47 Ronin (2014)

shaolin swords

masterofoneinchpunch
2 hours ago, Karlos said:

@masterofoneinchpunchthat was a fantastic read, bro. I love write-ups like this: looking at the film from many angles.

It's got me itching to give it a rewatch!

Thank you! At some point I'll have an essay on this which will be a reworking of my theater essay (which actually got published online, but that place is now gone) and the Twitter essay.

Here's my theater story:

Superflous Story 

I hate being late for a movie. I know you usually have that buffer of 12 or more minutes of trailers (except for indie and documentaries) but I still hate being late. I naively thought that since I had to work that day and I took off early for the movie that everyone else was working the day after Christmas. I had thoughts of an empty theater where I could sit where I want, put my legs anywhere and have easy access to the restroom. When I got to the line, I thought I'm going to miss the beginning crap! As I am mentally pushing the people ahead of me to pull out their money and be ready to purchase their tickets, I also silently curse those who fuddle with their pockets, dropping their change and not realizing the film they want to see is much later and holding up the line. Still I thought a mad rush through the doors, trip to the restroom and I would not miss much. Crap! The restroom is out-of-order (there are others, but none near where I was going. Oh well, I will wait until later. As I get into the theater I had the joy of noticing the THX intro and realized I am just in time. Ahh, something good happened. Crap! The theater is almost full, I was not expecting that. As your pupils widen to accommodate more light you scan a place to sit down. I had a friend with me so I had to find two seats (or split up which works well if there are not combined seats.) Crap! There are two adjacent seats available in the middle. I am a little tall so squeezing my way past several people is never fun, plus the fact that one lady would not move her feet, so I almost ended up falling in the next row. Why is there a coat in my chair? Luckily the owner of that took it with her and I was able to squeeze in. I thought it would be prudent to stop drinking my chai/chocolate/coffee/random ingredients drink (known as Franken-chai at my favorite coffee establishment which is close to the theater) as I realized I was not going to be able to get out until the movie was over. Crap! 

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

One Armed Boxer
On 2/28/2023 at 9:00 AM, masterofoneinchpunch said:

Superflous Story 

I hate being late for a movie. I know you usually have that buffer of 12 or more minutes of trailers (except for indie and documentaries) but I still hate being late. I naively thought that since I had to work that day and I took off early for the movie that everyone else was working the day after Christmas. I had thoughts of an empty theater where I could sit where I want, put my legs anywhere and have easy access to the restroom. When I got to the line, I thought I'm going to miss the beginning crap! As I am mentally pushing the people ahead of me to pull out their money and be ready to purchase their tickets, I also silently curse those who fuddle with their pockets, dropping their change and not realizing the film they want to see is much later and holding up the line. Still I thought a mad rush through the doors, trip to the restroom and I would not miss much. Crap! The restroom is out-of-order (there are others, but none near where I was going. Oh well, I will wait until later. As I get into the theater I had the joy of noticing the THX intro and realized I am just in time. Ahh, something good happened. Crap! The theater is almost full, I was not expecting that. As your pupils widen to accommodate more light you scan a place to sit down. I had a friend with me so I had to find two seats (or split up which works well if there are not combined seats.) Crap! There are two adjacent seats available in the middle. I am a little tall so squeezing my way past several people is never fun, plus the fact that one lady would not move her feet, so I almost ended up falling in the next row. Why is there a coat in my chair? Luckily the owner of that took it with her and I was able to squeeze in. I thought it would be prudent to stop drinking my chai/chocolate/coffee/random ingredients drink (known as Franken-chai at my favorite coffee establishment which is close to the theater) as I realized I was not going to be able to get out until the movie was over. Crap! 

10th Anniversary Edition :tongueout

• Like 2

masterofoneinchpunch
13 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

10th Anniversary Edition :tongueout

Oh yeah I was not going to rewrite that part :D (though the small essay above was a complete rewrite, I'll be mixing the two (original essay, newer essay) and new information for the new essay.

Edited by masterofoneinchpunch
  • Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1