my money and never sent them!

There's a thread about it here.

Okay so this thread has inspired me to watch arguably the most popular Angela Mao movie according to this forum, Broken Oath, and I wasn't really that impressed. It was okay, no more no less.Angela looked great as usual, doing some nice moves but it really didn't do it for me. I much preferred The Tournament.

It's not a bad movie by any stretch but as far as the story goes I'd rather watch Lady Snowblood. I can't really put my finger on it but I wasn't really drawn into the story, nor really cared about the characters and the fights didn't do an awful lot for me. Not to mention the awful finale(Angela Mao's part of it) that was ridiculously under cranked. It's kind of weird considering how subtle the under cranking was earlier in the movie that they went to such extremes later on.

Archived