Ant-Man (2015)

AlbertV

Isn't there also Avengers: Age Of Ultron this year ? I thought this one was to conclude P2... Then we'll have a shitload of other movies building up to Avengers 3 and the possible crossover with the Guardians Of The Galaxy (Doctor Strange, Iron Man 4, Captain America 3 and Thor 3 are already confirmed IIRC).

Avengers: Age of Ultron comes out in May and Ant-Man will be released in July. Marvel confirmed that Ant-Man is the final Phase II film.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Secret Executioner
Avengers: Age of Ultron comes out in May and Ant-Man will be released in July. Marvel confirmed that Ant-Man is the final Phase II film.

My bad then.

ShaOW!linDude

In the comics, Ant-Man's helmet contained cybernetics that allowed him to communicate with ants. He had used a special gas to shrink and enlarge himself.

OpiumKungFuCracker
In the comics, Ant-Man's helmet contained cybernetics that allowed him to communicate with ants. He had used a special gas to shrink and enlarge himself.

Seriously? That is an insane amount of advantages for him going up against foes. What happens when he's not in his suit, does he still have ant like sensibilities?

ShaOW!linDude
Seriously? That is an insane amount of advantages for him going up against foes. What happens when he's not in his suit, does he still have ant like sensibilities?

Hah! No, the original character Hank Pym was a scientist. The Scott Lang character this based on was an ex-con desperate to save his daughter. Neither are like Peter Parker/Spider-Man with actual ant-like abilities.

Secret Executioner

But that gas has side-effects in that it can affect the mind after a long exposure - I think Pym has gone insane at a point.

ShaOW!linDude
But that gas has side-effects in that it can affect the mind after a long exposure - I think Pym has gone insane at a point.

That's new to me. I don't remember that ever being brought out. I'm not saying you're wrong by any means. I've just never heard that. Are we talking Ultimates universe or pre-Ultimates universe here?

I will defer to Karlos whose knowledge surpasses my own in these matters. Brother K, you there?

They are using that angle, but not from Scott Lang. This will be used on the angle of Darren Cross, played by Corey Stoll. Cross will become Yellowjacket as a result of the side-effects.

If memory serves, the schizophrenia (brought about by chemical use) element to Pym's character has long since been abandoned, but the idea that Pym is mentally ill in some way has often been hinted at, especially during the time Pym hit his wife in Avengers, an incident that caused fan fury back in the day.

Even now, old school fans dislike the character because of that.

I often figured Lang was brought in to keep the “Ant-Man” character alive without having to use Pym himself.

The O’grady version was fresh, funny and far too short lived.

ShaOW!linDude
If memory serves, the schizophrenia (brought about by chemical use) element to Pym's character has long since been abandoned, but the idea that Pym is mentally ill in some way has often been hinted at, especially during the time Pym hit his wife in Avengers, an incident that caused fan fury back in the day.

Even now, old school fans dislike the character because of that.

I often figured Lang was brought in to keep the “Ant-Man” character alive without having to use Pym himself.

The O’grady version was fresh, funny and far too short lived.

And this is why I defer to Karlos. :wink: Excellent info, and I'm not familiar with the O'Grady version. Guess I'll be looking into that.

I never even considered that Lang was brought on after the abuse incident. Interesting point. I think you're onto something there.

Secret Executioner
That's new to me. I don't remember that ever being brought out. I'm not saying you're wrong by any means. I've just never heard that. Are we talking Ultimates universe or pre-Ultimates universe here?

Had forgotten about these changes with the Ultimates series (like DC with their recent New 52 stuff that retconned so much and altered even more stuff...), though I gather his insanity could as well have been rectonned earlier.

That reminds me of the time a X-Men series had Kitty Pride and Colossus sleeping together and the writers hinted that they were under some kind of mind control because it caused some kind of outrage... Though I agree that a good guy beating his wife (even if she is a superhero herself) isn't that great and is clearly a bad move no matter what...

They are using that angle, but not from Scott Lang. This will be used on the angle of Darren Cross, played by Corey Stoll. Cross will become Yellowjacket as a result of the side-effects.

Checked out this character as I never heard of him and he seems sorta like a Tony Stark B: billionaire tycoon with a big-shot company who has a heart condition and whose pacemaker is also a source of power. Only he's evil and apparently fought the Scott Lang Ant-Man.

The idea of having him instead of Pym as Yellowjacket is a bit puzzling, but I guess anything goes in a world where a major villain from the comics becomes a comedian covering up for the real bad guy who is yet another boring mad scientist (Mandarin in IM3 anyone ?)...

The idea of having him instead of Pym as Yellowjacket is a bit puzzling, but I guess anything goes in a world where a major villain from the comics becomes a comedian covering up for the real bad guy who is yet another boring mad scientist (Mandarin in IM3 anyone ?)...

Which is why they are having Cross be an original protege of Hank Pym in the film version and I'm guessing Pym knows what Cross is intending to do so he asks Scott to take up the mantle of the Ant-Man.

Secret Executioner
Which is why they are having Cross be an original protege of Hank Pym in the film version and I'm guessing Pym knows what Cross is intending to do so he asks Scott to take up the mantle of the Ant-Man.

The way it's put sounds strange, but it may make sense. Pym knows he can't take on Cross on his own, so he decides to find someone to become the new Ant-Man and to help him - and it seems (from the trailer) that he's been watching Scott Lang for some time.

Archived