Pound of Flesh (2015) - Van Damme to re-team with Ernie Barbarash

mpm74

TibetanWhiteCrane

Using Darren's death as a teaser for one of your grammatically challenged reviews has to be the vilest fucking thing i've seen in a long time!

He was your friend... good close friend was he? And had that even been the case, it would actually just make it more despicable. It's not enough to plagiarise left and right, you have to use a man's death to plug your incoherent babble? What kind of a person are you?

post-262-144191904945_thumb.jpg

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Secret Executioner
Drawing comparisons to 'Assassination Games' and 'Six Bullets' isn't really setting the benchmark very high in terms of quality. I'd rather know how the movie compares to more recently released titles like 'Skin Trade' & 'Falcon Rising'?

A comparison to Skin Trade could be nice, especially wityh both films having an apparently strong dramatic tone (and involving relatively similar subjects).

Using Darren's death as a teaser for one of your grammatically challenged reviews has to be the vilest fucking thing i've seen in a long time!

He was your friend... good close friend was he? And had that even been the case, it would actually just make it more despicable. It's not enough to plagiarise left and right, you have to use a man's death to plug your incoherent babble? What kind of a person are you?

Harsh, man (even though you have good points). :squigglemouth:

One Armed Boxer
Harsh, man (even though you have good points). :squigglemouth:

Harsh yes, but understandable. I'm not too sure what Albert's thought process was behind using Darren's death as click-bait (or a 'hint', whatever you want to call it) to direct people towards his review, but it does come across as quite distasteful.

Clearly distasteful enough to offend Shahlavi fans by the tone of the reaction. I think the most respectful thing we can do here is keep the thread on topic and keep discussing 'Pound of Flesh', which I definitely intend to do once it hits DVD.

ShaOW!linDude
Harsh yes, but understandable. I'm not too sure what Albert's thought process was behind using Darren's death as click-bait (or a 'hint', whatever you want to call it) to direct people towards his review, but it does come across as quite distasteful.

Clearly distasteful enough to offend Shahlavi fans by the tone of the reaction. I think the most respectful thing we can do here is keep the thread on topic and keep discussing 'Pound of Flesh', which I definitely intend to do once it hits DVD.

Agreed, though I will note that AV's review isn't as exclusive as he stated on his FB page since CityOnFire actually posted one last month.

http://www.cityonfire.com/pound-of-flesh-2015-review-jean-claude-van-damme-darren-shahlavi/

I'm willing to bet this link is in this thread somewhere, too. (Ah, post #16.)

Secret Executioner

I didn't mean on this point specifically (it's one of the good points I was referring to actually), but anyway let us move on on that matter.

I didn't mean on this point specifically (it's one of the good points I was referring to actually), but anyway let us move on on that matter.

Yes, I admit, I should have used my train of thought better at the time and decided to delete that very post out of respect for everyone, including Darren himself. And TWC, thank you personally for making me see the light of it. I was trying to find a proper way to write the hint and I let my ASD get the best of me at the time. But thank you, seriously...I'm not being sarcastic on this.

However, as for the review itself, I did enjoy the film. Darren was a good villain in the film and the second half of the film really made it more worth watching. So, as GHW said...let's just move on.

DragonClaws

I know Ive already asked this, but does anyone here know what the U.K release date is?.

This here shows that Salvitti's ambitious work has been at the hands of people (judging by the reviews) who don't understand shooting fight scenes.

2Lm53L_cl20

Well, it was modestly entertaining, but that's the best I can say about POUND OF FLESH. The story starts engaging but gets more and more uninteresting as it meanders through various little plot points none of which are really surprising. But okay, it is an action cheapo and boy, does it show. The movie doesn't demand effect shots but still there are plenty, mostly driving scenes with some of the worst green screen composites in years. The highlight is a view of the night sky with a big moon in front of the clouds passing by. Of course all the muzzle flashes are CGI, very obvious ones.

But what about the action? The fights are not very exciting. The choreography might not be that bad but editing and photography are, which is surprising as the few action scenes in ASSASSINATION GAMES were fairly competently shot and edited. Shootouts are solid, though.

After FALCON RISING I had high hopes for POUND OF FLESH and at least it didnt disappoint completely. But it certainly isn't something special. I had more fun with the latest Lundgren- and Seagal-flick.

I watched this last Saturday during a bout with insomnia. I thought it was a good movie. I enjoyed the story and how the backstory between the brothers unfurls little by little as the story goes on, plus I liked the good one/bad seed dichotomy between the characters. The action was solid and there was a lot more ground fighting than I was expecting for a Van Damme film. He still gets to do a few good kicks and splits, but nothing like the old days. I thought the last few moments had some particularly good acting from Van Damme as well. As for Darren, I couldn't help but think of Scott Adkins' character from The Expendables whenever I looked at him. The main flaws to me were the CGI, especially the digital smoke that appeared whenever a bullet hit a surfasse, and the female protagonist, who contributes almost nothing to the actual story once she starts tagging along with the heroes. And I'm Always glad to see Aki Aleong getting work.

Archived